What's new

The best Scotch, Bourbon, and Whiskey for a beginner

There have been quite a few great suggestions on this board. If you get the chance go to a bar specializing in whiskeys and try a few from the list. There is a bar in my hometown, in Michigan not here in Okinawa, that has over 200 whiskeys to choose from. That way you don't break the bank on a high end bottle you end up not liking.

I saw Balvenie Doublewood 12 recommended for beginners, so I've gone with that.

Nothing to compare it to yet, but v happy so far :001_smile

Beginner's bourbon I would recommend Four Roses Small Batch. For Scotch (a little pricey) but I would recommend either Glenmorange or Glenlivet.

Maker's Mark is a good, inexpensive starting point. If you like it, there are many more complex bourbons you can move on to from there.

For scotch, get a mini of Johnnie Walker Black. JW Red Label is more for mixing.

For more info than you could ever want, check out Ralfy's reviews on YouTube. He has several hundred lengthy reviews on anything and everything.

Just bought a bottle of Maker's, I'll be cracking into that one as soon as my bottle of Gentleman is dry. I'm trying my best not to switch around too often (kind of like a sampler pack of DEs). I'm enjoying starting a bottle and not trying any other type until that bottle is finished. Is this a good method?

I like having a choice, so I try and keep a few varied bottles around. My early on, developing a taste selections would be:

Scotch - The Glenlivet, Dalmore, Johnny Walker Swing (Not the easiest to find), Dewars White Label (Blended)
Bourbon - Blanton's (I'm not a big bourbon guy, but I like what I like)
Whiskey - Crown Royal or Pendleton

Just bought a bottle of Maker's, I'll be cracking into that one as soon as my bottle of Gentleman is dry. I'm trying my best not to switch around too often (kind of like a sampler pack of DEs). I'm enjoying starting a bottle and not trying any other type until that bottle is finished. Is this a good method?

That's what we do.
Get one bottle and spend a week with it. Next weekend, get another bottle of the same if we liked it, or try something different.

Took a few months to settle in on Bulleit Rye as a favorite for both of us, followed by GJ, followed by Jameson or Bushmills.

My recommendations:

Blended Scotch: Johnny Walker bBlack, not the greatest but fairly standard and a good base line

Blended Malt: Grant's Monkey Shoulder, pretty good blending of the Grant malts

Single Malt: AnCnoc 12

Canadian: Any of the Wisers

Irish: Bushmills Single Malt

Bourbon: Buffalo Trace

Try some real RYE whiskey instead of bourbon or scotch. Similar to bourbon, but not as sweet. Good brands are Wild Turkey, Bullitt, J.W. Pepper 1776, Jim Beam.

I know it only because the distillery is in the city where I work, but if you can locate it do yourself a favor and pick up a bottle of St. George Spirits Single Malt Whiskey. I runs around $65 and is worth every penny. I have given it neat to whiskey/bourbon haters and converted them. My wife keeps a bottle of it for herself.

On a side note, they also produce a fantastic vodka under the Hangar One brand. Again, top notch and the flavored vodkas they produce are hard to beat. If you are in the SF Bay area, take the time to find the distillery and take a tasting tour.

Pig's Nose (blended scotch). Very smooth, very mild, and very enjoyable to drink.

After trying about 2.5-3 dozen scotches, bourbons, and whiskeys over the last few years, I wish someone would've suggested something this smooth and mellow when I started (rather than the harsher put-hair-on-your-chest drinks). Although I mostly drink the more peaty and oaky Laphroaigs and Macallans, this would've been a good jumping off point. Can be found at most liquor purveyors around $30-35.

Last edited:
The scotch that made me a scotch lover is a blended easy for beginner Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban and the Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or those are some awesome beginner scotch.
And a good single malt Lagavulin 16, good luck in you adventure!

Jim Beam gets my vote.

Yea, didn't try JW Red till the Jesse Stone series... it's not good...

Last edited:
Scotch: I'd say Highland Park is a great suggestion, but would also throw in Glenmorange and Macallan. The 10 yr Glenmorange is a great buy and is in the same price range as the HP12. I don't love Macallan, but it's a good, approachable scotch that can open doors. It's pricey for a 12yr and I think the Glenmorange wood-finish offerings or 18 yr is better in that $60'ish range. The Necatr d'Or is probably my favorite wood finish, followed by the Port wood. The Glenmorange 10 is a great go at $35-40 and I normally keep it around.

Bourbon: I drink Woodford Reserve, but would also recommend Knob Creek (my backup to Woodford), Bookers, and Basil Hayden.

Other Whiskey: Jameson is a good, and VERY available Irish whiskey. Bullet Rye is a must try as well.

I drink all of my whiskey neat, with just a drop or 3 of water. I suggest you start with a small pour into a glass, then very slowly add purified water to your liking. The really thin caps used on most water bottles is a good measuring device to find out what you like and not over do it in the process. Try it with a single ice cube too.

If you're going to dump it in coke, get some cheap but respectable. There's no need for top shelf though.

I think I'd recommend the above, except for Bourbon - I might go Blanton's, but Knob Creek is a good choice.

Glenmorangie, Highland Park, Macallan (in that order) are all good starters. I don't think there is a bad whisky in any of their varieties, and many of them are reasonably priced, and easy to find.

I recommend the largest ice cube you can find, so it doesn't melt too much in the glass. You do need a little water to open it up, and I would try it room temp with splashes of water, and chilled with a big block ice cube (not the same glass, though, you'll need to try it twice, LOL). Neat should be the last try - work up to the full flavor so you can appreciate it. If you're going to leave the ice in it, then make a small pour so 2-3 sips will get it down, or you'll have to pick up the pace before it waters down too much.

Although hard to find in the USA, Nikka and Suntory make excellent Japanese whisky. Good for starters as well, as they tend to be more like the milder Scottish whisky's mentioned above.

Is it just me or is Makers Mark a bit over hyped. I know that taste is subjective and I'm not a big straight whiskey drinker but when enjoying a cigar I like one on the rocks or a good Old Fashioned. I not impressed with Makers, in the same price range I think Pendleton is better.

Top Bottom