What's new

The best 10 bucks you ever spent (on shaving)

I have scuttles and various lathering containers but this is my go-to bowl. It is rubber (no clacking noise) light weight and is textured on the bottom which helps the lathering process.

PXL_20220812_153010629.PORTRAIT.jpg

I won an eBay auction for some vintage razors for 4.99 on eBay, they added like 9 bucks for shipping..My numbers and memory could be a little off. Some of them were in good condition and just needed a good cleaning. I’m not sure how many razors were included. I think it was like 8-10.

Gillette aristocrat (not sure on the year)
Four Gem razors, one is a junior, one open comb and one closed comb.
One Schick injector razor
Two modern razors that were painted with black paint..They had DE 89 heads..They weren’t vintage
Merkur mustache razor with a new pack merkur mustache blades
Vintage star razor
And some bakelight/or other plastic double edge razor..

Found these at an antique shop some years ago. Two Slims, an English Rocket and an English Knack/Slim Twist.

View attachment 1556728

I asked the prices and the lady said they're each $1. Needless to say I splurged and bought them all. Oh, and lunch after at the KFC down the road was six bucks so grand total, my best $10 spent on shaving.
Truly “winner winner chicken dinner” lol

A Tie- $9.99 for a Razorock plissoft brush online that became my favorite brush, or $10 1940’s style undated Gillette Superspeed at an East Texas antique mall that was covered in brown crud that looked like rust but cleaned up like new for $10.
Also $10 at the same mall was a LNIB plastic handle Gem SE which I sold. Couldn’t deal with large flat SE razor head drag for a mild razor and it was just too nice to sit in a drawer.

Grant's microfiber cleaning cloth from Harbor Freight 12" x 12" Microfiber 12 for $4.99. I love them because I can control the water level, nice and wet for both post-shave hot and first cold then very dry for second cold so that it is all tacky and mostly dry for my aftershave splash and whatever balm/lotion. Then when I am all done shaving I can wipe down my stand and counter/sink area so it is nice and Tidy. Give it a try!

For brushes it would be my Zenith 80B Unbleached Boar. For soaps, too many to pick from! Off the top of my head: Haslinger, Zitos, 3P, La Toja, MWF, Cyril R Salter hard soap...

Buying maca root shaving cream around 7 years ago when they had a buy one get 2 free. Ended up being $6 per can. That started me down the rabbit hole of luxury shaving.
The other best ten dollars I spent was getting an omega 10083 boar brush. That ended up being used more than my badger brush.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
The best $10 I ever spent on shaving was the $5 for a new stainless steel SR, $3 for a new combination 6k/10k natural whetstone and $2 for a new 45mm wide "leather" hanging strop. All came from China via AliExpress.

After spending a week honing and trying to get that blade to shave, I searched the internet and found B&B. With the knowledge then passed on to me, I realised that I had a RSO, useless whetstone and strop. I then invested $60 in a real SR, strop and lapping films and was off to the races - freefalling down the rabbit hole.

The only false information I received on B&B was that my RSO wouldn't even make a decent letter opener. With a lot of judicious honing, it made a fine letter opener!

$4.99 for a Gold Dallas 66 and $5 for a Tech.

Modded the 66 and was shaving as well as a $100 straight.

Picked up the tech here to test drive one. Figured out how to get a comfortable BBS from it and it’s now my traveler that’s cheap and easily replaceable

Top Bottom