What's new

The Association of Yates Owners - AYO

I have the Merica razor and I am looking to expand my Yates collection. My first instinct is to pick up the regular 921-M, but am wondering if there is a big enough difference to warrant getting it. I am hoping it is a slight step up in efficiency, but hear the M and H plate are similar in feel, but H plate is more efficient. The blade gap sounds too large for my liking, as I shave daily and do not really need to mow down any major growth.
I have the Merica, Winning, and 921-M. I find the Winning to be the mildest, then the Merica, and the 921-M the most efficient/"aggressive". I like all three of them but could get away with the Merica as the middle of the road honestly. The Winning is the easiest to shave with, it almost has a natural angle similar to Henson if I had to compare it. You can't go wrong with any of them really in my opinion. I will say the only thing I didn't love about the 921-M is the 4" long handle, it seemed a tad too long for me. YMMV as they say though. Hope this helps a bit.

Did you see last post on IG from Jakes? No idea if that mean more or less waiting time for next order..

I'm happy my 921 is already somewhere waiting for custom clearance in my country.
I do corporate research and usually when the founder steps away from the company its a bad sign. It usually means innovation in new products stops and quality falls. My understanding is his wife and partner will stay with the business. I wish her and Jake continued success and hope Yates Precision can continue to thrive!

I have the Merica, Winning, and 921-M. I find the Winning to be the mildest, then the Merica, and the 921-M the most efficient/"aggressive". I like all three of them but could get away with the Merica as the middle of the road honestly. The Winning is the easiest to shave with, it almost has a natural angle similar to Henson if I had to compare it. You can't go wrong with any of them really in my opinion. I will say the only thing I didn't love about the 921-M is the 4" long handle, it seemed a tad too long for me. YMMV as they say though. Hope this helps a bit.
I also did not enjoy the stock SS 4" handle that came with my non-custom SS 921 (too long for me as well) but they offer several other options (sold separately, stubby versions or custom versions, different metals) or using nylon washers as spacers, you can use a pretty much any handle you want (as long as the threads match). My 921 Ti 3.5" custom handle just arrived today and I look forward to shaving with it soon.

I do corporate research and usually when the founder steps away from the company its a bad sign. It usually means innovation in new products stops and quality falls. My understanding is his wife and partner will stay with the business. I wish her and Jake continued success and hope Yates Precision can continue to thrive!
I didn't see the IG post. Is Jake stepping away from the company?

I also did not enjoy the stock SS 4" handle that came with my non-custom SS 921 (too long for me as well) but they offer several other options (sold separately, stubby versions or custom versions, different metals) or using nylon washers as spacers, you can use a pretty much any handle you want (as long as the threads match). My 921 Ti 3.5" custom handle just arrived today and I look forward to shaving with it soon.
Sweet! Congrats on the Ti! I just swap the Merica or Winning handle for the 921 and use it that way. So I’m essentially using the same handle for all 3 of my Yates. The magnet feature at the base of the handle is pretty neat and has come in handy. Thanks for asking about the IG post, I didn’t know that Jake was stepping aside from doing full time Yates razors. It sounds like things will keep plugging along though so that’s good news.

IMG_3409.JPG

Another BBS shave, getting more confident with it

I have the Merica razor and I am looking to expand my Yates collection. My first instinct is to pick up the regular 921-M, but am wondering if there is a big enough difference to warrant getting it. I am hoping it is a slight step up in efficiency, but hear the M and H plate are similar in feel, but H plate is more efficient. The blade gap sounds too large for my liking, as I shave daily and do not really need to mow down any major growth.
In my experience with all of the 921 plates, if you need to shave everyday, the M plate will let you down. I think that folks who can go every other day would like this plate. I am an EH plate guy except for my head. On my head I use a H, scalloped. I cannot get a close enough shave with the M, face or head. I used an EH OC for over a year and just recently bought a scalloped EH. There is a difference in feel for me. Some days I really enjoy that raw feeling of the OC and some days not. There are occasional days where I just need to get through a shave and don't really care how the shave looks or feels. On those days I use the H plate. If any of this resonates with you, I caution you about the M plate. If you like an easy shave with no blade feel, and not smooth, the M plate might be for you.

• Wow
Reactions: Kix
2nd shave with Yates 921-H Ti / Perma-Sharp (2)

36 hours from last shave, usuall 3 passes

Well, this razor is so far one of best DE I have ever used. For only 2nd use very intuitive, easy close but skin friendly shave. Still not so close as with Blackbird, but as I learn Yates more I think H plate is great for daily use.

IMG_8021.jpeg

2nd shave with Yates 921-H Ti / Perma-Sharp (2)

36 hours from last shave, usuall 3 passes

Well, this razor is so far one of best DE I have ever used. For only 2nd use very intuitive, easy close but skin friendly shave. Still not so close as with Blackbird, but as I learn Yates more I think H plate is great for daily use.

View attachment 1844263
You can also try the sharpest of blades. I have found this razor/plate works best with Kai level sharp. I have also found that the usual aggressivness of the really sharp blades is tamed down quite a bit.

You can also try the sharpest of blades. I have found this razor/plate works best with Kai level sharp. I have also found that the usual aggressivness of the really sharp blades is tamed down quite a bit.
I personally don't think Kai blade is sharper as Perma-Sharp. Kai is only little bit wider, so it increase blade exposure, that is reason I like to use Kai blades in milder or neutral blade exposure razors. Here with H plate there is nice positive blade exposure already, and find Perma-Sharp very smooth and sharp for me. Probably prefer to buy EH plate for Yates and Kai will use in razors like WR2 low gaps, Karve Overlander or both Lambdas.

Top Bottom