What's new

The Association of Yates Owners - AYO

Thank you so much for this great information!
It has been a long time since I tried Ogallala. I have never tried with the Yates 921 razors.
Generally, do you face lather or bowl lather these soaps?
What type of brush do you tend to use with these soaps (synthetic, badger, boar, horse, etc.)?
Ogallala is on of my favorites. Love their combination bay rum scents.

Last edited:
SOTD 5-25-24

Attachments

• IMG_2486.jpeg
    IMG_2486.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11

Mr. Shavington

Knows Hot Turkish Toilets
Did you guys see the announcement from Jake Yates on Instagram a few weeks ago? Jake has taken a full time position as a mechanical engineer, working for a company called Form Energy. Yates Precision Manufacturing will continue but Jake will not be involved in the day-to-day operations or be running the business. Jake said he has been transitioning out of the operations for a couple of months and he is confident the staff at Yates are ready to run the business.

Just posting this since the thread popped up. Probably warrants a dedicated thread but I’m not a Yates customer and don’t know much about them. I just saw Jake’s video announcement in my Instagram feed.

Did you guys see the announcement from Jake Yates on Instagram a few weeks ago?
Yes we saw it and it was discussed here on that day when he posted it.

I still don't get it is better or not for us customers. It is for sure better for his family, what should also help that Jake stay happy and motivated but I personally don't see it good for waiting time for people who would order his razors.

I'm happy to have received my 921-H before, it is one of my best DE and I ordered also EH plate.. but waiting time is probably longer now as last time (2 months for production plus 1 month for shipping in my case)

For me personally is Yates with Lambda razors best bang for buck in industry now

Mr. Shavington

Yes we saw it and it was discussed here on that day when he posted it.

I still don't get it is better or not for us customers. It is for sure better for his family, what should also help that Jake stay happy and motivated but I personally don't see it good for waiting time for people who would order his razors.

I'm happy to have received my 921-H before, it is one of my best DE and I ordered also EH plate.. but waiting time is probably longer now as last time (2 months for production plus 1 month for shipping in my case)

For me personally is Yates with Lambda razors best bang for buck in industry now
Ok. Thanks. Sorry, I should have searched back in the thread before posting.

Mr. Shavington

No reason for sorry 🤣 we didn't find answer how that impact Yates razors inn future.. you are welcome to help us if you have any idea..
Well, I can’t see how this will make Yates razors better. I had the impression that the most important thing Jake‘s expertise gave was the ability to optimize machining quality and efficiency and solve problems - particularly when developing new products. So I guess I’d agree with some of the other posters (which I’ve seen now) who expect some impact on new product development. But perhaps periodically Jake will find time to do that, get a new razor into stable production, and then step away again.

I don’t really buy Jake’s comment that without his salary the business can improve by investing in more machinery. Logic (and the fact that his new job pays more) suggests to me that Jake would have drawn less salary than his contribution to the business was worth. But perhaps it is true that a business like YPM does not need to employ someone with Jake’s experience full time.

I think overall the future depends on how much time Jake will be able to find for YPM and what he does with that time. It may not necessarily be a negative development, but I have difficulty imagining how it could be a positive thing for YPM. There’s likely no reason to worry about the quality of future production of their existing razors, I would guess (but time will tell). Probably not good news for Paradigm fans who are hoping for more new razor models manufactured by YPM, though.

That’s all just uninformed layman’s logic, of course.

I do corporate research and usually when the founder steps away from the company its a bad sign. It usually means innovation in new products stops and quality falls. My understanding is his wife and partner will stay with the business. I wish her and Jake continued success and hope Yates Precision can continue to thrive!
As I wrote on May 6th, whenever we see a founder or CEO step away from the company we usually see it as a sign to sell the stock.

I ordered late April and got mine like 34 days later. This was for the stainless 921-M. What metal is yours? Was it BYOR?

4 shaves into ownership of the 921-M stainless. Surprising amount of blade feel(newbie to the hobby) for having neutral exposure, but I suppose other things may play into that. First shave was poor as I was getting used to the feeling and figuring out the angle. Second shave was excellent, closest I've ever had. I've tried a few different blades but I think I'm going to stick with one for a while and hopefully improve technique with few changes. Best for me so far is GSB & Permasharp. Both blades feel similar in most razors for me.

Top Bottom