What's new

The AeroPress Thread

I needed to come up with a no-fuss way to make morning coffee, for my better half and for those occasions when I just don't have time for doing espresso with the La Pav.

It needed to use the same coffee and grind settings that I use for espresso. And to be quick, i.e. minimal steeping.

After a bit of experimentation, the following seems to work really well:

- Inverted method
- Plunger set at number 4
- No pre-heating
- 10g espresso-grind coffee
- Fill to just over number 1 with water at 92degC
- Stir, wait 30s, invert and press

Simple, reliable and rapid. Makes a stunning cup, quality is well out of proportion to the effort involved.

In terms that B&Bers will understand, the Aeropress is my "daily driver." I'm the only one in my house who drinks coffee so I'd rather make a fresh cup at a time rather than use a machine and make several cups at once. The only time that the french press or the coffee machine comes out is when I'm brewing for more than 2.

The bonus with the Aeropress is that it's so simple and (again, in B&B terms) as "it's hard to nick yourself" with certain razors, it's hard to make a bad cup with an Aeropress.

linty1

My wallet cries.
I agree with the sentiment here, the aeropress is just so forgiving, you can use a fairly large range of grind sizes/steep/plunge times and still get a very drinkable cup. This is my recipe:

- invert tube
- in goes ground coffee (measured with their scoop)
- water too cover grounds and let degas for 30 seconds while swirling
- fill to near top and let steep for 2 minutes
- screw on top, flip and press with weight of arms, about a 30-45 second press.

The reason I use a clever coffee dripper at work is that it's even simpler and I can use it with both mugs and paper/styrofoam cups, and its easier to clean with less peices, and I still get a great cup with it.

My Aeropress routine is very similar to linty1's... used when at work on oil rig, offshore Gulf of Thailand (at home a Technivorm Moccamaster Cup-One does the job with a Barataza Sette 30 grinder).

• inverted
  • coffee beans ground with Kingrinder go in while my mini kettle boils
  • once boiled, water goes in (almost to top) and stir for about 20 to 30 secs
  • Fill up to top once stirrer removed & screw on the cap
  • Total immersion is a bit over 2 1/2 minutes (as per James Hoffmann latest guide since extraction is pretty complete after 2 minutes but 30 secs or whatever is too short and give more variable results)
  • Plunge it smoothly, not in any real hurry manner
  • Stumble down to galley and add a spot of hot water from the humongous hot water urn, add Condensed milk (this is for my morning lazy Cafe au Lait) then whack it in the microwave for about 30 seconds to get it back up to my good and hot temperature for enjoying.
  • Back to room to enjoy a d@mn fine coffee.
X_d0d8225c.jpg

Does anyone know if the funnel that came with the original AeroPress will fit the AeroPress Go?

What funnel do you use with the AeroPress Go (if you use a funnel)?

Does anyone know if the funnel that came with the original AeroPress will fit the AeroPress Go?

What funnel do you use with the AeroPress Go (if you use a funnel)?
Find an Aeropress parts catalog & see if they list more than 1 funnel. If only 1, then it's likely gonna fit.

Find an Aeropress parts catalog & see if they list more than 1 funnel. If only 1, then it's likely gonna fit.
I looked at the catalog and they only have one funnel and it only mentions fitting in the original AeroPress. I have sent an email to customer service to see what they say but I was wondering if anyone here had both models and could confirm it.

The AeroPress representative replied to my email and said that the funnel will fit both the original AeroPress and the AeroPress go, so you were right. I like the idea of a funnel to keep the coffee grounds from getting on the counter (especially when static keeps some coffee stuck to my grinder and I have to brush out the coffee). I would rather not add water to my beans to keep the static down.

Top Bottom