What's new

The 3 Horses from Spain - Vie-Long Beauties

I just got my Vie-Long 13061 from Juan on Monday, kissed my wife, and went right to breaking it in. The smell was potnet for a bit, but went away by the third lather. Tuesday morning I lathered with Mama Bear Czar's Choice - what a treat? I like the scratch, and loved the results. Great brushes.

Your post makes me hesitate to purchase one. How scratchy is it? I'm finding that I prefer softer tips than pure badger and am wondering if this will be the case.

Great looking brushes Mike. So would you compare these more to a badger or a boar bristle brush? Or are they in their own class. And do they require breaking in time like boar bristles? Thanks for the photos & information.

Jake,

Thanks, IMHO they soak up more water than badger but don't get floppy. The certainly are not as scritchy as I thought they would be. Compared to the 2 vintage boar brushes I just purchased (they look to be un-used) the boar is stiffer. I thinks they are in a class by themselves.

I do not find them overly scritchy at all. To me there's a difference between backbone and scritchy. The tips are soft enough but the brush is not floppy. As for the smell, again a personal thing, it's not enough for me to go through any smell eliminating procedures.

Mike

Last edited:
Your post makes me hesitate to purchase one. How scratchy is it? I'm finding that I prefer softer tips than pure badger and am wondering if this will be the case.
It is stiff, to be sure, but not overly so. The brush had backbone, but wasn't irritating in the slightest. I would put the brush softer than pure badger - definitely worth investigating. Enjoy!

I got the 13052M from Juan at Gifts and Care as part of a group buy from Bruce on shaving's Pogo forum.
It's a great little brush, beautiful handle. I find the loft soft enough for creams and soft soaps, adequate for sticks, pucks, hard soaps.
The only other horse brush I have experienced is the Turkish No.6 from best shave, which I find has much stiffer hair.
The 13052M is a nice travelling brush or a daily latherer. I like it so much, I have been thinking of getting another Vie-Long horse, but find it hard to choose, so many good looking handles to choose from... also started feeling guilty at having already 12 brushes in my den! In fact I'd like to scale down and keep one or two from boar, horse, and badger. Have not tried synthetic yet!

Top Bottom