What's new

The 3 Horses from Spain - Vie-Long Beauties

With malocchio's advice and guidance I purchased 3 beautiful Vie-Long horse hair brushes from Gifts&Care in Spain. Juan was extremely helpful in walking me through this process. I purchased a 13061 50/50 bleached hair mix, a 13071M 35/65 natural brown mix and a Professional No.2 25/75 natural brown mix. I adjusted the standard lofts down 2 -3 mm. (a free service from G&C) I've already used the Pro and 13061 brushes and they are great. The 13071M goes tomorrow.

$IMG_0121.jpg

From left to right we have the 13061, Professional No.2 and 13071M

Mike

Last edited:
Wow!! All very very nice! I was just asking a few gents about the red and white handled one myself. Are they at all scritchier because of the shorter loft you picked?

Wow!! All very very nice! I was just asking a few gents about the red and white handled one myself. Are they at all scritchier because of the shorter loft you picked?

I can't say what the normally would feel like but if I had to compare them to anything I'd say the red and white one (13061) which is a 50/50 mix of tail and mane hair is most like a 2-band badger knot from TGN set at about 50mm. I don't find any of them overly scritchy.

Mike

Nice brushes im a badger guy but picked up this butterscotch vie long natural horse and i really enjoy using it!!
proxy.php
[/IMG]

This is one hell of a line-up ! You are in for many years of great shaves with these fine horses Mike,and even with the shorter lofts ,the tips will mellow with age.Beautiful brushes from Spains finest brushmaker.

I got a Peleon for Father's Day. I was surprised at how soft the tips are. Much softer than the finest two band I have. It's interesting.

Nice brushes you got there. I have the Vie-Long Pro Barber Horse/Boar, but it's so prickly that I can't use it for anything but painting on the lather. I'm curious on your take of the Pro Barber Brown Horse. I might just pick one up, as the Horse/Boar is sitting unused the majority of the time.

How is the 13061 (scritchy/soft) and what loft did you get it in? I'm contemplating picking up a 21mm (13710) or 23mm (13723) and adjusting the lofts to ~45-47mm to use as a face latherer. I want a 50/50 blend because I prefer less scritch and more softness.

I love my Vie-Long (looks like the middle one of yours).

So the question is, is horse better than badger? (Ducks and runs)

Great looking brushes Mike. So would you compare these more to a badger or a boar bristle brush? Or are they in their own class. And do they require breaking in time like boar bristles? Thanks for the photos & information.

Nice brushes you got there. I have the Vie-Long Pro Barber Horse/Boar, but it's so prickly that I can't use it for anything but painting on the lather. I'm curious on your take of the Pro Barber Brown Horse. I might just pick one up, as the Horse/Boar is sitting unused the majority of the time.

The Pro No.2 extra is one nice brush. Although it's a 25/75 mix I did not find it to be too scritchy. The loft is 57mm but I was able to both bowl and face lather easily. I was advised by malocchio not to soak the entire brush up to the handle but to only soak about the first 2" of hair and then apply to face with little pressure.

Mike

How is the 13061 (scritchy/soft) and what loft did you get it in? I'm contemplating picking up a 21mm (13710) or 23mm (13723) and adjusting the lofts to ~45-47mm to use as a face latherer. I want a 50/50 blend because I prefer less scritch and more softness.

The 13061 is the 23mm 50/50 mix set at 53mm and is still soft enough for creams but has enough backbone for soaps. I bowl lathered and it made plenty of lather, quickly.

Mike

What's the density like on the Vie-Longs? I've wanted to order one for awhile, but am a little hesitant. Also, has anyone noticed a difference in density between the 50/50 mane/tail mixtures and the 65/35?

What's the density like on the Vie-Longs? I've wanted to order one for awhile, but am a little hesitant. Also, has anyone noticed a difference in density between the 50/50 mane/tail mixtures and the 65/35?

the knot size will make a lot more difference with these horses rather than the hair ratio...They are not "chubby" or "duke" packed,so the 23mm knots are a lot more apt to lather up anything you throw at them...you can reduce the scritch by soaking the lower 2 thirds of the knot in warm water and mar-v-cide,don't soak the handle...you will notice the softness increase right away !.!.

I just got my Vie-Long 13061 from Juan on Monday, kissed my wife, and went right to breaking it in. The smell was potnet for a bit, but went away by the third lather. Tuesday morning I lathered with Mama Bear Czar's Choice - what a treat? I like the scratch, and loved the results. Great brushes.

I just got my Vie-Long 13061 from Juan on Monday, kissed my wife, and went right to breaking it in. The smell was potnet for a bit, but went away by the third lather. Tuesday morning I lathered with Mama Bear Czar's Choice - what a treat? I like the scratch, and loved the results. Great brushes.
Lol that first use is rank!!!

Top Bottom