What's new

The 2015 Badger and Blade Awards - Mentionable Unmentionables

Just got my second pair of MeUndies last week - I'm a fan! I'll check out the SmartWool Socks now, thanks for the review!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I must that those Smartwool socks are quite the bees' knees. They do take a beating but keep on coming back, and they perform very well. The merino wool socks from REI are half the cost, but they aren't anywhere close to as durable.

I wonder if he tried the Ex Officio Give-N-Go boxers. I've been wearing them for years, and they don't wear out.

Have me-undies, they're made of nice fabric but I dont like them much. They tend to ride up my leg too frequently... I wear lululemon no-boxers and they dont ride up at all.

I wonder if he tried the Ex Officio Give-N-Go boxers. I've been wearing them for years, and they don't wear out.

I haven't tried them, but based on your mention, i'll give them a go and report back in this thread.

Have me-undies, they're made of nice fabric but I dont like them much. They tend to ride up my leg too frequently... I wear lululemon no-boxers and they dont ride up at all.

I'm really surprised the MeUndies rode up your leg. You sure you got the right size? I wear very heavy denim (18-21oz) that's reasonably tight around the leg, which is positively brutal on boxer briefs, both in terms of wear and "ride up" and the MeUndies have soldiered against both with ease.

I haven't tried them, but based on your mention, i'll give them a go and report back in this thread.

I'm really surprised the MeUndies rode up your leg. You sure you got the right size? I wear very heavy denim (18-21oz) that's reasonably tight around the leg, which is positively brutal on boxer briefs, both in terms of wear and "ride up" and the MeUndies have soldiered against both with ease.
Yes I considered that but then bought another pair a size up, same result. I have genu valgum though, which is why it happens for me. A true testament to the saying "YMMV".

Can Smartwool Socks be found at brick and mortar retailers?

They certainly can be found in shops here in the UK, although most often you see their heavy hiking socks, rather than the thinner every day ones. I used to love these socks, but have found them to be neither as durable nor comfortable in recent years, possibly as a result of a change from being made in the US to production in China. I've taken to instead buying Darn Tough socks, which are made in Vermont, I believe. These are very comfortable and have a lifetime guarantee, although I've never had occasion to invoke this.

Can Smartwool Socks be found at brick and mortar retailers?

I've bought SmartWool dress socks at Nordstrom's, and their hiking socks at REI. I *believe* I saw SmartWool brand running socks at a local sporting goods store as well (Sports Basement), so they definitely have a B&M presence.

I'll be interested in your comparison of MeUndies with Ex Officio. I've also worn Smartwool socks exclusively for years. I totally endorse Smartwool. I wear Smartwool socks every day. Did I say I endorse your endorsement of Smartwool?

Last edited:
MeUndies to me has more of a cotton like texture. Ex Officio has more of a dri fit material and thinner. I personally prefer Ex Officio as there is no issue of it becoming loose with repeated wear and better in humid weather.

ex Officios are the only synthetic undergarment I'm comfortable wearing. Haven't tried MeUndies though.

I love and wear wool, or wool/silk blend socks for everything. Been a smartwool fan for decades, from mid and heavyweight hikers to dress socks, to ankle sports socks. I have some mid weight hiking Darn Toughs that are 51% merino, 49% synthetic (and ugly too, olive green with some white and orange accent stripes at the top). They don't have enough wool for me, but a couple pair of ankle sports socks that are what I expect from a wool sock.

REI Marinos are cheaper, but less durable as mentioned. Kirkland brand (Costco) Marinos are good and may be made by smartwool I think I may have heard somewhere.

Last edited:
Top Bottom