What's new

The 20 most popular beers in the U.S. are?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Remember, the Big Mac is the most "popular" burger in the USA going by sales, but ... everyone knows that there are lots of much better burgers out there. "Consistent, bland adequacy" from chain eateries and breweries sells well.

The only beer on the list I've had in ages is PBR. It is consistently inexpensive and something I'll order when a bar has no decent cider. o I even want to know what a Lime Stra-Ber-Rita is? Is it some new Alco-pop targeted a college students? I'm guessing its only redeeming feature is a high ABV. If I want high ABV I'll just drink a Cidre Triple.

I'm surprised Sam Adams didn't break into this list. They seem to have penetration into many places where bud lite and miller lite are the only other options.
I was surprised, too. If you find yourself at a chain restaurant it's usually the only decent beer available.
RE: Sam Adams. I think the large number of beers they produce hurts them here. Boston Lager is certainly the standard, but the seasonals break up the quantity they would be able to sell over various different beers.
This makes sense.

I wonder why Sam Adams or Sierra Nevada or Newcastle Brown Ale did not get in this list? They are available nationwide.
Any of these three would be my order of choise if the bar/restaraunt doesn't have decent craft.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
You have to remember the cartridge razor is still king in the US. I equate carts with Bud Light. Most people just don't know how to enjoy a nice traditional wetshave or seek out a great tasting locally brewed beer.

Last edited:
The only beer on the list I've had in ages is PBR. It is consistently inexpensive and something I'll order when a bar has no decent cider. o I even want to know what a Lime Stra-Ber-Rita is? Is it some new Alco-pop targeted a college students? I'm guessing its only redeeming feature is a high ABV. If I want high ABV I'll just drink a Cidre Triple.

The "Rita" line is a flavored Malt beer that Budweiser (actually under the Bud-Light flag) makes. It's around 7-8% ABV so it packs a punch. They come in different flavors.

Straw-Ber-Rita
Mang-O-Rita
Raz-Ber-Rita
Lime-A-Rita
Cran-Brrr-Rita
Lemon-ADE-Rita

I'm guessing this is marketed more towards women or people who don't really like beer in general. I tasted the Straw-Ber-Rita and thought it tasted like bad Malt liquor with fake flavoring.

Last edited:
The "Rita" line is a flavored Malt beer that Budweiser (actually under the Bud-Light flag) makes. It's around 7-8% ABV so it packs a punch. They come in different flavors.

Straw-Ber-Rita
Mang-O-Rita
Raz-Ber-Rita
Lime-A-Rita
Cran-Brrr-Rita
Lemon-ADE-Rita

I'm guessing this is marketed more towards women or people who don't really like beer in general. I tasted the Straw-Ber-Rita and thought it tasted like bad Malt liquor with fake flavoring.

This is the kind of stuff all the teenage girls drank when I was growing up. Yes, I'm referring to underage drinking. I think these products, whether intentional or not, cater hugely to that sort of thing. If I went to party as a young single guy and there were lots of girls there and lots of fruity faux-beers in the cooler, I knew it was going to be a good night. I'm not saying that like I'm proud of it - it just is what it is.

Some of you guys are crazy. I wouldn't go as far as to say I would drink water before any beer on that list, that's just crazy talk, lol. I don't think Yuengling is bad. The wife likes Corona, so I will have one or two every once in while. Now that being said, I would prefer to not drink anything off that list.

Some of you guys are crazy. I wouldn't go as far as to say I would drink water before any beer on that list, that's just crazy talk, lol. I don't think Yuengling is bad. The wife likes Corona, so I will have one or two every once in while. Now that being said, I would prefer to not drink anything off that list.

They are not in my fridge because there are better options.

The beers listed, (except Yeungling) are some of the few beers distributed in every state. You'd find a much different list if you teased out the top 10 by city, county, or state. In Colorado, you can only buy beer in a liquor store, and coolers there look a lot different than they do in many other places where beer competes with bacon and butter for space in grocery stores.

The beers listed, (except Yeungling) are some of the few beers distributed in every state. You'd find a much different list if you teased out the top 10 by city, county, or state. In Colorado, you can only buy beer in a liquor store, and coolers there look a lot different than they do in many other places where beer competes with bacon and butter for space in grocery stores.

Yeah it depends where you live I guess. Fortunately here in the Chicago area are you can find some pretty good craft beer and imports at some of the local grocery stores. To get the really good, hard to find stuff I usually have to go to some of the larger liquor chains like Binny's. Like you said everyone is competing for shelf space.

Ever know an alcoholic? They drink a heck of a lot of beer. I've known a few who drink 18-24 beers a days. And they're not drinking craft beers.

I drink craft beer everyday and 24 beers lasts me about 24 days--maybe 25 days.

They are not in my fridge because there are better options.
I agree 100% that there are better options. But if someone walked up to me and said, you can have a twelve pack of one of these beers on this list or water. My choice isn't going to be water, lol.

Top Bottom