What's new

The 20 most popular beers in the U.S. are?

Interesting blurb from Thrillist.com on the most popular brews consumed in the U.S.-

No, it's not anything that was brewed with coffee beans and/or orange peels.

Despite the fact that craft beer is more popular than ever before and 1.5 new breweries open every day (fortunately, we know what all the good ones are), Big Beer still has a, well, big presence here in America. VinePair crunched the numbers, and it turns out that Bud Light is our nation's most popular beer by a pretty wide margin: ABOUT $3.6 Billion
. Their chart also takes into account the BeerAdvocate scores and ABVs of the top 20. Check it out:

$top-20-beers-america-infographic.jpg

As you can see, the list is a who's who of light beers and lagers, with a surprise showing by Bud Lite Lime Straw-Ber-Rita at the #20 spot.

Yuengling is the only privately held beer on this entire thing. There's definitely a reason it's one of our beers to drink before you die.

http://www.thrillist.com/drink/nation/most-popular-beers-in-america

http://vinepair.com/wine-blog/20-most-popular-beers-america/

Last edited:
Disappointing that the only European beer to make the list is the mediocre Heineken.

We have much better beers than that, in Europe and also in the Netherlands.

Disappointing that the only European beer to make the list is the mediocre Heineken.

You have to understand this is a list of American beer drinkers.

Most of them would not know what to do with a good European beer even if they COULD find one here.

You have to understand this is a list of American beer drinkers.

Most of them would not know what to do with a good European beer even if they COULD find one here.

I do understand that the masses will not go for the European specialty beers, but I would have expected a better lager (like Carlsberg, Warsteiner, or even Grolsch) to make the list. Heineken is pretty bland, in my personal opinion.

I do understand that the masses will not go for the European specialty beers, but I would have expected a better lager (like Carlsberg, Warsteiner, or even Grolsch) to make the list. Heineken is pretty bland, in my personal opinion.

I agree whole heartedly. It is difficult to find good beer in the US. Most is sold through super markets which "sell" shelf space to the "big guns of beer"...

If you want to find good beer you have to search for it in this country as the big boys have all of the marketing sewed up.

Yeah, this is the mass market stuff that is sold in the U.S.. Budweiser, Coors, Miller etc can be found at pretty much any Supermarket, Gas Station, Pharmacy, and Convenience Stores here in the States. The really good craft beer and imports can really only be found at liquor stores and some of the larger grocery chains (depending where you live of course). Plus throw in bars and restaurants.

Back to the list, I was surprised Miller Genuine Draft wasn't on there. MGD is the only big macro brew I still buy, followed by Old Style.

Last edited:

I went through a Heineken phase in my 20's and early 30's. Maybe it's just me, but why does it always have that skunky taste to it?

Last edited:
You also have to take into account who drinks these beers. One of my brother in laws and his best friend drink a LOT of beer. When we would go on a fishing trip they would drink a minimum of 6 beers each. My BIL is a Bud Light drinker and his friend drinks Bud. On an average day they will consume at least 12 beers each, usually more. All of their friends have the same drinking habits. The local bars show the same pattern: the drinkers who drink a lot seem to drink Bud Light, Bud, and some of the other light beers. From my observation craft beer drinkers don't drink nearly as much on a single sitting.

Well, if look at the ABV on some of these craft beers they pack a punch. About about 3 beers you have a buzz going.

Last edited by a moderator:

I went through a Heineken faze in my 20's and early 30's. Maybe it's just me, but why does it always have that skunky taste to it?

Because it's bottled in green glass, which doesn't protect against sun light.

The domestic beers used to be bottled in light resistant brown glass, and actually tasted better. Unfortunately all the major Dutch breweries nowadays are run by bean counters, so the same cheap green glass is used for both export and domestic beers.

Grolsch even changed their "beugel" to green glass (in contrast to most German breweries) ... I think it is a foolish, short term cost saving, decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
You also have to take into account who drinks these beers. One of my brother in laws and his best friend drink a LOT of beer. When we would go on a fishing trip they would drink a minimum of 6 beers each. My BIL is a Bud Light drinker and his friend drinks Bud. On an average day they will consume at least 12 beers each, usually more. All of their friends have the same drinking habits. The local bars show the same pattern: the drinkers who drink a lot seem to drink Bud Light, Bud, and some of the other light beers. From my observation craft beer drinkers don't drink nearly as much on a single sitting.

Well, if you look at the ABV on some of these craft beers they pack a punch. About 3 beers in you have a buzz going.

Last edited:

That is one beer that I just don't prefer but my friends love it.

And before any Brit gets delusions of grandeur your top 4 are only marginally better
Carling
Fosters
Stella Artois
Carlsberg

And Canadians don't get too hoity toity either....
Labatt Blue
Coors Light
Molson Canadian

Also figure that the list is based off of sales. People drinking these beers tend to sit down and drink a lot at a time. People drinking "craft" beer tend to enjoy one or 2 and be done with it.

Regardless, I was surprised at some of the beers on this list. Then again, it's not gonna change what I choose to drink.

I'm surprised Sam Adams didn't break into this list. They seem to have penetration into many places where bud lite and miller lite are the only other options.

RE: Sam Adams. I think the large number of beers they produce hurts them here. Boston Lager is certainly the standard, but the seasonals break up the quantity they would be able to sell over various different beers.

Top Bottom