What's new

Thanksgiving Meal?

I work in a grocery store. Our Canadian Thanksgiving was in October but the traditions are mostly the same as they are in the US as far as I know. Turkeys and hams are always in big demand at the time. The big ones always sell out first to the dismay of the procrastinators. The day before Thanksgiving an older gentleman approached me after perusing the bunker coolers/freezers and I figured I was going to be asked yet again why we didn't have a full selection of turkeys the day before Thanksgiving. Instead, what he asked nearly knocked me to the ground. He asked if we had any single ham slices for sale or a ham steak. I instantly took a better look at him and realized that he was probably poor and probably alone. You can't always tell of course but sometimes you can. It killed me to tell him we didn't sell any options like that for poor lonely people, only whole birds and hams for people who had families and friends. Of course I didn't word it like that but that's how it sounded to me in my head. He walked away and out of the meat department without anything. I don't know why the short interaction affected me so much but I suddenly felt so ashamed and grateful at the same time. I was reminded to be thankful for what I have and remembered that not everyone else is as lucky.

Here's to a very happy Thanksgiving to all our American cousins whether your party is big or small, I hope it's a great day!

I work in a grocery store. Our Canadian Thanksgiving was in October but the traditions are mostly the same as they are in the US as far as I know. Turkeys and hams are always in big demand at the time. The big ones always sell out first to the dismay of the procrastinators. The day before Thanksgiving an older gentleman approached me after perusing the bunker coolers/freezers and I figured I was going to be asked yet again why we didn't have a full selection of turkeys the day before Thanksgiving. Instead, what he asked nearly knocked me to the ground. He asked if we had any single ham slices for sale or a ham steak. I instantly took a better look at him and realized that he was probably poor and probably alone. You can't always tell of course but sometimes you can. It killed me to tell him we didn't sell any options like that for poor lonely people, only whole birds and hams for people who had families and friends. Of course I didn't word it like that but that's how it sounded to me in my head. He walked away and out of the meat department without anything. I don't know why the short interaction affected me so much but I suddenly felt so ashamed and grateful at the same time. I was reminded to be thankful for what I have and remembered that not everyone else is as lucky.

Here's to a very happy Thanksgiving to all our American cousins whether your party is big or small, I hope it's a great day!
Grocery retail myself, and can truly relate your encounter with that particular customer.
Hope those hams were Maple Leaf hams!

We did a large Cosco double smoked bone in ham, which I smoked a third time!

Our local butcher has awesome stuff at holidays for small families or singles. Individual packaged (or 2 per pack and cheap) fresh turkey breasts, drumsticks, etc. I wish they stocked them throughout the year as I'd love to smoke 6 or so turkey legs in July for a BBQ supper.

I'm a turkey guy but ham is easier to plan and divide and conquer, with my wife making sides and me taking care of the meat.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I think we are going to a local restaurant that you have to have reservations for.

That or venison. We have been given a LOT this year (lol, I have become quite a butcher in my learning process) and a nice doe (about 2 or 3 years old) was harvested on my back forty about a week ago and I think we still have a giant chicken or two in the freezer from our "pretending to be pioneer days." Nothing beats a 10 lb home grown free range chicken.

My wife makes a fabulous Ham in Madeira Sauce. I think it is a Julia Child recipe—I am sure my wife tweaks the recipe quite a bit (all for the better). She also makes a meat stuffing that is beyond belief. The stuffing is a meal in itself. Of course, there are the requisite salads, veggies, etc., and an apple pie (made by my daughter).

It is good to remember to be thankful for all that we have…and to share with others.

Last edited:
My whole house is vegetarian now (I was the last to turn), so the major old favorites are not on the menu (Chorizo Corn Bread Dressing, 😞). For something to carve, we are going with Brie and Basil Pesto baked in puff pastry and Camembert and Dijon mustard baked in puff pastry.

My whole house is vegetarian now (I was the last to turn), so the major old favorites are not on the menu (Chorizo Corn Bread Dressing, 😞). For something to carve, we are going with Brie and Basil Pesto baked in puff pastry and Camembert and Dijon mustard baked in puff pastry.
Sourdough Turkey anyone?

1700338528719.png

Several years before covid, with our oldest daughter and grand-daughers all living in different parts of the country, my wife stopped doing Thanksgiving meals, and we started eating at a fancy Chinese restaurant. It was different but fun. Thanks to thosewhoareoursuperiors shutting down the State for covid, it went out of business. I can't remember what we ate in 2020 & 2021. Last year we tried another restaurant and weren't impressed. This year will be at Seasons 52. We've eaten there before and liked it. I really like their salmon so I may skip their turkey menu.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I’ve got a 23lb locally raised turkey that I’ll smoke. I personally don’t really like turkey so I’ll smoke a smallish Ham for myself and whoever else wants some. I won’t eat any of the mass produced turkeys (Butterball, etc) I’ve been inside their processing plants in 2 different states on medical calls and they are absolutely filthy.

I’ve got a 23lb locally raised turkey that I’ll smoke. I personally don’t really like turkey so I’ll smoke a smallish Ham for myself and whoever else wants some. I won’t eat any of the mass produced turkeys (Butterball, etc) I’ve been inside their processing plants in 2 different states on medical calls and they are absolutely filthy.
I love spatchcocked smoked turkey/chicken.

Not so much to eat fresh off the smoker (which is good) but more for the smoked meat used for sandwiches, fried rice, pot pies etc.

Top Bottom