What's new

TGN 30mm Silvertip - Shedding Problem!

Ok, so I have several TGN knots:

20mm Silvertip
20mm Two-Band Finest
24mm Super
26mm Finest F2

In addition to the knots above, I also have two 30mm Silvertips - and they both shed like crazy! I initially bought a 30mm silvertip and mounted it in a Whipped Dog handle a few months ago (when Larry was out of stock on silvertip knots). Over the following month and a half, this knot started shedding - at first 2-3 hairs a shave, then eventually it started shedding so bad that I had to throw a puck of Stirling away because of the crazy amount of hair coming out. So, like the good vendor that TGN is, they sent me a new 30mm silvertip knot for only the cost of shipping. I decided to get a new WD handle to go with the new knot, and have the loft set a little higher. Well, I received the knot and handle maybe two weeks ago, promptly set the knot with the TGN two-part epoxy, and let it cure for 48 hours before shampooing. This new knot sheds ten times worse than the old one did (see pics below)! I mean handfuls of hair coming out, and another puck of Stirling had to be trashed. So my question is - has anyone else had this problem? All of the other TGN knots I have perform perfectly with no shedding issues, and I've done nothing different to these 30mm silvertips. I'm starting to get pretty discouraged with the 30mm silvertip, and I guess maybe I should switch to a different grade...

This is just what I shook out without touching the knot-
$TGN 30mm_1.jpg

This is from lightly rubbing the brush on my palm and shaking out-
$TGN 30mm_2.jpg

I have a 28mm Silvertip from TGN that loses around 5-6 hairs each shave, though I haven't seen one that is that bad before.

Your knots sure appear to be from a bad batch.

I've used at least a dozen TGN of various style and NEVER had an issue. Tony is a first rate vendor. I suggest you continue to give him opportunity tom ake things right.

Your knots sure appear to be from a bad batch.

I've used at least a dozen TGN of various style and NEVER had an issue. Tony is a first rate vendor. I suggest you continue to give him opportunity tom ake things right.

Yeah these 30mm silvertips are the only ones I've had any issue with. All the other TGN knots I have are great, which is why I continue to buy from TGN.

TGN is not good in my opinion. Had two and they both shedded like the Harry Dickens. I will never own another TGN silvertip knot.

Kirk

I can second that for TGN shedding. I got a custom made with a tgn knot. Needless to say, I chucked the knot after it shed 50 hairs in one face lather.

TGN needs to address their shedding issues. I will never buy one again.

I've own(ed) 4 finest and one super finest knot from TGN, the only time one lost any hair is when it was attacked by a Terrier and it only lost 10 hairs total from it.

My TGN pure looses no hair, my Silvertip Grade A looses an acceptable amount at ~2 per shave and is broken in. My HMW is still in the break in period and looses 2 per shave (I think it will subside) and I had a Super Badger that lost 7-12 hairs per shave after the break in that Tony exchanged with no hassle (paid difference for the HMW instead).

Well its been about 24 hours since I contacted TGN and no reply yet. I'll give them credit for promptly replacing the first one, however the replacement they sent is the worst knot I've ever had! I really hope they fix this.

I don't feel so bad now. I have 2 TGN and the newer one was fine for about 2-3 weeks with only a few bristles falling out. Then all of a sudden, (this week) I've been loosing about 10-15 bristles per use.

This can happen with any vendor. I purchased a Rooney Heritage brush and it shed like crazy..anywhere from 5-25 every shave. I got a refund then bought the same model from a different vendor, same result. Now I have to figure out whether to give it one last try or give up on this model. Hope it works out for you.

The only knot that I have had shedding issues with is a TGN 24mm Finest.

It lost one or two hairs with each use, from day one. After six months, it was loosing ten or twelve each use.

The problem did not get any worse, and three years down the line, It is still in use, but sheds a few hairs each shave.

I'll live with until it gets too bad, then re-knot.

Steve.

Top Bottom