What's new

Texas Red Chili Recipe

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
First and foremost this is not a place to post Wolf brand chili. I want to see some homemade chili with pictures. If you wanna put it on some chips or corn chips or whatever fine. Just keep that canned stuff out of my thread….lol.
Dang, knew I should have taken pictures. :) Hope to make some red soon (and maybe some chowder).

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
You just have no appreciation of Texas history. :biggrin1:

I will be entering my chili this weekend at the neighborhood association chili cook off. I think I will go with my Terlingua recipe instead of the true Texas red. Sometimes folks can’t or don’t appreciate the Texas red in its purest form. So I will do a series of dumps. Now I gotta go dig out my lucky BBQ chair.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Dang, knew I should have taken pictures. :) Hope to make some red soon (and maybe some chowder).
I’m glad you brought up the subject of chowder. I just got home from Maine. I took a short vacation there and the chowder was wonderful. It was 98 in Texas and 68 in Portland Maine. Believe it or not I have my grocery list loaded with all the ingredients for a clam chowder. I will be in the grocery store on Friday morning around 6 o’clock in the morning to purchase everything. I’ll post a picture. Maybe I will start a thread or jump in on an older thread.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Has anyone been to Czhilispiel? Thanks to another Mess Hall thread, I started looking at Czech stuff in Texas (largest Czech population of any state), and stumbled onto this. Been around 50 years.

Note: Czhili is a play on the words Czech and chili.
I believe there is a Czech community in South Texas.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I will be entering my chili this weekend at the neighborhood association chili cook off. I think I will go with my Terlingua recipe instead of the true Texas red. Sometimes folks can’t or don’t appreciate the Texas red in its purest form. So I will do a series of dumps. Now I gotta go dig out my lucky BBQ chair.

So...you're gonna use hamburger meat instead of stew meat, huh?

That might give you a series of dumps.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Has anyone been to Czhilispiel? Thanks to another Mess Hall thread, I started looking at Czech stuff in Texas (largest Czech population of any state), and stumbled onto this. Been around 50 years.

Note: Czhili is a play on the words Czech and chili.
Yep. Many times. I have a lot of kin around that area. It's worth the ride. Lots of good food there.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Martha Stewart (!) shared her recipe online today, and it has some unsweetened cocoa in it. I'll give it a try. I have never had a bad recipe from her.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I'm about to try Curry for the first time in my life, my lovely bride made it. I guess this is as good a place as any to post this...

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Martha Stewart (!) shared her recipe online today, and it has some unsweetened cocoa in it. I'll give it a try. I have never had a bad recipe from her.

I was in Ohio a couple weeks ago and ate in a Skyline chili restaurant ... the chili's interesting. Alleged to have cocoa, cinnamon and other odd things in it.

I had it "three way" over spaghetti (!) and with a ton of shredded cheese. No beans of course, though I think that was an added option. Glad I tried it.

AA

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I was in Ohio a couple weeks ago and ate in a Skyline chili restaurant ... the chili's interesting. Alleged to have cocoa, cinnamon and other odd things in it.

I had it "three way" over spaghetti (!) and with a ton of shredded cheese. No beans of course, though I think that was an added option. Glad I tried it.

AA
Their chili is a fine dish even with beans, but it bears about a little resemblance to Texas chili as whole hog barbecue does to Texas brisket.

Top Bottom