What's new

Texas Red Chili Recipe

Guess it is my lucky day that you are no longer the steward! Wasn't planning on making it today but found flank on sale for a good price and it is that time of year!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Guess it is my lucky day that you are no longer the steward! Wasn't planning on making it today but found flank on sale for a good price and it is that time of year!

Thanks for posting there Dave. To bad you couldn't wait till the weekend and join the Mess Hall cookout...the theme is chili. Yep, it's on the sticky above.

Thanks for posting there Dave. To bad you couldn't wait till the weekend and join the Mess Hall cookout...the theme is chili. Yep, it's on the sticky above.

Texas Chef Tim Love going to start offering Texas Red at the Legendary White Elephant in the Fort Worth Stockyards soon. Per the Star Telegram.

I'm definitely going to make some of this. Sounds and looks delicious!

I thought I would post a chili recipe that is totally different than what you probably make and eat now. It has no tomatoes or beans in the sauce. Its a very traditional old way of making chili. The finished product has a very bold beef and pepper flavor. Not for the timid. It's not a hot recipe but a little spicy, so feel free to add some jalapeno or habanero pepper's while cooking. Here's my rendition:

Texas Red Chili

Serves about 4
Ingredients:
2 to 3 ounces, whole chili’s-guajilla, pasilla or ancho. About 8-12 chilies total. I prefer the guajilla and ancho peppers.
2 pounds(after being trimmed) of Beef Chuck or Tri-Tip cut into ¾ inch pieces. Other cuts of beef are welcomed.
1-1/2 tablespoon of cumin
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1-1/2 white onion chopped very fine. Food processor works well to get the onion extremely fine
6 finely diced large cloves of garlic(put this in the processor with the onions)
1 can of low-sodium beef broth
1/2 can of low-sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon of packed brown sugar (optional)
2 tablespoons of Masa Harina(fine corn flour used for thickening)
1-1/2 tablespoons of white distilled vinegar
Pinch of Mexican Oregano
Salt and Pepper to taste
Prep:
1. Place the chilies in a hot skillet and toast both sides over low heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Don’t let them burn or they’ll turn the chili very bitter. Place in a bowl of very hot water until soft. Approx. 45 minutes. Use a small plate to help keep the chilies submerged. Save the pepper water for later.
2. Drain the chilies. Remove stem, cut open chili's and rinse seeds off being careful not to wash away the flesh. Place chilies into blender or food processor with cumin, pinch Mexican oregano, pinch of pepper and salt, ¼ cup of pepper water. Blend until it is completely smooth like ketchup. The paste/sauce should look like brilliant red. Set aside.
3. Heat enamel coated Dutch oven on medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil until it starts to shimmer. Add beef, don’t crowd, move or stir around. This process takes 3 or 4 batches. Add vegetable oil between batches. Brown on all sides and remove to separate bowl.
4. Dice beef pieces into very small ¼” sizes.
5. Add the diced onions and garlic to the same pot where you browned the beef. Cook for about 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Scrape all brown(fond) off the bottom of pot as onion cooks. The fond has a lot of flavor. Add the stock and the pepper paste. Whisk in the Masa Harina slowly to avoid lumps. Add beef. Bring to a boil then cut heat back to very low heat where only a few bubbles breaking the surface. Water or chicken stock maybe added if it becomes too thick. Cook low and slow for about 2 hours. Stir often to make sure it is not burning on the bottom.
6. After about 2 hours test the chili for meat tenderness. When ready, stir in the brown sugar and vinegar and salt & pepper to taste. Gently simmer for another 10 minutes. Turn off heat and let stand stand for about 30 minutes to allow beef to absorb sauce.
7. Serve with lime wedges.

Chili's being reconstituted
View attachment 530653

Browned and minced beef
View attachment 530654

Masa
View attachment 530656

All in the pot...nope I removed some for eating.
View attachment 530657

Just put it in the bowl already...I'm hungry. Where's the spoon? Amateur....
View attachment 530658

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I'm definitely going to make some of this. Sounds and looks delicious!

Alright! The brown sugar, masa and vinegar are optional. I like to add a splash of the vinegar right before I serve. It brightens it up brings the flavors out more.

Top Bottom