What's new

Texas Red Chili Recipe

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I used a pretty generous portion of mole' in this batch, ~2 tablespoons. When I sample tasted some of the mole' I could distinctly taste a strong peppermint candy note. I really love this stuff and get it freshly made from a local store.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Whoa Nellie, Dennis you hit a home run. The color on the sauce is perfect. I think I'm getting a little misty eyed. Thanks for giving it a try. You honor me.

Thanks. My biggest regret was adding beans at my wife's request. Next time I will use more meat and no beans.

I used about 1/4 of a very large bag of guajillas. I snipped the stems off with a shears and slit them lengthwise to remove the seeds. Then toasted them on a dry griddle, soaked them and pureed them in my wife's Blendtec. I had over 20 ounces of very smooth and rich chili paste. The color was a very rich red.

I'm also very impressed with the meat that I am getting from my local carniceria.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
That rich red color is a freak of nature and must be good for something like....well, chili. I thought I saw a bean or two in there. The wives can be tricky and we have to watch out for them come man food time. Arg, arg, arg!!!

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Thanks. My biggest regret was adding beans at my wife's request. Next time I will use more meat and no beans.

I used about 1/4 of a very large bag of guajillas. I snipped the stems off with a shears and slit them lengthwise to remove the seeds. Then toasted them on a dry griddle, soaked them and pureed them in my wife's Blendtec. I had over 20 ounces of very smooth and rich chili paste. The color was a very rich red.

I'm also very impressed with the meat that I am getting from my local carniceria.

I do something similar, but I don't soak them. I just throw them in my Vitamix blender along with the toasted cumin seeds and oregano and pulverize them. Then I throw in the garlic, and fresh seeded pepper and blend some more... then the onion. Then I add enough of the broth to get it to pouring consistency.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
That rich red color is a freak of nature and must be good for something like....well, chili. I thought I saw a bean or two in there. The wives can be tricky and we have to watch out for them come man food time. Arg, arg, arg!!!
If you can't stand the heat stay away from my Chili !!! :a11:...................please

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I do something similar, but I don't soak them. I just throw them in my Vitamix blender along with the toasted cumin seeds and oregano and pulverize them. Then I throw in the garlic, and fresh seeded pepper and blend some more... then the onion. Then I add enough of the broth to get it to pouring consistency.

Ah, so no rehydration of the chili pods?

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Ah, so no rehydration of the chili pods?

Nope. I basically turn it into a much fresher version of the chili powder and cumin you buy in the store. After I pour it out of the blender, I add some more of the beef stock to the blender and whirl it around to to help get the last of the chili goodness out of it. The chilies get rehydrated in the hours of simmering in the pot. That way there is no straining and no loss of that beautiful red chili color. :001_smile

I picked up a bag of Guajillos and a bag of Pasillas today and I'm planning on making some red for the Super Bowl. I'm aiming for just a bit of heat (my mom has a sensitive stomach with the medications she is on). So am I looking at 1 Habanero or a couple Serranos? I'm open to suggestions. Thanks!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I picked up a bag of Guajillos and a bag of Pasillas today and I'm planning on making some red for the Super Bowl. I'm aiming for just a bit of heat (my mom has a sensitive stomach with the medications she is on). So am I looking at 1 Habanero or a couple Serranos? I'm open to suggestions. Thanks!

Leave them out and let everyone add heat as they see fit. Or, just put 1 Serrano in for the added flavor but very little heat.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Aaron, does the cook-off have anything posted on the web? That looks like a great chili recipe. It seems kinda odd that they would let someone prepare the chili off-site and bring it in, but I've seen that allowed some places. And as you said, it's a BBQ cook-off.

Good idea about getting things prepped and doing the cooking there...the spectators watching the cook going on is half the show. That, and tasting the results. :thumbup1:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
As Aaron said leave the extra chili out and use a hot sauce to add heat.
Two pot Chili is another option. Make the base recipe then divide into two pots for two different heat levels.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Well, here is the last bowl of Red that I have in the house.

$IMG_0606.jpg

But, I have a huge problem. It seems I don't know which hot sauce to put on the last bowl. Can ya'll help a feller out?

$IMG_0605.jpg

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Oh it arrived. Enjoy
If you want some real heat Dragons Fury is a good choice. Don't fear the reaper. A little is all that is needed.
Or a dash of Deadly will kick it up.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Oh it arrived. Enjoy
If you want some real heat Dragons Fury is a good choice. Don't fear the reaper. A little is all that is needed.
Or a dash of Deadly will kick it up.

Chris,

You are a sneaky little....

When the box arrived I thought it was the DVR I had ordered. Even when I read the side of the box "New Zealand Post" I was still in the dark. Then it dawned on me you sent me something, but what?:blink: I really appreciate you thinking of me and my up and coming birthday(I'm turning 25):lol::hand:. I am now officially retired from making anymore hot sauce. By the time I finish all of those bottles I'll be talkin Kiwi with a Texan accent.:laugh:

Thanks my friend, cheers to you.

Aaron

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I thought you were turning 21. Yeah the box should have been a give away. Good to see it all made it there with nothing breaking.
Don't stop making your hot sauce, that would be just wrong, just use more product.

Leave them out and let everyone add heat as they see fit. Or, just put 1 Serrano in for the added flavor but very little heat.

As Aaron said leave the extra chili out and use a hot sauce to add heat.
Two pot Chili is another option. Make the base recipe then divide into two pots for two different heat levels.

Thanks Aaron and Chris. She can tolerate a little heat. I may do one Serrano and then use a little hot sauce to add a little heat if I need to.

Now I have to mosey on over to the hot sauce thread to see which one I will make. It's going to be a busy Friday & Saturday!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Thanks Aaron and Chris. She can tolerate a little heat. I may do one Serrano and then use a little hot sauce to add a little heat if I need to.

Now I have to mosey on over to the hot sauce thread to see which one I will make. It's going to be a busy Friday & Saturday!

So, you are going to make a hot sauce too? You're on a roll. :thumbup:

Top Bottom