What's new

Texas Red Chili Recipe

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
oops- I missed that. So, will you cook it up a few days ahead of time to let the flavors meld? I may enter our company competition next year, when it rolls around.

Good question. The competition is really about BBQ Brisket, so all the IBCA rules apply. But chili is not, so, my brother said get all your stuff ready then cook it at the competition. Or, cook it before hand. I kinda want something to do that looks constructive while he's cooking the brisket.:blink:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Good question. The competition is really about BBQ Brisket, so all the IBCA rules apply. But chili is not, so, my brother said get all your stuff ready then cook it at the competition. Or, cook it before hand. I kinda want something to do that looks constructive while he's cooking the brisket.:blink:

Hand out beer- no one questions what the guy that is handing out beer is doing.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I would make the paste, cook and dice the meat and cook the rest there.
Start cooking it as soon as you can so the flavours have time to come together.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I would make the paste, cook and dice the meat and cook the rest there.
Start cooking it as soon as you can so the flavours have time to come together.

Exactamundo...That's the plan. Plus have my onions, garlic and other spices measured and ready to just throw in.

I just read this entire thread and am seriously considering making this for a Super Bowl party. Because nothing says Super Bowl Sunday like chili, cornbread and beer. I will have to add some chipotle's as the host is originally from India and loves all things spicy (I like some heat, too). Hopefully this originally-from-New Hampshire boy can finally make a real chili!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Stephen, that's good news. Make it the day before. Also, make sure you strain the chili sauce with a metal strainer and clean off the goody that is still stuck on the bottom of the strainer. Add the salt at the end and only enough brown sugar to get just a kiss of sweet. A squeeze of lime when served should not be left out.

Pictures of Super Bowl chili are mandatory.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I just read this entire thread and am seriously considering making this for a Super Bowl party. Because nothing says Super Bowl Sunday like chili, cornbread and beer. I will have to add some chipotle's as the host is originally from India and loves all things spicy (I like some heat, too). Hopefully this originally-from-New Hampshire boy can finally make a real chili!
Do it, you won't regret it. Maybe consider habanero instead of chipotle for some extra kick.
Stephen, that's good news. Make it the day before. Also, make sure you strain the chili sauce with a metal strainer and clean off the goody that is still stuck on the bottom of the strainer. Add the salt at the end and only enough brown sugar to get just a kiss of sweet. A squeeze of lime when served should not be left out.

Yes indeed.

Am I making it the day before to let the flavors meld?

Do it, you won't regret it. Maybe consider habanero instead of chipotle for some extra kick.

Ooh, habanero - hadn't thought of that. Decisions, decisions...

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Am I making it the day before to let the flavors meld?

Ooh, habanero - hadn't thought of that. Decisions, decisions...

Yes- chili is always better a day or two later so the flavors meld. As to the chipotle/habanero argument- you said they are Indian (known for their spicy food) who likes it hot- IMO, Chipotle just won't be enough (heck, I could brush my teeth with chipotle). With habs you will know it is there.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Changes or additions from the original post for the chili cook-off

Test mode #1

Texas Red Chili
Ingredients:

2 to 3 ounces, whole chili’s-guajilla, pasilla About 8-10 chilies total.
2 pounds(after being trimmed) of Beef Chuck, Flank steak or skirt steak cut into ¾ inch pieces
1-1/2 tablespoon of cumin-toasted seeds and ground up
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1-1/2 finely chopped sweet onion. Food processor works well to get the onion extremely fine
6 finely diced large cloves of garlic(put this in the processor with the onions)
1 can of low-sodium beef broth
1/2 can of low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 tablespoon of packed brown sugar
1 tablespoons of white distilled vinegar
Big Pinch of Mexican Oregano
1/2 tsp of smoked paprika
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 diced habanero's
4 slices of smoked finely diced bacon
Salt and Pepper to taste

OK, I completed my test for some of the change-ups above. Two things I noticed right away. The bacon made it too salty and a little too smoky(at least for me). It just blocked or screwed with the taste of the chili's. I will cut the number of bacon slices in half for the next round. Also, the ground sirloin made the chili texture too much like today's chili. I used no cayenne. The two habanero with a serrano were perfect for heat. I added a small amount of thyme and dried basal. Saw that in a chili cook-off recipe so I had to give it a try. I liked it, and it was subtle. I will also go back to adding an ancho pepper or two along with the guajillo peppers. The chili flavor was lacking something. Can't wait to try this recipe with the skirt or flank steak. I also saw some small briskets at the market yesterday. They were perfect in size and trimmed of almost all fat. Maybe brisket is the way to go, because it is the main theme of the cook-off.

Re-hydrating Peppers. Cooking the habanero and serrano. Added a few bay leafs.
$IMG_0598.jpg

Straining Pepper Sauce. What's left after scraping with spoon. It just needs to be done.
$IMG_0600.jpg

Pepper Sauce in with the meat
$IMG_0602.jpg

Bubbling. The dark lumps are prunes. They add a different kind of sweet and a sheen to the sauce.
$IMG_0603.jpg

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
The amount of Chili left in the sieve looks a lot. Did you blend it less?

I wasn't finished with straining it. I took the picture about 3/4 of the way through. When I'm finished it looks like a dried paste left in the colander. I could have blended it a little longer. I use my mini food processor. It seems to work well for the job.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Wish I would have taken a picture of the chili paste in the Blendtec. Absolutely wonderful and no straining necessary.
$chili1-26-15.jpg
$chilibowl1-26-15.jpg

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Ok, after a day of flavor melding the saltiness subsided somewhat and the wife said it wasn't too salty for her. It was hardy with more beef flavors up front versus the chili sauce. She said it was more spicy than the first version, so I think I got that part right.

In my mind I have the recipe for test number two coming up in a few weeks. A combo of pepper types and skirt or brisket beef. Now I'm leaning toward brisket.

Top Bottom