What's new

Testing Scheermonnik soaps

Scheermonnik Smoor - first encounter

I'm not going to repeat how much I like the lather. And for my learning curve on bowl lathering, there's my diary ( diary )
Let's have a look at the smell.
A complex sandalwood smell. Not the one dimentional Proraso red. But rather the complexity of TOBS sandalwood. Don't get me wrong: it's totally different from TOBS, less soapy, sweeter. But as complex. Still giving a clear sandalwood core. And yes, the sweetness has got some vanilla in it.
It might replace my TOBS once I empty that tub.

Scheermonnik Berk - first encounter

'Sandalwood, cedar, forest, birch and earth' it says on the website. What I got? The smell of a vibrant green wet forest. Sun after the rain. Leaftrees only, no pines. Combined with artisanal gardening. Sitting on your knees and grabbing in the soil with both hands. A very different and surprising smell. Very relaxing too.

Scheermonnik Delfts Wit - second encounter

I will now use each sample for 4 days in a row. At least, that's the plan. Maybe I'll use more days but definitely not less. So I can get used to a scent. Or maybe get bored with it.

It felt good to re-discover Delfts Wit. Indeed a strong aroma. Warm and sweet. Again it reminded me of some pipe-tobaco from long time ago. Nice start for an autumn walk - day. Could even see myself using this for an evening shave. Which I never do.

Rinsing my face with warm water after shaving, I smelled something wellknown. Just can't put my finger on it. Some bodysoap. But was it nivea, sandalwood, patchouli or still something different? I might keep a few bodysoaps in the vicinity tomorrow to find out.

Scheermonnik Delfts Wit - second encounter

I'm still in doubt about the scent. It's very present while shaving, yet feels like a warm welcome. But after shaving, the aroma still lingers for a few hours (only for myself to notice I guess). And when I just noticed it again, I thought I'd never buy the AS that goes with it (which doesn't exist yet, but if it did). So, exactly how happy am I with this scent then?

Scheermonnik Delfts Wit - second encounter 3

I noticed yesterday that I couldn't help going to the bathroom and sniffing my bowl that has some whiff of Delfts Wit left. Now that's a good sign. I remember having a similar relationship with the Wilkinson Sword puck. Which I finally came to like a lot. Could never become my 'desert island and you can only take one soap' soap. But I do like it in my soap rotation. Maybe that'll be the case for Delfts Wit too.

Scheermonnik Delfts Wit - second encounter 4

Last shave with Delfts Wit before turning to the next sample. I've used it for 5 shaves now and I guess I'll be happy to return to this in my regular rotation but I won't be buying a full tub once this sample is finished.

Delftse Donderslag - second encounter 1

A very different product to scrape out some soap. Feels like (and also looks like) there are kind of lumpy things going on. I have the impression I'll need more product to get the same amount of lather.
Coming back to the smell: previously I noticed lavender and vanilla. Now it's the other way around: vanilla and lavender. And warmth and sweetness. I'm more impressed by the complexity of Delfts Wit for now. Let's see what the next days bring.

Delftse Donderslag - second encounter 2

Scraped off more soap than yesterday (and more than with Delfts Wit). So now I had enough lather. Strangely enough, the brush kind of soaked up all the lather and became huge. Worked just fine.
The aroma is not (yet) growing on me. It's ok as long as I shower afterwards so I don't smell it all day. But that's just not good enough with so many soaps to choose from.
And I'm fully aware it's personal. It doesn't smell bad at all. It's just not an aroma that appeals to me. I guess.

1778 Beau Brummel - Second encounter

So I've been using 1778 for 3 consecutive days now. To begin with, the soap seems to be a lot harder than the Delftse Donderslag. It really requires some power to scrape out some soap. And it takes less soap to create lather for 2-3 passes.
I remembered the smell being subtle. Today I noticed just how subtle: while shaving, I could smell the soap bar that I had selected for the shower (shower after shaving, so this soapbar was totally dry) and not the lather sitting under my nose!

1778 Beau Brummel - Second encounter 4

Last day of 1778 for now. I left the soap in the cupboard until needing it so I could focus on the odor. Yes the tea and some honey and coconut. But there's also something that makes me crave for marzipan!

Conclusion for now: I'll be happy to return to 1778 in a few weeks time. But I'm not convinced I'll ever buy a full tub.

I have some fresh minis and some older large ones and the scent changes in time not in a bad way, but in my 1778 cocos is more clearly there in the old one as in the new one. Strength wise the new smoor and berk are of a lesser strength as the older delfts wit, donderslag, 1778 and souk.
Hmmm and when I finish my captains choice 45th parallel early next week I should switch to the souk sample as a hommage to Sinterklaas.
Could ask the hitchhiker’s if they have a sample speculaas, pepernoot or taaitaai (though the later have a marriage proposal in them historically)

Attachments

• 66ACF9D6-387F-4248-855D-A77DCA1AF16A.jpeg
    66ACF9D6-387F-4248-855D-A77DCA1AF16A.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
Scheermonnik Soek - second encounter 1

I recall Soek to be too much of a pepernoten smell for me. Coming back to it, sure the pepernoten and gingerbread were there. But also a sweeter background of Bastogne cookies. This is so Sinterklaas and Christmas. I think I'll keep it for those days and weeks of the year. The cheesy days of wearing socks with season-related prints on them.

Scheermonnik Soek - second encounter 1

I recall Soek to be too much of a pepernoten smell for me. Coming back to it, sure the pepernoten and gingerbread were there. But also a sweeter background of Bastogne cookies. This is so Sinterklaas and Christmas. I think I'll keep it for those days and weeks of the year. The cheesy days of wearing socks with season-related prints on them.
ADD some marzipan smelling soap, those hard candy sweets and yes it comes close. I like paa holiday specials also…. With a bonus those cubes are so strong you do not need an air freshener on that floor. Going to use those with scheermonniks unscented in Dec

Scheermonnik Soek - second encounter 2

I can't just leave my process. So I did use Soek a second time at this second encounter. Same experience. So I will now really leave what's left for Sinterklaas and the Christmas season.

Scheermonnik Soek - second encounter 2

I can't just leave my process. So I did use Soek a second time at this second encounter. Same experience. So I will now really leave what's left for Sinterklaas and the Christmas season.
The strange thing if I smell my soul I also get a Whif of chocolates which is of course also Sinterklaas

Attachments

• 7F2348AD-15FB-4D01-ADAA-6900A8DD4561.jpeg
    7F2348AD-15FB-4D01-ADAA-6900A8DD4561.jpeg
    226 KB · Views: 2
Scheermonnik Smoor - second encounter 1

At the first encounter, I noted: "a complex sandalwood smell. Not the one dimentional Proraso red. But rather the complexity of TOBS sandalwood. Don't get me wrong: it's totally different from TOBS, less soapy, sweeter. But as complex. Still giving a clear sandalwood core. And yes, the sweetness has got some vanilla in it.
It might replace my TOBS once I empty that tub."

Well, coming back to this soap for a second encounter, I experience more of the warmth, sweetness and vanilla than of the sandalwood. Which disappointed me slightly. Even to the point where I checked if I actually picked the right tub. Once I was shaving, I did like the perfume though. So let's see what happens in the days to come.

Scheermonnik Smoor - second encounter 2

Same story today. The perfume smelled more like 'Scheermonnik' to me than like sandalwood. Even so, it would be one of my more preferred Scheermonnik varieties.

Hmmm so now you are smoorverliefd (deeply in love) with smoor keep up the good work.
Happy with souk this morning and that great post shave of scheermonnik even without balm etc is also there. And yes I know I will smell the soap for at least the morning.

Still hope they can once make a aftershave or balm to match the soaps for

Last edited:
Top Bottom