What's new

Testing Scheermonnik soaps

Yesterday, I received the Scheermonnik sample pack with 6 cute small metal tubs of 15g of shaving soap each.

Scheermonnik.jpg

I decided to give all 6 for one shave and then give the 6 Scheermonnik soaps each 4 consecutive shaves.
However cute the small tubs are, they're hard to load from directly.

20211103_124928.jpg

Delfts Wit - first encounter

Today, I used the Delfts Wit. It was hard to load from such a small tub, so I shaved with too little soap. But the lather I had did perform very well. The smell is very present and stays for a few hours (I didn't use any AS just to check the longevity of the smell). It's a very warm and sweet smell, reminding me of some pipe tobaco I used many years ago, vanilla and dried fruits. I did like it but couldn't help wondering if I would still like it after a few days in a row.
We'll find out in a week :)

Delftse Donderslag - first encounter

Loading is still a hasle, but at least I loaded enough for a very decent lather. (Yes I know, I should scoop out some soap and bowllather. But I never used a bowl before so I prefer sticking to a lathering technique I know for now, limiting the number of variables changing).
The smell: lavender and vanilla is what I notice. Plus warmth and sweetness. Even more than with Delfts Wit. Too much for me. But maybe it'll grow on me when using it a few days in a row.

Yesterday, I received the Scheermonnik sample pack with 6 cute small metal tubs of 15g of shaving soap each.

View attachment 1357484

I decided to give all 6 for one shave and then give the 6 Scheermonnik soaps each 4 consecutive shaves.
However cute the small tubs are, they're hard to load from directly.

View attachment 1357486

Delfts Wit - first encounter

Today, I used the Delfts Wit. It was hard to load from such a small tub, so I shaved with too little soap. But the lather I had did perform very well. The smell is very present and stays for a few hours (I didn't use any AS just to check the longevity of the smell). It's a very warm and sweet smell, reminding me of some pipe tobaco I used many years ago, vanilla and dried fruits. I did like it but couldn't help wondering if I would still like it after a few days in a row.
We'll find out in a week :)
Happy you are enjoying some Dutch treats original 4 made by Ron Valeri
Best is to load and build in a bowl
Or simply take a sliver out and put it in the lather bowl.
This morning was Delftse donderslag it is the season for it.

Attachments

• D2226F93-4625-42B7-8A32-CE373DE3E8F4.jpeg
    D2226F93-4625-42B7-8A32-CE373DE3E8F4.jpeg
    68.1 KB · Views: 3
We don't hear a lot about this soap, good to get some info on it.

You can take a dollop of soap and put it in your palm, then load the brush with that and proceed to face lather. A bit messy, but it works.
Yesterday I mashed a fair amount of donderslag in my loading bowl and I use that to load a brush for either face or bowl lather.
Bear in mind that scheermonnik is frugal Dutch so that tin could last close to two weeks…. Lol otoh never tried that with a hungry badger…

By the way no fan of the latest scents compared to the old ones they are not strong enough for my 👃

Dutch must be an interesting language.

Turns out donderslag means "thunderclap". Here I was thinking it might be referring to an angry woman with somewhat loose morals.

Loosely translated donderslag refers to the blow to your nose the soap delivered
And nope delfts wit is not referring to white powder either…. But to the lesser known Delft white porcelain.

Oh and Delft is a city where Ron Valeri had his soap developed in his zeepziederij

And de grote kerk of Delft is on the tin

Attachments

• DCDB44E1-8757-4646-B003-4FC20B97DB94.jpeg
    DCDB44E1-8757-4646-B003-4FC20B97DB94.jpeg
    136.5 KB · Views: 3
Did you notice they are vegan

Still lather and shave superb and a great post shave

Using it as a preshave is more than ok Ron advised that to me once.

And as you see two bowl method works tooooo

Attachments

• AEF26197-F67F-40D2-9314-E5A8890FD108.jpeg
    AEF26197-F67F-40D2-9314-E5A8890FD108.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 18

Turns out donderslag means "thunderclap". Here I was thinking it might be referring to an angry woman with somewhat loose morals.
Could also be someone really loving his or hears chili beans…. That smells less divine though ;-)

Being from Flanders, I speak Flemish which relates to Dutch more or less like American English to Decent English (sorry :wink2:). So I hadn't even considered translating.

1778 Beau Brummel - First encounter

First time I bowllathered. Got a learningcurve in front of me there, but at least I got a very decent amount of high quality lather. The smell? Honey & and black tea it says on the website (and a lot more). That's a nice description. Plus some coconut (thanks Ivo4u2). And it's very modest. Wash your face (or take a shower) after shaving and it's gone. Which isn't necesarily a bad thing. Very nice and civilised smell that doesn't really seem to fit these cold and rainy days for me.

Scheermonnik Soek - first encounter

I was able to scrape some flakes of the soap and paste them to the bottom of my cup: perfect bowl lathering!
The smell: rather present, not too much. Smells a lot like 'pepernoten', a Dutch treat connected with Santa (the 5th of december one, not the coca-cola one). Hard to translate, google suggest 'gingerbread'. But it smells more of cloves and cinnamon than of ginger.
To much of a pepernoot-smell for me. Though finishing off with bay rum seems to work pretty well. (And I'm not a huge fan of bay rum).
Anyway, the smell in in line with the description on the website. But it's got little to do with the smell I associate with a soek.

Top Bottom