What's new

Ten best bourbons: Top bottles of the all-American whiskey

I agree with you on the Blanton's. Being from KY I have tried many bourbons, but never one from New York! I guess there is a first time for everything.

I was pleasantly surprised by the Hudson 4 grain, that's for sure. Even though I'm from Virginia I tend to favor the Kentucky distilleries. Gotta save a soft spot for Bowman's of course, but hey, if it is good, I don't complain about the county that it came from.

The BALCONES TRUE BLUE looks interesting...Just what I needed , yet another list of top brands to buy from...
looked interesting to me too, bought and tried, first few pours were good, but instead of growing on me, I grew to find the remainder of the bottle difficult to swallow...could never get my taste around it..just my humble opinion...

I just tried Woodford reserve. I'm a Bourbon and Kentucky whiskey virgin, so don't be too hard on me yet. I have a bottle of Makers Mark that I know I won't touch again, just can't stand the initial assault on my palette. The Woodford, I have to force myself NOT to touch, yum!
I haven't seen any of the bottles on that list where I live (Saskatchewan, Canada)...

I really like the Weller Antique - great bang for the buck.

The Four Roses Single Barrel is also pretty good. I am not a bourbon geek by any means, but in my opinion this one benefits from a good long breathing after the pour. People having trouble with a funky finish or a lot of raw ethanol on the palate might benefit from letting this one air out for a while in the glass, but YMMV of course.

Haven't tried any of the rest of the ones on this list but I would certainly like to.

Treated myself to a bottle of Bulleit, haven't sampled it yet. My cousin is coming up from California for thanksgiving, have him searching for a bottle of Balcones True Blue. Fingers crossed... As for Woodford, it got me into trouble last night. The sipping got faster as the night went on...

I just tried Woodford reserve. I'm a Bourbon and Kentucky whiskey virgin, so don't be too hard on me yet. I have a bottle of Makers Mark that I know I won't touch again, just can't stand the initial assault on my palette. The Woodford, I have to force myself NOT to touch, yum!
I haven't seen any of the bottles on that list where I live (Saskatchewan, Canada)...
Woodford is good stuff, and I am surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet. BTW, welcome to the forum.

Bulleit... what an aroma!!! I had read that it was a brand that had a high Rye content. The flavor indicated as much. I'm liking it, will take a few more glasses to be 100% sold on it. So far, it's still Woodford for me. Didn't mind Gentleman Jack the one time I tried it...

Bulleit... what an aroma!!! I had read that it was a brand that had a high Rye content. The flavor indicated as much. I'm liking it, will take a few more glasses to be 100% sold on it. So far, it's still Woodford for me. Didn't mind Gentleman Jack the one time I tried it...

Bulleit Rye is the smoothest hooch I've ever had.

I along with a few of the others agree that there are some that should take the place of some of the others. TOP bourbon? There are so many bourbons that are $35+ that are really really good. Bourbons can be so different so this list in my opinion is useless. Good to give people some ideas of what to look for or get. Some non-expensive ones should be on there in place of the others. Bulleit, Eagle Rare, Maker's 46, Blanton's, Four Roses Small Batch (Oh so good. Smooth. I am not a huge fan of the 1B), Old Grand Dad, (Hell $18 +/- it is 100% neat drinkable.), Rowans Creek...etc. Best way to find out what's good is to buy a lot of it & drink it fast! :lol:

I've really gotten into bourbon over the last 3 years or so. I'm not a fan of wheaters. I like more spice up front. And I think it's a crime Breckenridge Bourbon was left off the list. That stuff is amazing, but like someone else said, once you get over $35+, there's a lot of great stuff out there. I'm much more a fan of the "bang for your buck" drinks. Jim Beam Black is great for beginners. Elmer T Lee, Buffalo Trace, and Bulleit are all great. And for a mixer, you won't find a better cheap bourbon than Benchmark 8. Same mash bill as Buffalo Trace. It's not great, but it's a good bourbon and I can get a handle in Illinois for $17. Great deal.

Interesting list.
Russells Reserve is highly underrated. I haven't tried the single barrel but their 10 year small batch is great for the price. I can usually get it for around $18-20 dollars.

Big fan of Blantons for that vanilla, spice, smooth feel.

bulleit makes a good mixer

elijah Craig 12 year is a good cheaper one, kind of smoky type different from the above

Very best, any Pappy. Can't ever seem to be in the right place at the right time.
Next very best, Van Winkle 12. Usually can get 1 or two a year.
Best generally available, Buffalo Trace.
Will do in a pinch, Woodford and Blantons.

Very best, any Pappy. Can't ever seem to be in the right place at the right time.
Next very best, Van Winkle 12. Usually can get 1 or two a year.
Best generally available, Buffalo Trace.
Will do in a pinch, Woodford and Blantons.

Pappy is very good. It takes an amazing amount of time for them to make the 20 & 23 year. But, I'm getting tired of everybody getting their britches in a twist for Pappy. Pappy Pappy Pappy. Just because it is rare. I've had them all but if PVW is on the shelf as much as Stagg, Eagle Rare 17 or the like...then it wouldn't be all the craze. People getting multiple bottles and selling them for 3, 4, 5 times the price just because it's a unicorn. Enjoy it but I'm not going to put it on a pedestal just because it's rare. Humph. Bahumbug.

Balconnes Baby Blue... my cousin found a bottle in Palm Springs. I wasn't a fan off the hop, but it did grow on me. I've decided Bulleitt is #1 for me, it's reasonably priced and flavourful. Woodford Reserve if I'm in a spending mood. I also like single barrell Jack. Tried Blantons, my brother in law brought a $100 bottle home from New Orleans. Not sure I'd spend that much on it... Overall, the bourbon life is the life for me!!!

Top Bottom