What's new

The Demise of Early Times Bottled in Bond

Back in June of 2020 when the announcement broke that Sazerac had acquired the Early Times label from Brown-Forman, there was a lot of consternation about what would become of ET's wonderful bonded expression bourbon. A lot of folks (myself included) were not optimistic about a favorable outcome for this high value bottling under Sazerac ownership. After nearly a year of radio silence, Sazerac announced last spring that production of ET would move to their Barton 1792 distillery in Bardstown come summer of 2021. The announcement went to great lengths to stress that ET bonded would be produced "using the same recipe and mashbill". OK, sounds reassuring.

Having read this announcement, and knowing that bonded bourbon must be at least four years old, imagine my surprise when I picked up a bottle of ET bonded the other day and saw on the label that some of this whiskey was distilled at DSP-KY-12, which is the Barton 1792 distillery. That means that this batch of ET bonded contains juice that was made no less than four years ago at Barton, meaning it is Barton make that was already in the barrel at least two years before Sazerac bought the ET label. So much for the "same recipe and mashbill" BS.

When I brought the bottle home, SWMBO and I conducted a side-by-side with a bottle of all-Brown-Forman ET bonded we had in reserve. My worst fears were realized. It really was no comparison: the all-Brown-Forman version was the usual dark, rich stuff that punches way above its $20 price point, while the version with the Barton juice tasted thin, young and hot. While my wife and I don't always share the same taste in whiskey, on this one we were unanimous: the current release of ET bonded is a pale shadow of its former self. So if you are lucky enough to have some original ET bonded in reserve, savor it knowing it has gone the way of the Dodo.

Early Times Bottled in Bond, may you rest in peace.

Interesting that they already replaced the barrels. I had assumed there'd be a period of time where it was still the Brown-Foreman barrels that were already aging. I guess they took some of the 1792 BiB barrels that didn't live up to that standard and swapped the labels early. Too bad.

I'm not sure what the mashbill comparison is between the 2. I'd imagine they are fairly close, but the yeast could be completely different. It's amazing what a difference the yeast can make in distilling.

Makes me wish I'd tried ET BIB at some point. I do enjoy Brown-Forman's Old Forester 100. Appreciate your insight on the change. I'll avoid ET BIB now.

ET was on my must try list until I heard it was moving. At that point, I decided to NOT get a bottle. That way if I loved it, I wouldn't be sad I could no longer get any.

After watching some YouTube videos saying that this is a great value bourbon and the profile is still about the same.

I just picked up a bottle today. Poured 2 fingers with a splash of water.

It tastes young and a little hot to me. Going to try it with a couple of ice cubes next time. But I’ll be surprised if it will make that much of a difference.

I’m thinking that this will be used as a mixer and for cooking with.

Wish a would have just stuck with Buffalo trace or Bulliet and spent a couple $$’s more.

I picked up a bottle of the Sazerac Early Times BiB on my trip to Kentucky and I was anticipating an amazing bourbon looking at all the reviews.

The nose and mouthfeel was great. I got a deep rich nose and very syrupy mouthfeel. Palate was decent but on the finish, it was thin and more on the bitter side. Compared to JTS Brown which I also picked up, it didn't match for me.

Still, it's not a bad pickup under 30 bucks but I wish I got to taste the Brown Foreman version.

Regular ET 80 proof is my go to whiskey when I’m on the road. Back in the hotel room with a bucket of ice I’m a happy boy. I hope it doesn’t change

The sad thing is that the Japan Export Early Times Brown KSBW was a victim of the sale. It has been replaced by crap American blended whiskey trash. The old Brown KSBW was very rich and was filtered through charred coconut rather than charcoal. It was delicious and cheap and rather unique. No one outside of a few countries in Asia knows anything about it though.

Sadly my last bottle was lost to the Covid Epoch.

Top Bottom