What's new

Tempted to upgrade to E61 machine

Congratulations on a great machine!! I love my Vetrano! :001_wub:

Are you going to be roasting your own?

Thanks! CC & QM seem like awesome companies, I'm glad to meet another satisfied customer. The Ulka pump is noisier than I expected, even coming from a vibe pump in my Crossland. It's fine though, just catches you off guard on the autofill. Folks here 'warned me' but I can't say that I'm upset.

As for roasting - No, I haven't gone down that rabbit hole. I am very pleased with Redbird Coffee from Montana - quick turnaround on orders, great blends and SOs. And I just found a local shop that roasts a bunch of SOs (and I'm using their espresso blend for now because it was the only thing I could get for the weekend initial setup). I won't say "never" but I do know my wife dislikes the smell of brewing espresso, so I can only imagine if I was roasting, even outdoors!

I know that when I put an Erics thermometer kit on my e61 head and learned what temp was optimal for my machine to stop the cooling flush and pull shots I was able to pull fantastic shots with no hit or miss like counting down from end of the gurgle. Its worth every penny!

I also love the joysticks on the hot water and steam I added later as an accessory.
If your on the same counter as plumbed water I would tap in but only if you use an RO filter system inline. You can't use water straight from the tap or you'll ruin the machine.

I know that when I put an Erics thermometer kit on my e61 head and learned what temp was optimal for my machine to stop the cooling flush and pull shots I was able to pull fantastic shots with no hit or miss like counting down from end of the gurgle. Its worth every penny!

I also love the joysticks on the hot water and steam I added later as an accessory.
If your on the same counter as plumbed water I would tap in but only if you use an RO filter system inline. You can't use water straight from the tap or you'll ruin the machine.

Thanks, Scott. I was debating the thermometer kit because I wasn't sure how helpful it would be. But you sold me on it. Isn't the Vertrano a dual boiler? Or was the older one an HX? I looked at the joysticks too, but had too much sticker shock; there's always later for that option!

My vetrano is from 2013 and I think they are all hx machines. If you bought your stuff from Chris Coffee you have some reward points that are as good as cash towards buying stuff from them. I think after all the goodies I bought there I used my bonus money to nearly pay for the joysticks completely.

Yes you are right about the points. Debating an in tank softener, or Erics thermometer. I will pass on the joysticks for the time being.

Yes you are right about the points. Debating an in tank softener, or Erics thermometer. I will pass on the joysticks for the time being.

You really should have both ut I would go with the Thermometer first. If your cups are always either sour or bitter your missing the mark. The window is a lot narrower than you would think.

You really should have both ut I would go with the Thermometer first. If your cups are always either sour or bitter your missing the mark. The window is a lot narrower than you would think.

I took the time to actually look up softeners, and those 30-grain in-tank ones are about $15. Depending on what their sales folks say about recharge ability and compatibility with my machine, I will add it to my thermometer order so I get the free shipping.

If my wife gets angry, I'm pointing her in your direction Scott! :tongue_sm

The fun certainly continues! After a week of ownership I've gone through nearly a pound of beans, which, even after you subtract the ~7 shots pulled just for dialing in (several at first, then another three after I decided to clean my grinder), is still about double my previous consumption rate. My cappuccino : espresso ratio is up too now that I can steam milk in about 45 seconds.

I had it open tonight so that I could increase the pressurestat a little; I didn't like that it was dipping down to 0.8 when steaming. This will increase my cooling flush too, that I know. I haven't ordered my thermometer yet, and I really should because my engineer brain loves numbers. :)

Sounds like it is all coming together for you.

All I can say is MORE PHOTOS :a28:
You got it, sir!

So I may have slightly overshot the pressurestat (there are no indicators or markings, just a screw) - It came factory 1.05 and dipped to 0.8 on steaming. I felt that it should be remaining over 1 bar while steaming so I was looking for 1.2 at rest. It came up to about 1.25, which is good, but I did see it hit a max of 1.5 when I closed the steam arm just as the heating element was on. I am going to give it a week and see how it goes.

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1428985832997.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1428985832997.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 39
I love this machine! I'm still learning how to get the temperature right on an HX (no digital thermometer mod - yet?) but am enjoying almost every shot I put through this machine. I totally understand why folks plumb these in now, too; I refilled the reservoir last night, but today, with a couple flushes, couple shots, and steaming some milk, I used nearly a liter of water (3L reservoir)!

At the current setting I'm getting a great swirl on the milk frothing but using a lot of water to flush. I wish it was easier to get the case off to tweak this because I wouldn't mind fine tuning it since I do more shots than froth, but it's getting to be about 2:1 instead of the former 4:1 (faster froth = more frequent cappuccinos).

Just fyi the pstat is raising the temp of the water which in turn gives you more steam pressure but I don't think turning it down will help. Once you figure it out and your pulling 30 second shots the temp doesn't drop much after the first few seconds and it rebounds quickly for a second shot. Its like a minute or less to be able to pull that second shot if your first one is tamped to the right pressure and you draw at the right temp. I have been using that thermometer mod for a long time ans there is a high level of consistency in the machine if you can repeat your part of the process just as precise each time.
i think its about the count of 8 when the gurgle stops and its within temp.

Last edited:
Just fti the pstat is raising the temp of the water which in turn gives you more steam pressure but I don't think turning it down will help. Once you figure it out and your pulling 30 sexond shots the temp doesnt drop much after the first few seconds and it rebounds quickly for a second shot. Its like a minute or less to be able to pull that second shot if your first one is tamped to the right pressure and you draw at the right temp. I have been using that thermoter mod for a long time ans there is a high level of consistency in the machine if you can repeat your part of the process just as precise each time.
i think its about the count of 8 when the gurgle stops and its within temp.

I'm more interested in tweaking it to lower the volume required for a cooling flush. I'm on a reservoir and between 1.05 and 1.4 the flush requires several additional ounces of water which add up rather quickly, especially on a weekend when I make multiple drinks spread out over the day.

I don't think your gonna gain much by lowering the temps but you will lose steam pressure for frothing. I'll measure how much I pull during a cooling flush in a few minutes. Whats your procedure to flush? I pull it down so I can start my pull for a shot immediately without a rebound. Start to finish I am done in like a minute or so.

Top Bottom