What's new

Tempted to upgrade to E61 machine

That was nice of them. Good to hear that they go the extra mile even when NOT asked (or begged as the case may be)

That was nice of them. Good to hear that they go the extra mile even when NOT asked (or begged as the case may be)

Yeah, Bill Crossland really is a standup guy. If he had an E61 machine I'd be ordering it tout de suite.
Meanwhile, I showed my wife both the QM & Expobar, and she says "they're both ugly. Your current machine is ugly too, I want you to replace it with something nice."

Unfortunately, none fit the bill, since every E61 machine looks about the same. I tried some non-E61 machines on for size, she refused the Nuova Simonelli Musica :)blink:), Speedster, and Vivaldi. As I mentioned in another thread, she really dislikes my espresso hobby. But I'm not giving up!

Yeah, Bill Crossland really is a standup guy. If he had an E61 machine I'd be ordering it tout de suite.
Meanwhile, I showed my wife both the QM & Expobar, and she says "they're both ugly. Your current machine is ugly too, I want you to replace it with something nice."

Unfortunately, none fit the bill, since every E61 machine looks about the same. I tried some non-E61 machines on for size, she refused the Nuova Simonelli Musica :)blink:), Speedster, and Vivaldi. As I mentioned in another thread, she really dislikes my espresso hobby. But I'm not giving up!

I heard the same when I wanted a replacement for the X5. Too big. Too ugly.

The Pasquini passed the "too big / too ugly" test for her so it came home.

proxy.php

QM and Office Lever would have gone as tall as the Bunn Commercial.

proxy.php

Last edited:
You need to start playing soothing sounds with pictures of E61 machines on your TV while she sleeps. It should only take 7-10 days before she changes her view:thumbup: Really......it works!

I have a Quickmill Vetrano which is very similar and other than a couple rubber orings going bad its been a great a machine. I put an Erics thermometer on it so I wasn't guessing at the cooldown pull and I couldn't be happier with it.

If I was to buy an E61 I'ld buy a Rocket Cellini evo3.
Great machine with a Rotary pump and still affordable.
Not a dual boiler but a HX and some time to get to know it makes great coffee.
Only E61 I ever owned was a quickmill Andreja.
Ran great fot two years .Sold it and entered the world of levers.
:thumbup:

Today, the missus showed me a Jura on Costco that meets her counter top seal of approval. I tried one at Sur la Table and it makes an acceptable milk drink, but the straight shots were disappointing. I think it would be a few steps backwards.

If you are thinking a super auto maybe an interim step would be a Nescafe? You would need to do the "milk parts" yourself but I think the results might be better?

Many folks really like the Jura machines and they are well built.

Finding something that keeps SWMBO happy is the first step bit it does need to make coffee.

I appreciate the advice on how nescafe, Mick, but the auto milk is probably the only thing that has me considering a one touch! I will probably give up and unbox the CC1 soon.

Guess I've been lucky to have a wife that has aesthetic sensibilities that are mostly in line with my own which surprises me as she's an interior designer. Though there are times when I don't get what she wants to do until everything's done and together.

Hope you find something that she can live with and that produces acceptable -- no -- excellent, espresso for you!

I was asked if I still want "that espresso machine" as our anniversary is approaching. The answer is "yes, dear!"

I really like the Quick Mill systems because they seem easy to work on and the ChrisCoffee reputation is pretty solid. Even though the Expobar is half the price, I worry about it because Whole Latte Love does not have a good reputation. Plus, "buy once cry once", right gents?

I did learn that my "dream machine" Andreja is not a convertable plumbable, you have to do some work on it including rewiring the Gicar control unit -- they give you a harness and all, but that isnt' like I thought with a switch. So I'm seriously considering a Vetrano. For $250 more (since I don't need an optional plumb kit) I would get a rotary pump and dual boiler/dual PID instead of the HX. The DB is definitely overkill (the HX is overkill too, I admit), but that seems like it might be worth it.

Any inputs on that?

I can say from personal experience the Quickmill are easy to
work on if needed and the Chris Coffee service department is fantastic to deal
with if you require assistance with your machine while under warranty or not.

AAAAnd, the temptation is over. An open box special for the Andreja Premium showed up and it was 9% off - described as never used by a customer, just in-house for videos or a few month demo. That sealed the deal with me, but I did have to concede the plumb-kit. (oh and for those following along, that made the difference to a Vertrano 2B $425 even if I bought the plumb kit, or $570 as it stands).

I am pretty excited, now I just need to sell the (newly refurbished) Crossland CC1. The plan was to do that first, but didn't want to miss the discount.

:thumbup1:

It's here! I have not taken the time, with the holiday, to dial in the coffee, although I did buy some fresh-roasted local coffee yesterday in anticipation. Instead I used it to 'practice' steaming (so much faster and more powerful!) and drawing hot water for some loose leaf tea. It came with a bottomless portafilter and a triple basket in addition to my 9% open box sale!

It's much deeper and wider than the Crossland, and it's a good thing I have a lowered counter to put it on so I can refill the water chamber. But even so I don't have a way to remove the chamber for cleaning without pulling the whole unit forward. I already have the itch to plumb it but that was a concession I had to make with my wife.

I will probably post an update once it's all dialed in.

$IMAG0308.jpg

That is a sweet looking machine. Please update when you start pulling some shots. I want A big boy espresso machine at some point. I'm at a year on my Breville and I'm looking to upgrade.

Sitting here drinking Americanos admiring your new machine.

Way to go. You've got yourself a machine that will last you a lifetime :yesnod:

Thanks, Dirk and Mick.
I don't have the grind really dialed in, but it tasted good enough and looked reasonable enough to share a photo!

Edit: Wow, when I look at that photo on the screen I realize how disgusting my lens was - I swear the cups weren't that gross!

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1428358959320.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1428358959320.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 29
Top Bottom