What's new

temjeito's shave journal (starting with very first SR shave!

This brush is getting intriguing.

I don't think one would have to really change technique from a wedge to hollow based on hairs NOT being cut. It's usually based on cutting too harsh especially if honed on same style of honing

Well, maybe it is the edge. I'm using the Bowdins Wedge tomorrow for my Patriotic 4th of July Mostly Made in the USA shave, but maybe after that I'll give the little KB Extra another shot after some time on the balsa strop.

Well, maybe it is the edge. I'm using the Bowdins Wedge tomorrow for my Patriotic 4th of July Mostly Made in the USA shave, but maybe after that I'll give the little KB Extra another shot after some time on the balsa strop.

Sounds like a good plan. It is really hard to determine if it's technique, edge, or a combination when you are still fairly new. Heck, I think I'm barely to where I can even tell to any degree of accuracy. lol

J. Torrey 5/8 Near Wedge
Mike's Orange Cedarwood & Black Pepper
B&B Boar
Captain's Choice Lime

For 4th of July I tried to use all Made in the USA products. I don't have an American-made brush (yet -- yes, I'm looking at you, Rudy Vey), so I went with the only brush in my collection that isn't obviously foreign (of my 5 brushes, 3 have foreign languages on them and one contains an explicit reference to "Her Majesty The Queen").

Today's shave was night and day from yesterday's. The Torrey occasionally tugged ever so slightly, but it took of more hair in one quick WTG pass than the KB did after yesterday's entire 1-hour extravaganza. I followed up with two XTG passes, trying out different directions (e.g., If the first XTG pass on my cheek was ear-chin, the second was chin-ear, etc.). This resulted in a very nice DFS/BBS. I tried a few new approaches on the neck, including some ATG, and so I got a fair bit of irritation on the neck (but one of the closest neck-shaves so far with a straight).

On the jawline, I tried something I do all the time with safety razors, but don't think I've done before with a straight: I tucked my chin down to kind of bunch up the skin on my neck, and present a flatter surface. Because the skin is a bit malleable in this position, and thus susceptible to bunching up ahead of the razor, I consider it an "advanced maneuver". I was able to execute it without incident (with the help of a bit of stretching here and there), and I think it will become a part of my regular routine, as it does a better job of getting the hairs below the jawline than stretching the skin down while lifting the chin up.

I also got good results from a sort of fan-shaped stroke on the lower neck, starting with the blade in a N-S orientation, tip pointing towards my head, and then "fanning" it down and out, focusing on short, light strokes with just a small part of the blade.

The strop lately feels like it is dragging/catching a little, whereas the first few times I used it it felt like an air hockey table. Not sure why that is. There also were a few nicks on my strop from my recent outing with the KB Extra, so I sanded those down with some 400 grit paper. The strop has lost its pristine beauty, but I suppose it will still work just as well. :bored: Better, hopefully, since the nicks are gone. I don't have any oil or conditioner, so I just rubbed it real good with my hands, hoping that would clean and oil it sufficiently. Then I stropped the KB Extra and the Torrey on treated balsa and then on the leather strop. The sanding does not seem to have altered the feel of the strop for better or worse (most of my strokes go between the two sanded areas anyway). I'm starting to wish I'd gotten a strop with linen or felt to clean up the blade before stropping...

This was my first time using Mike's soap, and I liked it a lot. The smell of the Orange, Cedarwood & Black Pepper is nice, although I'm not sure I'd get it again vs. trying other scents. The lather was very good--I'd say on a par with Tabac. I ended up bowl lathering after two passes of face lathering, as I sometimes do when I can't get a decent lather out of my brush on the second pass. I really prefer face lathering, but I get consistently better lathers from bowl lathering. I've got to figure out what's going on with my face-lathering technique.

Last edited by a moderator:
5/8 J. R. Torrey near-wedge
Kent BK8
O Melhor cream
Captain's Choice Cat O' Nine Tails
$Image.jpg
Much as I love the B&B boar, I spent all day today wishing I'd used the BK8. Man, I already love that stupid brush. Also, a tube of O Melhor cream arrived yesterday, and I've been dying to try it out. Then, tonight I ended up with some unexpected "me" time when both kids fell asleep early (hooray for Grandma's swimming pool!), so I jumped the gun on something I'd been thinking about but not really seriously considering doing until I was at least 100 shaves in: I shaved my head.

I had 11 days' growth on my noggin', having shaved it with the Cobra Classic when it was my turn for the pass-around, and all I can say is: this is what it's all about. I've been shaving my head intermittently for years. First with a Mach 3, then with a HeadBlade, more recently with DEs & SEs. This. Was. The. Best. Shave. Of. My. Life.

It wasn't the closest (I did two passes from front-back; sometimes I go ATG on the back and sides to get BBS). It wasn't the most perfect (I can feel a few hairs at the corners of my ears, and under the bump I have in the back of my head, that didn't get cut down as much as their brethren). It probably wasn't the quickest (although it was close). But it was far and away the most enjoyable. Every other time I've shaved my head, I have felt like I was doing something awkward (either using a tool that wasn't meant for the job or, in the case of the HeadBlade, using a matchbox car). Oddly, given how new and awkward I still am with a straight, this just felt right.

I started out nervous--I'm not that good with a straight on my face after 30 shaves, and I almost always cut myself when I shave my head, even when I used to use carts. I showered, rubbed some O Melhor on my wet head (love the smell!), and very quickly whipped up a nice big bowl of wet, ropy lather (this is good stuff!). Rinsed off the stuff on my head and lathered up. I tentatively reached for the razor and...for no apparent reason applied a grip I've never used before: three fingers on the tang, pinky in the tail, thumb on the side of the blade. When I brought the blade to my head, I almost immediately had the right angle, and the Torrey (fresh from a balsa & leather stropping) seemed to glide on rails. I hardly even used my hand mirror. Everything just clicked, and the hair just melted off. No cuts, nicks, weepers, etc. Second pass was really just clean up--with a little practice I'm certain I could get as good or better results with just one front-back pass. Very little irritation, as well -- just a bit on the back of my neck, in spots where I kind of flubbed the angle, or shaved over a spot without sufficient lather. The alum block found those spots, but the Cat barely registered.

...and I just now realized why I held the razor the way I did, and why it worked so well. I held my razor similar to how I hold a paring knife when I'm peeling something. And that's pretty much the technique I used on my head--like peeling a giant lemon.:chef:

To top it all off, I lathered up a tiny bit of MWF this morning and applied it to my newly-sanded strop. This almost completely eliminated the "sanded" look, and returned the strop to its previous beauty, PLUS the draw is back to what it was when I first got the strop.:a14:

"I shaved my head with a straight razor. What did you do today?"

Last edited:
:a50: W00T! :a50:

How are you liking the Torrey? I have the same razor and it's my favorite so far, it gives me the smoothest shaves. You're brave for shaving your head with a straight.

How are you liking the Torrey? I have the same razor and it's my favorite so far, it gives me the smoothest shaves.

I love the Torrey. Hard to say yet whether I prefer it over other heavy-grind razors I have used, but it is definitely a smooth shaver and a pleasure to use.

You're brave for shaving your head with a straight.

I fully expected it to be a bloodbath, but I found it easier than doing my face. Fewer tricky spots, the hair is not as thick/tough, and the skin is mostly stretched already. The only dodgy part is doing the back when you can't see what you're doing.

Very very cool on the head shave. Someday I may give a shaved head a try... if SWMBO ever decides she's OK with me no longer having the long hair. lol

5/8 J.R. Torrey near-wedge
Pre de Provence
Kent KB8

This is really starting to feel natural. This morning's shave was no big deal. I got out of the shower, washed my face with MWF bath soap, left it on while I did a few quick passes on the strop and loaded the brush, and washed it off before face-lathering some PdP. No issues there: got a decent, consistent lather right away that was more than enough for two passes. Two quick, uneventful passes with the Torrey and we're in CCS/DFS territory. Muscle memory is starting to develop, and the passes I do regularly are coming very easily now. My "chin down" approach to the jawline is also quite satisfactory. VERY little irritation (just a touch at the base of my neck), no nicks, cuts or weepers, and the whole thing probably took about 15 minutes from face wash through clean-up.

I keep thinking about my safety razors. I have about 30 DE and SE razors, many of which I'm quite fond of. The slant, the HD, the G-Bar, the Super adjustable, the NEW, the Piccolo, the 1924...some great shavers and some beautiful machines. I'm just not sure I'll ever really want to use any of them again.:001_unsur

I keep thinking about my safety razors. I have about 30 DE and SE razors, many of which I'm quite fond of. The slant, the HD, the G-Bar, the Super adjustable, the NEW, the Piccolo, the 1924...some great shavers and some beautiful machines. I'm just not sure I'll ever really want to use any of them again.:001_unsur

Welcome to my dilemma... lol

Krusius Bros. KB Extra 25 (pass 1)
Loeffler & Sykes 5/8 Kutezy SL (passes 2&3)
RazoRock La Famiglia Nonno Michelino Sandalwood
Semogue 1305

Yesterday I gave the KB Extra another shot. After stropping it on my whipped dog treated balsa (20 green, 20 red), and another 20 or so passes on the leather, I hoped it would do a better job. But, when the first pass left me with tons of stubble, I gave up and grabbed the Kutezy. It's frustrating, because I like the KB. It was my first razor, and 20 or so shaves ago I thought it gave me my best shave ever. Of course, the quality of my shaves has improved a lot since then.... I really want to give it another shot, but when it nicked my strop again, I decided it just isn't worth it. I have other razors that give me consistently great shaves, without destroying my strop. Why bother? (Still, I really want to know why I can't get better shaves from it, and part of me wants to keep trying until i do. I'm perverse that way.)

The Kutezy did short work of the remaining stubble, leaving me with a CCS/DFS comparable to yesterday. Almost no irritation, other than a couple of small spots where I flubbed the angle, and a few shallow scratches on my neck where I dragged the tip (I thought I muted that thing!).

I'm unimpressed with the RazoRock soap. The lather was OK, but dried very quickly so I was reapplying lather pretty much every time I wiped off the razor, and I don't care for the smell. Unless someone tells me that the Artisan, Shave Cream, or Karite lines are way better, I think this will be my first and last RazoRock soap.

The Old English Razor
Kent BK8
MWF
Captain's Choice Lime

After my July 4 mostly-American shave, I decided to do a mostly-British theme shave with some of my absolute favorites. MWF is still my favorite soap, and the Kent BK8 quickly became my favorite brush. The Harmar Cast Steel wedge is probably my favorite razor, in part because of great shaves like today's, and in part because it is so unique.

I didn't get a chance to shave until the afternoon, and then only did one quick pass. It was a great pass, giving me CCS. The blade felt a little "sticky" at times (I had this happen when I used La Toja, so I wonder if it wasn't my lather), but the shave was so smooth I couldn't believe it every time I wiped the blade and saw all the hair. ZERO irritation. I'm really loving this.

It's hard to diagnose but 9 times out of 10 when a blade is "sticky" it's my lather. That's not to say it couldn't be something else, but it's generally the slickness of my lather that's the issue.

It's hard to diagnose but 9 times out of 10 when a blade is "sticky" it's my lather. That's not to say it couldn't be something else, but it's generally the slickness of my lather that's the issue.

Yeah, I almost certainly didn't have enough water.

I'd suggest giving one of the RR Artisan talllow formula soaps a try as well, before discounting the entire line. I get a very close to Cella lather experience with them. With the price point so cheap, and so many other fans willing to buy it from you if you still hate it, you don't have a lot to lose. :)

5/8 CVH MK 3
Semogue 1305
Williams

2-pass DFS with my beautiful Swede, but not as smooth as I would have liked. A fair amount of irritation, and the blade felt sluggish. To the balsa strop, Batman!

P.S., I could take or leave Williams. Mostly leave.

I've never tried Williams, but I really did not like the scent at all of the puck in the box, I couldn't imagine my whole face smelling like that, even for the short time the lather would be on it.

Spike Wedge
Bock Silvertip
Green Mountain Balsam Spice
(Godrej cream)

Another fantastic shave! Every day I notice a bit more improvement. Two pass DFS today, with a brand new (to me) Spike wedge purchased on B/S/T from Brooksie967. Beautiful razor, plenty sharp, super-smooth.

I rubbed a dime-size glop of Godrej on my face before lathering up with the Green Mountain and the lather just EXPLODED! Unfortunately, I think it also resulted in too much product/not enough water. This was my first time trying Green Mountain (or Godrej), so I don't know why I decided to mix the two. Oh, well, they both seem good.

The Bock is a great brush, and beautiful, but maybe a bit small and a bit floppy for me, now that I've tasted the BK8. That stupid brush has ruined me for other brushes.

Do the smaller photos make this easier to read? You can click on them to see a larger size.

Bowdins wedge
Semogue 1305
Col. Conk Lime
Captain's Choice Lime

# of passes: 2
Result: DFS/BBS
Quality of lather: too dry
Irritation: 3/10

I got a Salux exfoliating towel, and used it for the first time this morning in the shower. I think it may be a bit rough for use on the face. I also forgot to strop the blade this morning. One or both of these combined with a weak, dry lather of Col.
Conk's (not a terrible soap, but not one that's likely to make it into my rotation with any regularity. I got it for the travel tub, which is great) left me with a bit more irritation than I've come to expect. Nothing terrible, but the alum had more to say than usual, in a lot of different places.

I'm itching to try honing, but I just haven't had the time...

Top Bottom