What's new

Technology is still stupid sometimes

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I use a mesh wireless network at home. It provides all the speed I need as I don't play online PC games, and provides excellent coverage for the house. I don't recall the last time I plugged in a printer, but it has been years. I considered wiring the house but to retrofit it would take more time and effort than I wanted to spend. I would likely have Cat 6a or 7 run if I were to have a home built today, but would still have wireless available for phones and tablets. We are moving a lot of connectivity to wireless at work as well and rarely have an issue. Of course, we are using enterprise access points and controllers so nothing like I would have at home. We continue to have a lot of wired connections as some functions, such as VTCs, data analytics and GIS, use a lot of bandwidth.

They put that in here. Mrs. C loves it, as it follows her and her tablet all around the house.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Bunch of nerds :tongue_sm

Or is that herd of nerds. Then everyone will just nod their heads going, yep.

I hate how 5g is said to be better than 4g but need a lot more towers to give the same coverage.
No biggie if they had installed enough of them before going to 5g. How's a man meant to stream music while driving in the wop wops? OK I know the answer, but I don't want to be limited to what I've downloaded........or insert a CD......we have 5g after all.

Seems a thread of first world problems.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Or is that herd of nerds. Then everyone will just nod their heads going, yep.

I hate how 5g is said to be better than 4g but need a lot more towers to give the same coverage.
No biggie if they had installed enough of them before going to 5g. How's a man meant to stream music while driving in the wop wops? OK I know the answer, but I don't want to be limited to what I've downloaded........or insert a CD......we have 5g after all.

Seems a thread of first world problems.
They just tell us that 5g needs more towers. It doesn't really. They just need more towers because they are piggybacking the mind control signals over the wireless network.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
They just tell us that 5g needs more towers. It doesn't really. They just need more towers because they are piggybacking the mind control signals over the wireless network.

Good luck controlling my mind. Even I can't get that mess under control. 🤣
Maybe they need more to cover the ones people are burning down.

Now we are at first world foil hat zone. :sorcerer:

Last edited:
Google app
Google Authenticator app
YouTube app
Chrome app

These are all Google apps I have on my phone. I’m trying to upload a video via the YouTube app, but I’m not signed in. So I sign in and 2 step verification wants me to open the Google App and enter the number provided within the app when the prompt shows up. Well, I’m not signed in to the Google App either, so no prompt shows up.

Ok, fine. I’ll sign in to the Google App. But wait…the Google App tells me to open the Google App and enter a number for 2 step verification when the prompt shows up. What? I already have the Google App open! So open the already open Google App? What?

Let me try Google Authenticator. Nope, same thing. Open the Google App. How in the *$$&%*(^^&$*&% are you supposed to sign in to all these apps if you can’t enter the 2-step code BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT SIGNED IN.

Turn off 2 step? Sign in? Turn 2 step back on? How dumb is that! This type of stupidity is infuriating.

Here’s another example. My phone says “syncing of photos is paused to save battery life”. I have 82%!!! 82% battery life!! What are you saving 82% Battery life for!? Sync the damn photos! I’d understand if it was like 20% maybe 30%. 82!!!!
The authentication dependency chain between apps, devices, locations, email accounts, and SMS is a big mess and painful to use at times. But don't worry, ID.me, facial recognition, phone DNA scanner, etc will soon make it so easy. (I am joking but wonder if the future might be worse).

The Gopro Hero action camera is the best in that category. It is now at generation 12 but won't upload clips unless the device is plugged into a charger no matter if the battery is at 100%. But their software experience is generally lacking overall.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Here's the latest I'm dealing with. In a way technology but in a way not.

My Nitecore rechargeable headlamp would not charge correctly. Just quickly flashing LED indicators. So I go to google to search.

• Google: Nitecore NU33 fast flashing led. (and various other combinations which yield no results)
  • Nitecore website has a contact us form. I fill it out and explain my question
  • Nitecore rep replies: We are sorry, blah blah please provide receipt
  • I ordered from Amazon so I send the Amazon Invoice
  • They say sorry "we are Lumen Tactical on Amazon please email the manufacture directly" and provide an email for nitcore
  • I forward the email chain stating "I don't need a warranty claim I just need a question answered"
  • They reply with "thanks for contacting the Nitecore factory in China" and they want the serial number and receipt
  • I reply with the same Amazon Invoice and photo of the serial number
  • Awaiting reply

This is why people go postal.

I have a simple question - What does the quick flashing LED charging light mean?

No one can answer it because no one even reads it. Instead you get bounced around because god forbid you just might have a problem with your $5.00 flashlight.

mcee_sharp

MCEAPWINMOLQOVTIAAWHAMARTHAEHOAIDIAMRHDAE
I can't wait to take my "smart" home offline with something like Home Assistant on a Raspberry Pi. All this cloud access many of us allow in our lives feels like a figurative colonoscopy...literally.

I have a simple question - What does the quick flashing LED charging light mean?
I am not familiar with your flashlight, so I sound not respond, but sounds like a problem with the rechargeable battery. Like it has high resistance, poor connection (low supply voltage) or similar.

But I agree with your sentiment, that the manufacturer should be able to answer a basic question about their flashlight without giving the runaround.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member

My Nitecore rechargeable headlamp would not charge correctly. Just quickly flashing LED indicators. So I go to google to search.

• Google: Nitecore NU33 fast flashing led. (and various other combinations which yield no results)
  • They say sorry "we are Lumen Tactical on Amazon please email the manufacture directly" and provide an email for nitcore
  • I forward the email chain stating "I don't need a warranty claim I just need a question answered"
  • They reply with "thanks for contacting the Nitecore factory in China" and they want the serial number and receipt
  • Awaiting reply

No one can answer it because no one even reads it. Instead you get bounced around because god forbid you just might have a problem with your $5.00 flashlight.
I went online this morning to try to check status on some prescriptions through the VA. I had to create a Gov log in account.
In doing so, I had to enter some personal information, including a phone number.
After I entered the info, they had to verify that it was me making the entries, so they sent a verification code to me by text to the number I had just entered.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I went online this morning to try to check status on some prescriptions through the VA. I had to create a Gov log in account.
In doing so, I had to enter some personal information, including a phone number.
After I entered the info, they had to verify that it was me making the entries, so they sent a verification code to me by text to the number I had just entered.
Sounds like government to me!

Anyone planning to login into the EFTPS (Electronic Federal Tax Payment System) to make an Q4 2023 estimated tax payment by mid-January may also need to create a login.gov account. I submitted a payment in December and was surprised by this new procedure as compared to Q3. The Gov account site looked less intrusive than alternatives like ID.me, but still seem like too much to be asking for sending them a "check".

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member

• Awaiting reply

Adding more to the story

Nitecore China told me to message the Amazon seller.

For me this will be the end of it. I’m not chasing my tail and being bounced around. I simply will never order a Nitecore anything again, and I will inform anyone I know interested in their products to do the same.

Top Bottom