What's new

Technical questions.

Hello everyone! I'm transitioning from a mach three to a Merkur classic DE razor and there are a couple questions that I have yet to find answers to. First of all, I have about eight DE shaves under the belt. And I'm about to order a Tryphon sampler pack.

My first couple shaves were a really bad experience, however Mantic (the genius detective that he is), deduced that I was using the boxed Merkur sample blade with apparently is really dull. Following a change of blades my shaves significantly improved. However, it seems that I can't get by shaving under the jaw-line without cutting myself. The head of this DE razor is not conducive to shaving in tight angled areas. To further complicate things, the direction of hair growth in that area is awkward for such a razor. It seems that the only way I can get a close shave in that area is by using an aggressive angle which results in cuts. Even blade-buffing does not solve this problem. Should I be looking into a different shaped DE razor? Or will a differnt comb help with this problem? I'm currently using a classic Merkur that has a symmetrical head and closed comb/guard.
Question number two: I wear a goatee that is blended in with my mustache. Thus, I have three vertical facial hair lines. One on each side of the lip that blends in with the goatee and a third in the center that comes down from the middle bottom lip to the goatee ie.. (flavor saver). I have a hard time shaping that area with this type of razor. Is this just a natural limitation of a DE razor? With a Mach 3, the head is small enough where I can see what I'm doing, and it fits in that area easily.

Question number three: With a DE razor I feel like I've taken a few too many layers of skin off, and it seems to necessitate some type of after shave lotion to soothe that burning. In contrast, when I shave with a cartridge type of razor I never have that type of sensation and thus I don't require any type of after shave. Also, what recommendations can u give me regarding non scented types of aftershave lotions.

Question number four: Is there any way of maintaining a hot lather throughout one's shave (excluding a lather machine)? Is there any such thing as a heated shaving bowl, that can keep your lather nice and hot?

Question number five: Does a lather seem to make shaping of sideburns and other detailed areas more difficult because those areas are covered up by cream? Before using a brush style cream, I was using a non-lathering cream by Aveda that would lubricate adequately for a cartridge style system. However, it does not cut it with a DE razor.

Thanks for putting up with this boatload of questions. LOL

Let me be one of many to ask:

Are you using too much pressure? Only the weight of the razor head is needed. Even when people know this, watch mantic, and think they're not using pressure, they usually are. I did.

Angle. Some spots can be tricky, but DE can get them, technique and trusting it, and the blade, is the key.

Multiple passes? You won't get clean shaven in 1.

Welcome to B&B! I'll try and quickly answer as many as I can, then let the gurus and cheddars answer in detail with it's not 230am :tongue:

1: If I understand you correctly, you're having difficulty with the area right underneath your jaw. I am picturing the "tight angled areas" under your jaw as being similar to mine, in that when I look up, it enhances the jawline and the skin below the jaw "sucks" up into the face... creating a small indent that is indeed hard to shave. If this seems similar to what you're dealing with, my solution is to look DOWN when shaving that area, as that area sticks out as opposed to sucking up, making it easier to shave. The skin does go slack, but with a light touch you should not cut yourself. Additionally, I would lay off the blade buffing and other advanced techniques until you conquer the basics.

2: I am not familiar with this as I do not wear any facial hair, but possibly consider a mustache razor which is designed for this type of detailed work.

3: If your skin is feeling exceptionally raw, you either using too much pressure, too steep an angle, or a combination of both. Additionally, your blade may be too dull. There are many culprits, but I would guess pressure and angle are the most common causes of feeling like you're scraping skin. For an unscented aftershave, you can find Witch Hazel at any Walmart, drugstore, etc. Some brands smell like rubber to me, but they are generally accepted as a solid alternative to scented/mentholated aftershaves.

4: There is indeed a heated shaving bowl, it's called a scuttle! A scuttle is basically a bowl with a liner that you can fill with hot water to maintain warm lather during your shave. There are several vendors who make and sell scuttles, three of which are listed here http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Scuttle

5: If anything, I think the lather makes it easier to simply "draw" my sideburns... if I'm having trouble I will sometimes thin down the lather with a little more water to better see where I'm steering.

Hope this helps! Good luck and again, welcome to B&B! Ask away, there are now over 20,000 members here... the collective knowledge of which is overwhelmingly friendly and helpful. :smile:

Don't use a DE, so I can't help you with the first part.

Question number three: I prefer scented lotions, but you may want to try witch hazel. It comes in both scented and non-scented, and (personally) I find it soothing.

Question number four: Yes! There are a few ways.
There is a hillbilly scuttle, which I've not tried. Use a small bowl as a lather bowl and let it float in a sink (or larger bowl) of hot water
There are scuttles. The most popular potters are Sara Bonneyman with her Moss Scuttle, Dirty Bird, and Georgetown Pottery. They are all good. You can find reviews here if you look.
Some people have found small crock pots to use as lather bowls. Simply plug in, lather, a viola! Warm lather! Evidently, they can be found for <$10 at Target and such.
Any way you go, once you have warm lather, you won't go back.

Question number five: I simply use a reference points when I'm shaving. Once my sideburns have grown in, I can see them through the lather. Of course, I use a straight, so I can see exactly where the blade is cutting.

Keep the questions coming. I think most people here converted from cartridges, so we were there once, also.

I'll tag in an anwser the last 2 questions.

#4 Many of the users on here keep thier lather hot using a scuttle. A two chambered bowl where the bottom is filled with very hot water and lather s made on the top. There are a number of sites that you can order a hand made one on, or alot of users have found success with a simple self-watering flower pot.

#5 I have found sideburns and facial hair easier to maintain with a DE as the hair does not get caught up between the blades. Just watch your angle.

Don't use a DE, so I can't help you with the first part.

Question number three: I prefer scented lotions, but you may want to try witch hazel. It comes in both scented and non-scented, and (personally) I find it soothing.

Question number four: Yes! There are a few ways.
There is a hillbilly scuttle, which I've not tried. Use a small bowl as a lather bowl and let it float in a sink (or larger bowl) of hot water
There are scuttles. The most popular potters are Sara Bonneyman with her Moss Scuttle, Dirty Bird, and Georgetown Pottery. They are all good. You can find reviews here if you look.
Some people have found small crock pots to use as lather bowls. Simply plug in, lather, a viola! Warm lather! Evidently, they can be found for <$10 at Target and such.
Any way you go, once you have warm lather, you won't go back.

Question number five: I simply use a reference points when I'm shaving. Once my sideburns have grown in, I can see them through the lather. Of course, I use a straight, so I can see exactly where the blade is cutting.

Keep the questions coming. I think most people here converted from cartridges, so we were there once, also.

Quicker on the draw there than I was. :wink2:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

Q1: I think that you might be using too much pressure, as already advised. You whould be able to achieve a decent shave with your current razor.

Q2: When I shape my sideburns, I try to do shave at 90 degree or I will follow the line (not always follow the grain). If a DE is too big to do so, mustache razor might be the solution. I do think that you can get there without it...

Q3: I get that kind of sensation when I use pressure. If you want another aftershave, Nivea Sensitive is not unscented but close enough. Should do the trick

Q4: Poor man scuttle could be the way to go... Plastic container bigger than your bowl, filled with warm lather, put your bowl in...

Q5: I guess this becomes an habit as I do not really look when I shape the sideburns and I think they're even... When I'm not sure, I remove some lather with my index.

Hi, yes I am guilty of using a heavy hand. But I'm becoming more conscious about that. I'll take your word for it that I can get at those spots, and keep working on my technique. I've come to realize that I'm not going to get instant gratification from this style of shaving. In fact I'm so detail oriented that I may be sitting for a half hour behind the mirror to get everything just right. Perhaps OCD? LOL

This is a general thank you to everyone that mentioned the scuttle. Definitely going to look into that. Hand made does sound expensive though LOL. I'm sure I can attribute some of my shaving problems to a cold lather shave.

Gonna do the poor man's scuttle, till I get the Georgetown one. Looks like it wont break the bank. I saw a nice Schwarzweisskeramik and Truefitt & Hill Scuttle, but I'll have to hold off for the time being on something that fancy.

Gonna do the poor man's scuttle, till I get the Georgetown one. Looks like it wont break the bank. I saw a nice Schwarzweisskeramik and Truefitt & Hill Scuttle, but I'll have to hold off for the time being on something that fancy.

Got the small schwartzweisskeramik scuttle a couple of weeks ago and it combined with a Edwin Jagger silvertip that came in last week has definately added a touch of luxury to the experiance.

Last edited:
Having a square, angular jaw myself, I know what you mean about having trouble with getting the razor in just under your jawline. During my first two shaves I was taking the safety razor advice of "don't stretch your skin" so literally that I didn't use my hand for anything other than holding the razor. So a lot of stubble was being left under my jaw.

By shave three I figured the heck with it and started experimenting with gentle pulling of my skin...

I found that pulling up on my cheek just enough to move what was just under my jaw to just above it -- BUT no so much that the area is pulled absolutely skin tight -- makes it much easier to shave yet leaves enough slack in my skin for the razor to cut properly.

Same seems to hold true for a slight pull to one side, then the other, for my adam's apple, the back corners of my jaw, and the tip of my chin.

So long as you don't pull your skin totally taut and just enough to get at these areas it might work for you too. Worth a shot anyway - after all, you can't learn what works best for you if you don't experiment a little.

Oh, you may also want to try a more gentle angle too - particularly under the jaw and on the neck. I know it seems like more angle would be better for getting the tough, hard to reach stubble but for some odd reason less angle actually seems to work better.

Last edited:
I know I'm the kind of person that will eventually having an heirloom quality scuttle. I just love to see excellent craftspersonship LOL. And yes, that quite a unique scuttle you have there. Can't really determine its size, hopefully it holds enough water to keep things warm.

Top Bottom