What's new

Tech obsession

True. A Gillette Tech still in the box NOS can get a little pricey.
Even the ones that aren’t NOS that have the original box run higher than ones without the box. I think it’s because not nearly as many of the boxes have survived compared to the number of razors (goes for all razors in general not just techs)

I have a travel tech. Should I be concerned about it multiplying? I think maybe it’s to small. You know not old enough to reproduce. 😃
—————————————————
And then this next part happened.
—————————————————
I started reading about techs on B&B. Now I’m 👀 around at all of the tech options out there. Starting to think my travel tech needs a friend. Probably a grownup friend. Possibly a nice postwar ball end like the travel tech. Just with a longer handle.
I could just buy an inexpensive handle off of a well known web site. But it would not be a Gillette. I could buy a new King C Gillette razor and use the handle from that. But it wouldn’t be vintage.

Ok, now I have questions. Are all the ball end travel tech handles aluminum? I don’t know for sure if my travel handle is aluminum or brass. I think I would prefer a postwar all brass grownup ball end tech. Is there a way to tell?

True. A Gillette Tech still in the box NOS can get a little pricey.
My two NOS techs in boxes were landed on ebay under $20 in the last couple of years.
I keep the gold z4 ball end tech in my regular rotation, and it is 100% my go to for a quick efficient running late shave.
I also felt inspired to put a family photo together of my techs as well... then realized I left my travel tech kits out, and now realize the one in my door kit and one I'm refinishing for BST.
Most importantly, Psycho eye candy with an original key.
20210711_221054.jpg

20210711_221303.jpg

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I probably have 10 Techs and I just bought a flat bottom fat handle English hybrid Tech. I will say my favorite to shave with is a fat handle Tech.

The Hybrid Tech and Flat Bottom Tech are two different razors. Much different. The Hybrid is a raised flat bottom like the RFB NEW. Both great razors. One is more rare, valuable, and shaves better. 😎

My two NOS techs in boxes were landed on ebay under $20 in the last couple of years.
I keep the gold z4 ball end tech in my regular rotation, and it is 100% my go to for a quick efficient running late shave.
I also felt inspired to put a family photo together of my techs as well... then realized I left my travel tech kits out, and now realize the one in my door kit and one I'm refinishing for BST.
Most importantly, Psycho eye candy with an original key.
View attachment 1295385
View attachment 1295386
Beautiful collection

Ok, now I have questions. Are all the ball end travel tech handles aluminum? I don’t know for sure if my travel handle is aluminum or brass. I think I would prefer a postwar all brass grownup ball end tech. Is there a way to tell?
I don’t know if the travel handles are aluminum or not. I think the easiest way to check would be looking at the threads where the head screws into the handle. If there’s wear and it still has a silver look to it then I’d say it might be aluminum but if you see yellow or green (green being the brass oxidizing) then it’s brass. For the full size techs I’m pretty sure all pre 1964 production that are all metal that say “Made in USA” are all brass. I know there are some full size British techs that have have aluminum handles but I think those are mostly later production razors. If anyone has anymore information or corrections feel free to chime in

8325DC14-C768-48AD-BED7-F4732CA2FFDA.jpeg
My British spiral handle tech arrived today. Two days before the anticipated delivery date. Provided an excellent shave

Top Bottom