What's new

Taylor of Old Bond Street- Sandalwood Shaving Cream (Review)

After it was founded on the 1st of September in the year 1854 by Jeremiah Taylor, Taylor of Old Bond Street, then a hairdressing salon, took very little time to gain a reputation amongst the British gentry for its superior hair and scalp treatments, extracted from herbal and natural ingredients. Three generations and a hundred and sixty-three years later, the "Taylor Tradition" of balancing high-quality natural ingredients with refined sophistication remains as popular amongst wet shavers as ever. A few of their products may not perform as excellently as you expect, but the respect that the name "Taylor of Old Bond Street" commands in the shaving community is undeniable, and their Sandalwood shaving cream is, perhaps, the ultimate testament to their immense continued popularity over the decades, as it is not only unarguably the most well-known and popular TOBS product today, but also one of the highest-rated shaving creams in the world.
So, what must a shaving cream do to adequately fit the above bill? For a person like myself, whose primary intentions with buying a few of the TOBS creams were to experience some regal shaves and to see what the fuss is all about, it must, first and foremost, perform superbly (we will come to that shortly), and, if possible, provide some relaxation to the olfactory nerve. Regarding the latter, the general verdict is a bit confusing. While some say that it is one of the most wonderful aromas to have graced their nostrils, some argue that it is as deplorable as stinky feet. Make of that what you will. I also read a few people saying that it smells like old people, which is something beyond my comprehension, I suppose. Personally, I belong to neither of the two extremes, but quite like the scent, which smells to me a lot like a slightly enhanced version of natural sandalwood, coupled with floral notes. The scent could feel a bit overpowering at first, but it is not cloying, and gradually subsides.
We now arrive at the main event, viz. the performance. I had heard from most reviewers that it is a rich and slick cream, and I believe it will suffice to say that I was not disappointed. Some people have reported a burning sensation on their face after application of the lather, but I faced no such problem. The cream feels like a soft fluffy cloud on your face, and, while it is not the slickest cream I own, it is amply slick and protective. But, the highlight of the cream was, for me, the post-shave feel, which is truly wonderful. My face felt supple and moisturized for more than an hour after the shave, and without the use of an aftershave.
Overall, this is my favourite cream in the TOBS range so far in terms of performance, and I do believe that every new wet-shaver owes it to himself/herself to be a part of the "Taylor Tradition". Whether you like them or not is a different story; you must give them a fair chance first. And there is no better place to start than this wonderful 5.2 ounce tub of happiness.
Overall ratings (on a scale of 1-10):
Protection and cushion- 8.5
Slickness- 8.5
Ease of lathering- 8
Scent- 8
Value for money- 8.5
MEAN SCORE- 8.3/10

Nice review although I question the ease of lathering as an 8? Having used a brush and soaps for 25 years please tell me a cream that lathers easier with more slickness? I'm not being confrontational just haven't used every soap on the market and would love to know. I have slowly collected each and every soap they offer and find them all to be top notch and similar in performance.

Nice review although I question the ease of lathering as an 8? Having used a brush and soaps for 25 years please tell me a cream that lathers easier with more slickness? I'm not being confrontational just haven't used every soap on the market and would love to know. I have slowly collected each and every soap they offer and find them all to be top notch and similar in performance.
Thank you for your reply, sir. You see, it may be a very personal observation, but I have noticed that the amount of water which I normally use with my other creams and soaps is too much for TOBS creams. After a string of dry shaves with the Jermyn Street, I discovered, mostly by trial-and-error, that the way to get a moderately slick lather from the TOBS creams is to load the cream from the tub and reduce the amount of water in both the shaving bowl and the brush. Using that method, the Jermyn Street performed slightly better, the Grapefruit performed quite well, and the Sandalwood performed the best out of the three. While a thick lather is still quite easy to create, I have to take a bit of time to take out a lot of water from both the bowl and the brush, and consequently, it does take a bit more effort to create a slick and non-aerated lather from the TOBS creams than most the other creams which I own. Hence, the 8/10. I hope that answers your question. :001_smile

Thank you for your reply, sir. You see, it may be a very personal observation, but I have noticed that the amount of water which I normally use with my other creams and soaps is too much for TOBS creams. After a string of dry shaves with the Jermyn Street, I discovered, mostly by trial-and-error, that the way to get a moderately slick lather from the TOBS creams is to load the cream from the tub and reduce the amount of water in both the shaving bowl and the brush. Using that method, the Jermyn Street performed slightly better, the Grapefruit performed quite well, and the Sandalwood performed the best out of the three. While a thick lather is still quite easy to create, I have to take a bit of time to take out a lot of water from both the bowl and the brush, and consequently, it does take a bit more effort to create a slick and non-aerated lather from the TOBS creams than most the other creams which I own. Hence, the 8/10. I hope that answers your question. :001_smile
Understood. I use tobs the same way I use anything else which is face lather. I just take a damp boar brush, lightly swirl a couple times as it doesn't take much pressure or product. I then apply to the face and quickly pass the brush under a running faucet as needed until it explodes. I can't say I've ever had it runny with that method. You need to try the St James collection if you haven't already.

Thanks for the review. IMO, TOBS Sandalwood is a classic that everyone should at least try, if not make a staple in their shave den.

Thanks for the review. IMO, TOBS Sandalwood is a classic that everyone should at least try, if not make a staple in their shave den.
^This

Have tried many interpretations of SW (those by AoS, PR, GFT, T&H, Salter, etc.), but, for me, the TOBS and DRH SWs are the most appealing.

The TOBS Sandalwood soap is one of my favorites as well. The TOBS Sandalwood was my first cream and is still one of my favorites.

TOBS Sandalwood is an all time classic and the first cream that got me addicted to wetshaving. It was the gateway drug of wetshaving for me. I will always have a tub or two around. The scent will take you back in time to the 1800's. Great stuff!! Really love TOBS Peppermint, Grapefruit, Lavender and Avocado as well!!

A nice and entertaining review!:) Well written.:) I enjoyed it! So much so, it reminded me to break out my Taylor of Old Bond Street Eaton College Shaving Cream for the AM shave!:)

I think the TOBS Sandalwood is the first cream for many shavers' entry into real wetshaving. It's a great company/product line and the Sandalwood is their signature scent. Also, try the soap and super-lather the two!

Off the sandalwood review but the lemon lime followed by a healthy dose of clubman lime sec was the choice of today. Just fantastic.

Disagree with Ease of lathering - 8

I use Proraso and TOBS creams, Sandalwood being one of the TOBS.

I always use the exact same amount of product and water for both brands. An unshelled almond size of product and a synthetic brush soaked with water then lightly squeezed, all done in a bowl.

The TOBS Sandalwood always springs to a rich lather quicker than any of my other creams...surprisingly quick!

My score:
Ease of lathering - 10

Last edited:
I recently started using TOBS Sandalwood as I received a tube of it in a purchased lot. I found it to be harder to get the same creaminess and protection than I get with TOBS Eton College or the T&H products. However, all my other creams I have in tubs, so I'm not sure if the cream in the tube is a but different. I like the smell however and will continue to use the product, and then buy a tub to see if that makes a difference.

Love TOBS, not a fan of the sandalwood scent. Never have found on I liked. One of the few scents I don't like much. TOBS always performs though

I last bought a tub of this in 2011 (I know because I was just at Amazon to make a new order of it). I've read that it's different now than it was then. I'll find out next week but I hope the fragrance is the same. Doesn't smell anything like other sandalwood products but I find that a good thing.

Top Bottom