What's new

taylor of old bond street from cream to CROAP?

I have a tub of tobs peppermint and royal forest and they are not creams anymore. They are harder croaps. They lather better to me when they are a croap versus a cream. I was wondering how long does it take for tobs creams to transform from a cream to a CROAP? should I just leave them out in the open without the top on to let them air dry? do you guys like them better as creams or croaps? I like that I don't have to dip my finger in to take any out when they become a croap. do all tobs creams do this eventually when left out for a while? become croaps? do you like tobs better as creams or when they become croaps or it doesn't matter to you?

do you like tobs better as creams or when they become croaps or it doesn't matter to you?
I've got a sandalwood that is hard as a puck, loads great. Last forever, great lather. What's not to love. It's my only TOBS. But the same thing is happening to my Art of Shaving cream and I say, okay.

I once effed up a tin of the excellent Executive Shaving Citrus Kiss shaving cream by dipping a wet brush in it. I went through a number of cycles of drying it out and adding extra water.

To be honest it didn't make a whole lot of difference. It was still far easier to lather than a hard soap. You just need to learn to control the amount of water you load on your brush, if you're bowl lathering. I think I've pretty much got that down now. I now keep wet fingers and brushes well away from my shaving creams and I always keep the lids on tight.

I've got a sandalwood that is hard as a puck, loads great. Last forever, great lather. What's not to love. It's my only TOBS. But the same thing is happening to my Art of Shaving cream and I say, okay.
yeah, I also had a sandalwood that turned to a croap as well. the question is how long does it take for them to turn from a cream to a croap? I like lathering them better when they are a croap. just leave it out without the lid to air dry and make it turn to a croap?

If you have the patience for it, you can try this dude's lather method for soft soaps and see if it works. He gets a good sheen without much bubbles

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I do not use TOBS creams, or any creams, any more but when I did I found that leaving the tubs opened so that they dried out improved them no end. I had a vintage Yardley cream in a tube that was so old it had solidified inside the tube and I had to cut the tube open to get it out. I pressed the solid cream into a mug to form it into a puck and it is superb as a hard soap.

1661432116342.png

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Almost all tub creams will eventually desiccate into a croap or harder unless you maintain the moisture, which is a kind of a cream geek thing, but then that’s why you’re here. I keep a mister bottle filled with distilled water that I use for many purposes, but if a tub cream starts to get thicker than I want, just mist it every use until it loosens up.

The most extreme example was the I Coloniali Mango Oil ‘cream’. This is the puck, not the Rhubarb cream, which actually was a cream.

In its sealed pouch, it feels, and is moldable, but it’s a stiff croap and not a cream. Once it’s out in the wild, if you don’t use it every day, it rapidly hardens into a substance that can scratch diamonds, lol.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
They should take the Italian route and manufacture like Proraso: soft shaving creams housed only into tubes (in which they remain so) and croaps housed only into tubs.

It seems to happen to some but not to others. My tub of Sandalwood has gotten croapy, but my tub of Royal Forest has not and they're both the same age and I use them the same. When they go croap, it just takes a little more time to get them to fully lather up but no where near as long as messing with a soap puck.

If it bothers you, Marco's comment about getting the cream in tubes might be the ticket for you. Last time I looked, TOBS offers all their creams in a tube.

Top Bottom