What's new

Tam O'Shanter Hones

there's a lot of odd-ball shape/size Tam O's out there, some are very long and thin - stick-like things.
They, and WOA stone, were used a lot for polishing metals, jewlery, electronics connections, watchmaking/repair and clockmaking too.
Rick's stone above reminds of another one someone made a buncha years ago...forget who it was though. It's a great work around to score a barber hone sized slab. They used to be more common, like everything else I guess.
I'm actually in 'need' (more of a want actually) of a TOS slurry stone at the moment, had one, can't find it.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I'm actually in 'need' (more of a want actually) of a TOS slurry stone at the moment, had one, can't find it.
I’ll cut you a piece off this one if it’s not too small. It’s 1/2”x1/2” and I can make it about 2.5 long. Say the word and it’s in the mail.
272BA42F-E7C7-453E-A715-73FF8DE89696.jpeg

Got these little nuggets in today. I am looking forward to see how they do on the axes. I also am interested to see if they are really any different that the other Tams of this same color. Also got a few small pieces and a stick thrown in. The stick is the smallest I have ever seen. I have one of the half inch ones and this is way smaller 1/4 inch which is why it was probably broke long ago.

Tamaxestones.jpeg

Got these little nuggets in today. I am looking forward to see how they do on the axes. I also am interested to see if they are really any different that the other Tams of this same color. Also got a few small pieces and a stick thrown in. The stick is the smallest I have ever seen. I have one of the half inch ones and this is way smaller 1/4 inch which is why it was probably broke long ago.

View attachment 1555634
I almost put one on my hatchet yesterday but I stuck with coticules.

I almost put one on my hatchet yesterday but I stuck with coticules.
I have used some of mine on the axes and they work wonderful. They remove the scratches and shine them up while leaving a nice final edge. I want to see if these ones labeled axe stones are any different courser of faster, or are they just a different label. Plus now I have some small ones to use just for axes now.

My Tam O’ Shanters arrived yesterday. They are pretty small 1X1X5, but for a touch up hone they work perfectly. Pretty little stones when wet. Last night I polished up the edge of a pairing knife with a little pressure and was surprised how quickly the stone produced swarf. So, that told me it was pretty fast and then with light pressure finishing laps, it took on a very fine edge(fairly fine).
This morning, I touched up my Red Imp 133 which was really needing an edge refresh. It went from not passing HHT or packing peanut test to passing both easily after about 12 very light laps. At about 5 laps it got pretty sticky and at about 10 under running water it was stuck hard to the stone. Shave test this afternoon we’ll tell the tale. I have a bunch more stones to test before I play with this one for a while, so we’ll see.
1668528618985.png

I have a small stack of the 1x1x5 stones. Anyone else see a red hue in theirs? I have 2 or 3 that a swear look red.
It's from the labels. I have one that bleeds particularly bad and after using it every place on my palm that touched the label looks like a crime scene. My wife keeps forgetting to buy clear coat nail polish.

It's from the labels. I have one that bleeds particularly bad and after using it every place on my palm that touched the label looks like a crime scene. My wife keeps forgetting to buy clear coat nail polish.
I sealed the labels, then lapped them. Did jot notice the coloring until lapped. Will try to get a picture tomorrow

Learned something new about Tam O's, surface prep matters. I roughed this white one up to 220# and it took no time to erase the bbw scratches and polish. Left a very aggressive edge on my pocket knife. I could feel the moment the surface went from knife finisher>razor finisher. I haven't used them a ton as finishing stones but as slurry stones. The more I finish on them the more I like them.
20221129_214407.jpg

Probably should have done a side by side with another one but should be able to see the red hue. And of course i had to use it.

Attachments

• 20221130_193445.jpg
    20221130_193445.jpg
    922.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 20221130_193733.jpg
    20221130_193733.jpg
    900.7 KB · Views: 13
Probably should have done a side by side with another one but should be able to see the red hue. And of course i had to use it.
I see what you mean! Wow! I bet it's iron oxide mixed into the matrix. You should do a test and see if the red one polishes closer to mirror than the white(not checking sharpness but the polish), if it does then I'd bet it's iron oxide. I have a theory that's why my reddish washitas get a bevel closer to a hard ark polish vs a white one which is hazier.

Top Bottom