What's new

Tam O'Shanter Hones

I recently ran into a guy who was trying to move a TON of Tam O'Shanter Hones. I know some guys use them but they don't get a lot of discussion because they seem to be a more "rare," stone at least to me. Also, I'm sure all of these stones are different with some being wonderful finishers and some pre-finishers. I did end up buying a two of the stones, 1 has a label and one does not, both of them are 1in X 1in X 5in. I was planning on using one as a tomo to see how it worked on my Arks/ Jnats.

What are your experiences with them?

The Seller said they were bought at an estate sale and he stated: "They came from an estate sale. The family owned a printing company back in the 50s/60s . I’m told they where used to dress metal type face."

This is so interesting, I wouldn't have thought this would be a use for these stones. They are natural polishers, so I'd say its as good a use for them as any other.

1668007566167.png

1668007628187.png

1668007678718.png

I tried to use a slurry and imo it set the edge back. Just plain water gives a pretty nice comfortable edge.

I glued two together to get a nice 2x5 barbers size stone.
Meaning you flattened the sides, then epoxied them together and then flattened the top? Man, maybe I should have bought three of them lol

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I tried to use a slurry and imo it set the edge back. Just plain water gives a pretty nice comfortable edge.

I glued two together to get a nice 2x5 barbers size stone.
We’ve gotta see a pic of that, Rick.

Legion

Staff member
I got one a month or two back, as an educated guess off ebay, and mine is definitely a finisher. I've been very much enjoying the edge off it.

Mine is 1.5x5.5", but I think it was originally 7" long, and got cut down for whatever reason.

I recently ran into a guy who was trying to move a TON of Tam O'Shanter Hones. I know some guys use them but they don't get a lot of discussion because they seem to be a more "rare," stone at least to me. Also, I'm sure all of these stones are different with some being wonderful finishers and some pre-finishers. I did end up buying a two of the stones, 1 has a label and one does not, both of them are 1in X 1in X 5in. I was planning on using one as a tomo to see how it worked on my Arks/ Jnats.

The Seller said they were bought at an estate sale and he stated: "They came from an estate sale. The family owned a printing company back in the 50s/60s . I’m told they where used to dress metal type face."

This is so interesting, I wouldn't have thought this would be a use for these stones. They are natural polishers, so I'd say its as good a use for them as any other.

View attachment 1554089

View attachment 1554095
View attachment 1554097
My coarser ones still can finish a razor well with a light touch. The white ones put a brilliant, durable edge on razors. They are also fantastic knife stones but where they really shine with knives is if you use a Tam slurry on a fine piece of novaculite to finish. It leaves micro serrations and will polish to a beautiful (pretty) hazy mirror. The slurry goes fast too. Every one I have is a spectacular stone and the two I over paid for I don't regret buying for a second. I have 2 white ones I think came from this lot. One with label one without.

I bought two from the same seller, and even with the cost of postage to the UK they were a good deal. I have only used them twice, once as a straight finisher and the second time I reduced the laps and then finished on red boxed yellow lake stone which again gave me a superb edge.

Legion

Staff member

View attachment 1554089

View attachment 1554095
View attachment 1554097
Imagine going to an estate sale and seeing that.

I count just shy of 300 on that table. I don't know what he is selling them for (maybe one of you buyers can PM me), but whatever way you look at it, that is a bit of coin.

Last edited:
Imagine going to an estate sale and seeing that.

I count just shy of 300 on that table. I don't know what he is selling them for (maybe one of you buyers can PM me), but whatever way you look at it, that is a bit of coin.
The guy told me if he told me what he paid for them, he'd blush.... I'm guessing he got them for crazy cheap...

Top Bottom