What's new

Tally Ho

Found this on EPay:
proxy.php

Took a chance on it for $12.67

It arrived like this:
proxy.php

Not being the kind to leave well enough alone, and having a love of thumbnotches and such.....
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

A radical change for the Tally Ho after 150 years or so...a very nice heavy wedge with a new and exciting outline.

WOW! Great work! Gave it a wonderful new personality. I've got to try out a razor with a thumb notch some time...looks like I'd enjoy it a lot.

Beautiful work! I'd say that was a chance worth taking. :biggrin:

The blade was originally a spike point and you changed it to a round point. How much shorter is the blade?

Beautiful work! I'd say that was a chance worth taking. :biggrin:

The blade was originally a spike point and you changed it to a round point. How much shorter is the blade?

I was trying for a bit more of a French point, but maybe I didn't quite tilt it enough? Perhaps it's a Belgian point or something?:lol: Anyhow, I like it like it is.

The blade was not really shortened by much at all. It is extremely difficult to remove material, so I essentially just rounded off the edges to shape the toe, perhaps losing 1/16" in the process?

well that one will be fetching a pretty penny in the bst eventually

I'm not planning on letting this one go. I really like the heft and the lines of it. Being a Sheffield blade I imagine it should shave pretty well to boot!

Now, if someone makes me "an offer I can't refuse", well......:001_rolle

Looks great!

Made me run upstairs and demand of my straights "why don't any of you have a classy thumb notch?" ... bunch of underachievers.

Looks great!

Made me run upstairs and demand of my straights "why don't any of you have a classy thumb notch?" ... bunch of underachievers.

:lol:

Donavon,

Just because you were in Africa and there's a black president now, whose father was African, doesn't mean you can get all presidential on your straight razors. :lol:

that is an awesome redone design - I love the new lines, especially the curves and thumbnotch! Great eye and imagination!

This thing was a bear to hone.

150 years of guys rounding over the edge when touch-up honing it really did a number on it. I spent a couple hours on the 1200 diamond with two layers of tape to finally whip it into line. It has a damn impressive bevel on it now!

I think I'll reset the bevel again and use only one layer, as the razor did not feel like the edge was being stropped....

Regardless, this old Champ has still got guts...smooth, Sheffield shave!

Re-bevel and re-scale in the works...

Wow, if only I had the patience and ability to put that much time and effort into something, I might have been able to do wonderful things...:lol: AWESOME restoration.

:lol:

Donavon,

Just because you were in Africa and there's a black president now, whose father was African, doesn't mean you can get all presidential on your straight razors. :lol:

Ya, well I'm doing tax audits on all of the ones in my bathroom cabinet today.:mad3:

Last edited:

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Tally Ho indeed! Wonderful job Craig! Your work is a testament to how basically beautiful these tools have the potential to become.

Top Bottom