What's new

Talc

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Thoughts about talc? Who’s using it? How? Why? Favourite brand? My only real experience was at the barber shop as a boy when the barber brushed it on to the back of my neck after a haircut. I thought about it today after applying some Clubman AS, similar fragrance as I recall. Curious about talc. Plus I think I just like saying “talc”.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I often use a little talc on my face a few minutes after applying aftershave. Vintage talc is cheap and easy to find so I try to match them with the aftershave. I use Shulton Old Spice, Goya Cedarwood, Gillette Spruce, and Hai Karate talcs, with a few more on the way. To be honest other than the scent I get no real benefit in terms of the shave from using talc, but I do enjoy trying to find vintage talcs and it is an inexpensive pastime.

I'll let you read between the lines here as I want to stay gentlemanly.

Talc is crucial but not related to shaving at all.

Gold Bond or nothing!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Same.

But there’s nothing wrong with fellas discussing chafing. It is an issue that affects many of us. There should be some kind of foundation or telethon for the pain and suffering caused by chafing. 🤪

I dust it on for two reasons. First, nostalgia for the old barbershop days. They would shave my neck and sidewalls with a straight razor and the apply aftershave. The final treatment was whisking off the cut hair with a brush and talc. I like to recreate that sensation. Second, I think it helps take the shine off my bald pate. Right now I am using Imperial Leather, but Clubman works well for me also.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Same.

But there’s nothing wrong with fellas discussing chafing. It is an issue that affects many of us. There should be some kind of foundation or telethon for the pain and suffering caused by chafing. 🤪
I dust it on for two reasons. First, nostalgia for the old barbershop days. They would shave my neck and sidewalls with a straight razor and the apply aftershave. The final treatment was whisking off the cut hair with a brush and talc. I like to recreate that sensation. Second, I think it helps take the shine off my bald pate. Right now I am using Imperial Leather, but Clubman works well for me also.
I have gotta say, I have never considered addressing my chafing issues at a barbershop, I think it would be too awkward. To each his own! :c9: :c1:

I've never used Talc after a shave, I've only had it used on my neck after a haircut at the Barbershop.

After applying a balm or an aftershave, what are the benefits of Talc on the face?

EclipseRedRing

I've never used Talc after a shave, I've only had it used on my neck after a haircut at the Barbershop.

After applying a balm or an aftershave, what are the benefits of Talc on the face?
For me there is no real benefit in terms of skin care or conditioning. I simply like the smell and enjoy the process, which is reason enough to do it, but it is not really necessary.

I've been using Imperial Leather, which is real talc. Most of the "body powders" for sale nowadays are imposters made with cornstarch. Mainly use it for at-home haircuts after shaving the back of the neck. I use a tall-lofted boar brush to apply it. Provides that "old barbershop" feeling.

Of course, this powder can be used for "keeping fresh", too. It is fine for that, though it has a bit of an old-fashioned scent, it is not too strong.

When a person applies talcum powder, particles of talc enter into the air and become easy to breathe in. According to the CDC, some studies show an increased risk of respiratory diseases in people with long-term exposure to talc.

When a person applies talcum powder, particles of talc enter into the air and become easy to breathe in. According to the CDC, some studies show an increased risk of respiratory diseases in people with long-term exposure to talc.
For people that have occupational exposure, hours at a time every day, that might be an issue. Females may have potential issues with talc due to anatomical differences.

I often use a little talc on my face a few minutes after applying aftershave. Vintage talc is cheap and easy to find so I try to match them with the aftershave. I use Shulton Old Spice, Goya Cedarwood, Gillette Spruce, and Hai Karate talcs, with a few more on the way. To be honest other than the scent I get no real benefit in terms of the shave from using talc, but I do enjoy trying to find vintage talcs and it is an inexpensive pastime.
I really hope with vintage you mean a certain kind and not old talc.
As there is a much higher chance of it being contaminated with asbestos if that is the case.

EclipseRedRing

I really hope with vintage you mean a certain kind and not old talc.
As there is a much higher chance of it being contaminated with asbestos if that is the case.
No I mean old talc from the 60s, 70s, and 80s. I am already very well aware of the safety concerns as they have been much discussed on B&B and elsewhere. I am rubbing a few grains of powder between my palms and applying to my face a couple of times a week, not inhaling clouds of talc or consuming it at dinner time. Nevertheless you make a good point 👍

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Who doesn’t like saying talc! I too remember the barber applying it. I have clubman talc for use on the nether regions. I don’t use it after shaving. I also discovered snake brand Prickly heat powder from a review on B&B awhile ago and recommended that highly.
I read about the health issues related to talc last year and looked again now. J&J has apparently discontinued talc based baby powder not because of jury verdicts related to cancer but because of COVID (lol ok right)

Last edited:
I apply the Clubman talc to cheeks and throat after a shave if I am not dashing out the door, and I'm usually not that rushed. It may soothe potential irritation but I just like the super-smooth way it makes my face feel.

Hating to waste the Clubman, I use Gold Bond powder or the Dollar Tree versions of same for other, uh, "chafe-able" regions.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Most of the "body powders" for sale nowadays are imposters made with cornstarch.

That’s what I use! My favorites are from Walmart and Johnson & Johnson with lavender scent. I make sure to thoroughly towel dry so as not to become a human-polenta cyborg.

You caught the essence of the barbershop in my home town!

I remember those days: haircut, lather sides and neck, SR, Pinaud clubman, then talc! :a29:

I love it. I alternate between King Talc and Clubman Classic. I don’t use it for shaving, but rather down under as well as my work boots occasionally.

I don't use talc. My wife has a small gold bond that gets used extremely sparingly in her shoes. Talc freaks me out given all documented lung cancer cases as a result of its use. A close relative of mine passed away from lung cancer- never smoked a cigarette in her life but was a daily talcum powder user for much of her life. I see no reason at all to ever use talc given the lung cancer risks associated with it.

Top Bottom