What's new

Tabac stick every day ... too much lather!!

My usual soap rotation is swift. A different soap from the inventory calls to me each day.

Lately, using my Tabac stick almost every day has 'bloomed' it. I keep trying to put less on my face, but every day I am flushing soap and lather at the end of the shave. I may end up just waving it under my nose, then shaving with the lathered fumes.

I did not have this issue with Arko August. Is Tabac uniquely hydrophilic? With a bowl of Tabac, would I be barely touching the bristles to the soap, then shaving three passes?

This could even make Tabac cost$ close to Arko cost$ on a per shave basis.

Tabac is a great soap with a fantastic scent. Shave sticks do tend to create a ton of lather, perhaps try using less and less soap to figure out the correct amount, although with a stick this may be easier said than done.

Tabac is one of those soaps that just explodes from nothing. In my early days of using it, I didn’t get the hype as I always thought it was too “sticky”. Then one day, I didn’t load enough (or so I thought) and then what appeared was greased lightning that left my face soft and smooth all day long. Tabac is very hard to drown with water.

When I use the stick I just rub it on my chin, 1/2 of each cheek, and a little on my neck and that’s it, plenty of perfect lather for 2 passes and touch-ups!

Is this a complaint?? To me, it sounds like high praise!! :a29:

Tabac is a classic!

Not a complaint! I think I need to leave the cap off for drying and follow this advice as well!

perhaps try using less and less soap to figure out the correct amount, although with a stick this may be easier said than done.

Then I began only rubbing the stick on one side of my face.

When I use the stick I just rub it on my chin, 1/2 of each cheek, and a little on my neck and that’s it

I'll get there. It comes down to "Use less, dummy!". I'm trying, I'm trying! The Tabac stick is a hefty, wide bodied devil, I will have plenty of shaves to get it dialed in/down.

I am more used to keeping my other (non-Arko) shave sticks handy during the shave for re-application when needed. They all look so skinny now! (Looking at you, Palmolive, La Toja, LEA...)

Not a complaint! I think I need to leave the cap off for drying and follow this advice as well!

I'll get there. It comes down to "Use less, dummy!". I'm trying, I'm trying! The Tabac stick is a hefty, wide bodied devil, I will have plenty of shaves to get it dialed in/down.

I am more used to keeping my other (non-Arko) shave sticks handy during the shave for re-application when needed. They all look so skinny now! (Looking at you, Palmolive, La Toja, LEA...)

If you're used to applying it everywhere you shave, just apply it to your chin and the area directly surrounding it instead and stop there. Plenty!

The protocol today: I let the stick dry uncapped between shaves. Wetted face, but not the stick. Quick swipe across neck and a very short swipe on each cheek. Hybrid lather for two passes - build on face, then make wetter lather in my bowl to layer on top.

And I still had enough that I could have done easily done three full passes. But not so much that I felt bad rinsing out the bowl. I'm getting there.

O great! Thanks @Tanuki. That’s all I need, more shave soap. And not only that, but one that lasts forever. :lemo: Ok, so what do you think about the scent. Maybe that will stop me from buying it. (Fingers crossed)

Ok, so what do you think about the scent.

To me, it is unassertive and traditionally soapy. It is not some scent forward artisanal, but I think it fits very well among my traditional American soap pucks, classic European shave sticks, and lightly scented RazoRock triple milled pucks.

I don’t get the ‘old lady’ scent. I think it just smells soapy. It’s also unassuming, so easy to use other fragrances over it.

I don’t get the ‘old lady’ scent. I think it just smells soapy. It’s also unassuming, so easy to use other fragrances over it.
I do get the "Grandma's purse" scent -- or I should say I did get it when I first opened and used my Tabac stick. After my first shave it left a kind of "aftertaste" that I was aware of all day. Now it has faded enough in aroma that I have to sniff it deeply to get that scent.

I liked it even when it was strong. And the performance (I used it today) is great.

220 shaves later this is what’s left of a Tabac Stick.Great soap!
52FAE329-30AE-40E9-B90B-1DBCDD8E2A36.jpeg

I do get the "Grandma's purse" scent -- or I should say I did get it when I first opened and used my Tabac stick. After my first shave it left a kind of "aftertaste" that I was aware of all day. Now it has faded enough in aroma that I have to sniff it deeply to get that scent.

I liked it even when it was strong. And the performance (I used it today) is great.
If you put your nose up to an open bottle of Chanel No. 5 full strength perfume (not watered down eau de cologne) you might be surprised at how unpleasant the too-strong aroma can be. That to me is the sensation of peeling off the gold foil and putting one's nose up to a new Tabac. Unfortunately, even when women used such perfumes properly and sparingly, they had the unfortunate habit of accumulating in textiles not frequently laundered or dry cleaned, like fur and other winter coats, or, as you say, purses. The wealthiest women had huge wardrobes and spent winters in Palm Beach or Cannes, but for the rest, this "old lady" aroma could be an issue. Today's young women seem to have wised up about this problem. And imo it isn't really a problem for shavers, because the aroma of Tabac and most other strong smelling soaps I've encountered seems to fade pretty fast.

Top Bottom