What's new

Tabac scent

If you ask me, I say it smells like an old man. If you ask SWMBO, she'd say it's definitely of the old dead man variety. :lol:

I've not yet gotten the scent to grow on me.

When I first opened my Tabac I could smell EXACTLY what everyone who says Tabac smells like S*** was talking about, it was a very strange odor but, at the same time I could also smell EXACTLY what everyone who says Tabac smells awesome was talking about. It is probably one of the most unique smelling ANYTHING that I have experienced.

Now that I have been using it for several weeks, I don't know if the scent has changed or if I have gotten used to it or what but, I FREAKIN LOVE IT and it is one of the best soaps that I have tried thus far.

Interesting that "Carnation" is illustrated with a picture of cloves.

It's because carnations smell like cloves. I don't think the fluorescent dyed ones you get at the supermarkets really have much smell but the real deal smells like cloves. Carnation essential oil is mostly eugenol which is the main component of clove oil...

It's because carnations smell like cloves.

Also, I believe that their names are closer in German than in English (nelke/gewürtznelke). The certainly are in Swedish (nejlika/kryddnejlika).

It has been stated multiple times that there's no tobacco in Tabac, but it still somehow reminds me of pipe smoke. Is it possible that it is actually the other way around; that some brand of pipe tobacco is flavoured with something that's also in Tabac?

Are you in the DFW area? Only reason I ask is the only time I hear that phrase is when I am listening to sport radio 1310 the Ticket.
No, in fact I live about 8000 km further away. But I did pick it up from someone who must've lived there for a few years. So there you go.

There are NO tobacco notes in Tabac.

Tabac is the name of the product. They could have called it Joseph or Sputnik. You won't find any piece of Sputnik in it, nor any Joseph juice in it. Tabac is just a name.

I think people are misled by the name. I often hear comments from people who don't like it that it "smells like an ashtray." I don't like the smell, but it just smells like cheap cologne to me. No tobacco note at all. I kind of wonder if the name is meant to evoke the French Tabac shop, which sells tobacco, newspapers, etc (not sure about grooming supplies)

It has been stated multiple times that there's no tobacco in Tabac, but it still somehow reminds me of pipe smoke. Is it possible that it is actually the other way around; that some brand of pipe tobacco is flavoured with something that's also in Tabac?
It is possible. There are dozens of flavors added to pipe tobacco, though apart from straight booze, I don't know why you would do that to perfectly good tobacco.

instead of starting another thread let me ask here:

my purchase of tabac was without the container. i re-milled it into an open ceramic bowl--actual picture:

proxy.php

since the, it seems to have lost a lot of its scent and i can barely detect a smell in the lather. is it possible for the fragrance to have evaporated? does thin mean soaps in mugs are a bad idea too? all my other soaps have some kind of lid--the MWF is loose fitting, but nothing has faded there.

v.

my purchase of tabac was without the container. i re-milled it into an open ceramic bowl--actual picture:

proxy.php

since the, it seems to have lost a lot of its scent and i can barely detect a smell in the lather. is it possible for the fragrance to have evaporated? does thin mean soaps in mugs are a bad idea too? all my other soaps have some kind of lid--the MWF is loose fitting, but nothing has faded there.

v.

Well if you wanted to get rid of the scent on purpose, grating it and then leaving it uncovered would do a pretty good job at that. The only thing you didn't do was heat it.

Well if you wanted to get rid of the scent on purpose, grating it and then leaving it uncovered would do a pretty good job at that. The only thing you didn't do was heat it.

i can assure you this was based on some bad advice from a senior B&B member who doesn't care for lids. as for grating, the MWF didn't seem to mind. i suspect the lid is the main factor.

OK, i will re-order the real thing. the question now is what to do with the exposed soap--a PIF would seem cruel.

v.

noctilux,

Have you tried using the tabac post-"scent loss"? I find that in my semi-covered arlington the scent appears to be "gone" on first whiff but when I rewet it to use it, the smell is still strong.

Have you tried using the tabac post-"scent loss"? I find that in my semi-covered arlington the scent appears to be "gone" on first whiff but when I rewet it to use it, the smell is still strong.

yes, i have been using it and the scent fades to something rather imperceptible in the lather. i suppose the only solution is to order another, in bowl this time, and see how that works out. i will not be happy if the same thing happens.

v.

v.

I think that milling it caused some of the scent to dissipate.

yes, i have been using it and the scent fades to something rather imperceptible in the lather. i suppose the only solution is to order another, in bowl this time, and see how that works out. i will not be happy if the same thing happens.

v.

Something to try: zap it in the microwave for 10 seconds, add some Tabac AS to it, then let it cool. Not much to lose at this point.

proxy.php

v.

I have several soaps I have grated and placed in custard bowls (anchor hocking)...what you want to do is to store the bowl upside down, that will retain the scent

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

I think maurer & wirtz were messing with peoples' heads. There's no tobacco note in it! they list the notes in the stuff on the webpage in a big fancy flash presentation...its not like they forgot to include the tobacco in the slideshow. Tabac is the name of a whole line of their grooming products. They have Tabac original, tabac man, tabac silver, all smell different and none smell like tobacco. If you read the history it doesn't make any sense. The original tabac cologne was developed by Arturo Jordi-Pey in 1959, some people have guessed he was trying to recreate the scent of the tobacco plant. Which sounds nice but the Tabac original soap was introduced in 1938 almost 20 years before the colognes and aftershaves were developed. What I suspect is the 1938 soap DID smell like tobacco and then in 1959 when maurer and wirtz hired Arturo Jordi-Pey to make a cologne for their tabac line they had to retrofit the tabac soap with the smell of the new cologne so everything would be consistent....

Top Bottom