What's new

Tabac scent

I was never able to come up with a descent description of the very distinctive scent of Tabac. Seemed like a combo of various scents that I couldn't discern.

Went to C&E to see what all the fuss was about for the Nomad scent. (Hated it actually), but while I was there sampled the Sienna and Sandalwood. Boom. Tabac is sandalwood? Not identical, but clearly have a similar base.

I don't know if the aftershave is different, but I tried the EDT today and found it horrible. Now about 10 hours later what's left smell quite good actually, but when fresh, ewwwww.

I don't know if the aftershave is different, but I tried the EDT today and found it horrible. Now about 10 hours later what's left smell quite good actually, but when fresh, ewwwww.
I have never tried the EdT, but everything I've read says that it is noticeably different from the EdC.

I have never tried the EdT, but everything I've read says that it is noticeably different from the EdC.

Cool, actually I quite like the scent that's left now, so I'm not writing off Tabac yet, I have a tub of the shaving soap coming, and I'll check out the deodorant my local store got in stock.

Petitgrain? Seriously? Does anyone even know what that is? (I don't mean "able to use Google", but actually KNOW what that is?)

Last time I smelled a Carnation it doesn't have a scent... perhaps they mean the instant milk...

I couldn't tell you what 7 of the 13 things listed smell like..

Can't say I ever picked up on the Sandalwood notes in Tabac. I think that I notice notes from the........... actually I don't know. This thread isn't helping. It smells like shave:tongue_sm

Got a tub of the soap in front of me and what I (<- read this) smell is a little vanilla, flowers, wood, and something fresh which I can't place. The hair oil is a little fresher though, will smell the EdT later!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I once saw Tabac described as smelling like a Crimean whorehouse- the gentleman in me did not inquire how that person knew what a Crimean whorehouse smelled like.:lol:

Unless you're serious scent geek its very difficult to get an idea of it in text. Tabac is a wetshaving must0try anyway, so might as well get a puck and find out.

~Adam

Petitgrain? Seriously? Does anyone even know what that is? (I don't mean "able to use Google", but actually KNOW what that is?)

I gave up on basenotes long ago. It's written in English, but all the words are completely unfamiliar to me. And the ones I do understand don't match my experience.

I think it is a complex mixture of:

50% old folks home, the Grandmother section
40% 1942 Bremerhaven Bordello the morning after an Unterseaboot shore leave
10% cheap floral drugstore perfume

They are all very common aromatic ingredients found typically in French fragrances for men. It's easier to understand in French.

Poivre = pepper
Petit grain = woodsy orange, often described as "bergamot"
Citron = Lemon, clean soap
Neroli = Orange flower water (like in baklava)
Lavande = French Lavender (not the English one)
Camomille and geranium = very common flower scents
Vétivier = the most typical scent found in French fragrances for men
Ambre gris = the second most common fragrances found in men's perfumes
Sandalwood = very common in English products for men
Moschus = fancy word for "musk"

I think Tonka Bean is missing.

Tonka = almost like vanilla

Last edited:
I once saw Tabac described as smelling like a Crimean whorehouse- the gentleman in me did not inquire how that person knew what a Crimean whorehouse smelled like.:lol:
I had just come off my shift of volunteering at a homeless shelter and was helping a blind nun rescue a frightened kitten from the top of a tall tree when the limb broke and I fell through a skylight and landed in a heap on a soiled velvet rug, narrowly missing an inebriated Black Sea fishing boat captain wearing a cape.

I would say the place reeked of Tabac, but in all honesty it's the other way around. :wink2:

They are all very common aromatic ingredients found typically in French fragrances for men. It's easier to understand in French.

Poivre = pepper
Petit grain = woodsy orange, often described as "bergamot"
Citron = Lemon, clean soap
Neroli = Orange flower water (like in baklava)
Lavande = French Lavender (not the English one)
Camomille and geranium = very common flower scents
Vétivier = the most typical scent found in French fragrances for men
Ambre gris = the second most common fragrances found in men's perfumes
Sandalwood = very common in English products for men
Moschus = fancy word for "musk"

I think Tonka Bean is missing.

Tonka = almost like vanilla

Thanks for that. I know why I like the scent so much. Woodsy orange, French Lavender, musk, spice...:thumbup1:

Just a quick comment about the EdT, it's pretty much reguarded as terrible and all together a much different scent to the other parts of the tabac line.

The soap, aftershave, and EdC are all pretty much the same scentwise, and I love and use them all.

I was never able to come up with a descent description of the very distinctive scent of Tabac. Seemed like a combo of various scents that I couldn't discern.

Went to C&E to see what all the fuss was about for the Nomad scent. (Hated it actually), but while I was there sampled the Sienna and Sandalwood. Boom. Tabac is sandalwood? Not identical, but clearly have a similar base.

i found nomad to also be unpleasant when i smelled it at the store, picked it up anyway and found that the scent really was nice when lathered... glad i grabbed it before the Tysons store went under..

Top Bottom