What's new

Synthetic vs. Boar vs. Badger?

Each type of bristle has different characteristics and a wide range of choices in terms of quality, size, density, and shape. I've had brushes I would rate from great to disgraceful in badger, boar, and synthetic. (I've never owned a horse-hair brush.) I mostly use synthetics for their ease of use: you don't need to soak them and they dry quickly. Nowadays, you can buy a very good one for under $15. I like a boar to face lather, and once they're broken in, they get nice and soft and do not smell like a barnyard. And when I want to live large, I'll give a high-quality badger a go. The lush feeling, for me, is the height of luxury.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
17 boar and badger brushes later @Esox, the enabler he is, posted a link for a Maggard Plisson type synthetic for $9.99 US. Since then I've packed away my badgers and boars, and I have bought four APShaveco synthetics and five Omega S-Brushes in the past month. My conversion was complete and quick. I can load more than enough SV soap in ten seconds flat. For me they out preform my natural hair brushes. They dont retain heat which, for me, is desirable. Besides I like menthol. Synthetics also clean up and dry quick always looking new.

Between my semogue boars and a variety of synthetic brushes, I’ll reach for a boar most any day. I have 5 different synthetics and none of them have the backbone, the ability to whip up a lather and hold it, and the luxurious face feel of a boar. As far as a synthetic drying faster... I’ve really not noticed that as I rinse it after my shave and then I’m off to work and not back for another 14 hours. My bathroom isn’t humid, but I’ve found my synthetic still damp on occasion when I’ve gotten home.

With that said, I like synthetic brushes, but love boar brushes.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I own all three, of course. Most days I use one of the boars. I usually use soap and have three that I like: soft tips, large enough for my scuttle and enough backbone.

On days that I face lather I use the SOC badger 2 band: more backbone and still has soft enough tips to not annoy me.

When I travel I use a synthetic: cheap, dries quickly and works fine.

On days when I want a little extra pampering I pull of the Kent BK8 silvertip: almost unbelievably soft tips and plenty of backbone for my scuttle.

I seem to prefer a boar brush, but I'm not at all sure why.

Great to have options!! Personally I prefer natural hair, especially badger, these days!! But I could easily have moved to mainly boar brushes. So many options, so little time!!

TRY THEM ALL!! :a14::a14::a14:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
17 boar and badger brushes later @Esox, the enabler he is, posted a link for a Maggard Plisson type synthetic for $9.99 US. Since then I've packed away my badgers and boars, and I have bought four APShaveco synthetics and five Omega S-Brushes in the past month.

You're welcome! :001_tt2:

You got me back by getting me to try CRS lol.

Omega boars, all the way. A relofted 49 knot, well broken in, is just fantastic. I have nice badgers and synths. The synths are for traveling only: no backbone and while they wipe lather just fine, they can't do enough massaging and nor go deep enough, if that makes sense.

Proverb1: "Variety is the salt of life". Proverb2: "He who can remain satisfied, is a happy man".

The 1st one, means that you should have them all. They all behave differently. They all can lead to a perfect shave. It's a matter of learning how to use them.

The 2nd one, means that "S.B.A.D." is waiting around the corner, because there are so many different brushes, that if you can't put a definition about what you seek, there is no limit to the money spent or number of brushes that you may buy. My definition, is that shaving is a 15-20 minutes operation, notoriously dull, for which one should change things to keep it less dull. I don't see it as collectionism nor as searching the brush that will give the "ultimate thrill". Then the scope becomes the brush itself. It is the same as the difference between having several wines to change and having a cellar, full of ultra-expensive wines. As such, i see no reason to pay for expensive brushes, when you can pay less and have a bigger variety. They shave you equally well. To use Hollywood analogies:

- Boar: John Wayne's brush. I don't understand people who say they are equal to pure badger. Pure badgers scratch, boars don't. I can't see any difference between my boars and Yaqi 2 band is the tips. The best cost/benefit ratio brush in natural hair. Floppy brushes are almost impossible to find, unless they become so after years of mashing. Very predictable.
- Horse: Crazy Horse's brush. My Vie Long has 8 microcracks in the handle. It's crazy, i don't know how they got there. They perform admirably, but after 1 year of ownership, i am still afraid i may push too hard one day and find the hair tangled up. The center of the brush definitely shows a tendency that could lead there. When the handle cracks completely, i am not sure will replace it.
- Badger: Cary Grant's brush. This is the industry's favourite brush, because it's where the big money goes. You can easily spend €1000 and still be searching for the "right" brush. Worst cost/benefit ratio animal hair. I treat with caution. I will never pay more than €50 for one. That's what the wine cellar types are for. Non predictable brushes. Very temperamental. Spoiled divas of wetshaving.
- Synthetic: Keanu Reeves' brush. It outperforms any hair brush. It is softer than badger at the tips. It uses less soap. It doesn't kill animals. The only "con" is that the knot isn't behaving like real hair (it has a plasticky feeling with fibers that bounce back to perfect position in a non natural way). Best cost/benefit ratio in absolute terms.

You can have them all, you should have them all. Just remember that Cary Grant's S.B.A.D. costs a lot more than anyone else's. :001_302:

If i had to choose: Boar. Because they always have backbone and Semogues are on par with badgers in softness. All, at a low cost.

Tried a horse. Hated it.

Tolerate my one synth, haven’t used it in years. It was my traveling, pack up day brush.
Like my boars.
Love my badgers. At the house and on the road. Now, I’ll use my Wee Scott on a small kit travel day, and open up the kit to air out when I’m home. I would also use my WD 20mm silvertip on some travel days, get it as dry as I could, then air it out at home. It was my daily travel brush on non-movement days.

And I can load any soap with any brush, then face lather happily.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
You're welcome! :001_tt2:

You got me back by getting me to try CRS lol.
Geesh Mike, I'm trying to keep CRS on the down low lest they raise their price, and lower volume, like artisans. Shhhhh! At least try to steer folks towards CRS French Vetiver...the good stuff. :wink2:

Last edited:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Proverb1: "Variety is the salt of life". Proverb2: "He who can remain satisfied, is a happy man".

The 1st one, means that you should have them all. They all behave differently. They all can lead to a perfect shave. It's a matter of learning how to use them.

The 2nd one, means that "S.B.A.D." is waiting around the corner, because there are so many different brushes, that if you can't put a definition about what you seek, there is no limit to the money spent or number of brushes that you may buy. My definition, is that shaving is a 15-20 minutes operation, notoriously dull, for which one should change things to keep it less dull. I don't see it as collectionism nor as searching the brush that will give the "ultimate thrill". Then the scope becomes the brush itself. It is the same as the difference between having several wines to change and having a cellar, full of ultra-expensive wines. As such, i see no reason to pay for expensive brushes, when you can pay less and have a bigger variety. They shave you equally well. To use Hollywood analogies:

- Boar: John Wayne's brush. I don't understand people who say they are equal to pure badger. Pure badgers scratch, boars don't. I can't see any difference between my boars and Yaqi 2 band is the tips. The best cost/benefit ratio brush in natural hair. Floppy brushes are almost impossible to find, unless they become so after years of mashing. Very predictable.
- Horse: Crazy Horse's brush. My Vie Long has 8 microcracks in the handle. It's crazy, i don't know how they got there. They perform admirably, but after 1 year of ownership, i am still afraid i may push too hard one day and find the hair tangled up. The center of the brush definitely shows a tendency that could lead there. When the handle cracks completely, i am not sure will replace it.
- Badger: Cary Grant's brush. This is the industry's favourite brush, because it's where the big money goes. You can easily spend €1000 and still be searching for the "right" brush. Worst cost/benefit ratio animal hair. I treat with caution. I will never pay more than €50 for one. That's what the wine cellar types are for. Non predictable brushes. Very temperamental. Spoiled divas of wetshaving.
- Synthetic: Keanu Reeves' brush. It outperforms any hair brush. It is softer than badger at the tips. It uses less soap. It doesn't kill animals. The only "con" is that the knot isn't behaving like real hair (it has a plasticky feeling with fibers that bounce back to perfect position in a non natural way). Best cost/benefit ratio in absolute terms.

You can have them all, you should have them all. Just remember that Cary Grant's S.B.A.D. costs a lot more than anyone else's. :001_302:

If i had to choose: Boar. Because they always have backbone and Semogues are on par with badgers in softness. All, at a low cost.
:thumbup: Very well put. BTW, have you taken the test my brother? Test: Should you be “committed” to the BOSC (Brotherhood of Shaving Crazies)? :letterk1:

:thumbup: Very well put. BTW, have you taken the test my brother? Test: Should you be “committed” to the BOSC (Brotherhood of Shaving Crazies)? :letterk1:

Oh no, please, that's where all you people come from? In 2011 i was in 3. Now i am probably at 2. I still have a mild SBAD tendency, but everything else has settled down, because once i perfected my technique, the rest didn't matter. I can use any soap and almost any blade. I would never join you, because you BOSC gentlemen, confuse me for a long time now. I see your avatar and i think you are all the same person! Maybe you could have normal avatars and put in one corner "BOSC". This way you will seem different persons. :001_07:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Geesh Mike, I'm trying to keep CRS on the down low lest they raise their price, and lower volume, like artisans. Shhhhh! At least try to steer folks towards CRS French Vetiver...the good stuff. :wink2:

There is a reason I didnt quote my journal post. :tongue_sm

Three+Wise+Monkeys.jpg

I would never join you, because you BOSC gentlemen, confuse me for a long time now. I see your avatar and i think you are all the same person!

bosc_legion.png

Great examples!! Guess I am (mostly) in the Cary Grant camp!!

But a HAPPY ‘spoiled diva!!’ :a29:

Love that tiny little razor Grant was using on the train! I wonder if it was a real "thing" or if it was just a momentary bit of humor made up for the movie. Anyone know?

And how do you shave on a train without cutting yourself every time it lurches?

Greg

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!

Greg

Never shaved on a moving train, but have shaved on a cruise ship in excess of force 12 hurricane. That was an interesting experience. No nicks, but I took a bit of a chunk out of one side of the goatee. I wish I'd taken closed comb instead of open comb.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Love that tiny little razor Grant was using on the train! I wonder if it was a real "thing" or if it was just a momentary bit of humor made up for the movie. Anyone know?

Greg
I believe it was a ladies razor with multi-piece handle that the only used part of to keep it tiny.... but I am probably wrong (as usual LOL).

GREAT CLIP (and a classic movie)! :a29:

Paradise, must be a sunny place near sea, where there is always open a cinema that shows North by Northwest all the hours of the day. :001_302: My favourite Cary Grant film and one of my all time favourites of this kind of films.

Top Bottom