What's new

Synthetic vs. Boar vs. Badger?

It's certainly a personal preference. I started wet shaving 2 years ago, and since then I've been regularly using my two favorite natural hair brushes, a Shavemac 2-band badger brush and a Semogue Owners Club boar brush - both are considered top-tier brushes. I've also been using several synthetics, all with 26mm Yaqi tuxedo knots, my favorite. I shave at the gym before work during the week so the synthetics work best for that application. I use my natural hair brushes on the weekends. I figured that my natural hair brushes would always out perform my synthetics because they're, well, natural hair brushes. To my surprise, however, I discovered that my synthetics have outperformed my natural hair brushes. The synthetics have great backbone, face feel, flow-through and all the rest. I particularly like that the tuxedo knots trap more soap than my natural hair brushes and dispense the soap more gradually over time. There's always plenty of soap left in my synthetic knots for a second or third pass compared to my natural hair brushes with the same size knot. I'll likely retire my natural hair brushes sometime soon.

Good comments. I use
It's certainly a personal preference. I started wet shaving 2 years ago, and since then I've been regularly using my two favorite natural hair brushes, a Shavemac 2-band badger brush and a Semogue Owners Club boar brush - both are considered top-tier brushes. I've also been using several synthetics, all with 26mm Yaqi tuxedo knots, my favorite. I shave at the gym before work during the week so the synthetics work best for that application. I use my natural hair brushes on the weekends. I figured that my natural hair brushes would always out perform my synthetics because they're, well, natural hair brushes. To my surprise, however, I discovered that my synthetics have outperformed my natural hair brushes. The synthetics have great backbone, face feel, flow-through and all the rest. I particularly like that the tuxedo knots trap more soap than my natural hair brushes and dispense the soap more gradually over time. There's always plenty of soap left in my synthetic knots for a second or third pass compared to my natural hair brushes with the same size knot. I'll likely retire my natural hair brushes sometime soon.

Good comments. I use badger, boar, horsehair and synthetic brushes. I enjoy using all of them with a variety of soaps and creams. However, if I ever have trouble developing a great lather, I will grab my 26mm Tuxedo synthetics. I have yet to find a soap or cream that it can't lather.

It's ages since I sold my Maseto silvertip badger and went over to 26mm Yaqi synths - Tuxedo and Timber Wolf. I've never regretted it and it's comforting to find others have similar experiences. I'm not vegan but all the same I feel better about not relying on animal products.

Is there a chart or some sort of explanation as to the differences among all the Yaqi (and presumably Maggards, IB, etc.) synthetic knots?

My comments about the last few posts.
1. Agree with RayClem though I have trouble reaching for my natural hair brushes because the synthetics are so nice.
2. Nice one MacfromMichigan. :a6: It's a $180 Shavemac! Happy to sell for reasonable price.
3. Procver, try a synthetic, particularly one with a Tuxedo knot. I like the 26mm size and Yaqi has a couple for $15. Careful, you might not go back!
4. branford, yeah, I've seen a couple different charts online. If I find the one I'm thinking about, I'll post it later.

Appreciate all the comments.

My comments about the last few posts.
1. Agree with RayClem though I have trouble reaching for my natural hair brushes because the synthetics are so nice.
2. Nice one MacfromMichigan. :a6: It's a $180 Shavemac! Happy to sell for reasonable price.
3. Procver, try a synthetic, particularly one with a Tuxedo knot. I like the 26mm size and Yaqi has a couple for $15. Careful, you might not go back!
4. branford, yeah, I've seen a couple different charts online. If I find the one I'm thinking about, I'll post it later.

Appreciate all the comments.
Yeah, that's exactly what I've been recommended before. Will do most certainly.

I have VERY limited experience.

I started with a LatherWhip badger. I was PIFed a Trader Joe's synthetic. My wife gave me an Omega boar on Valentines Day.

BY FAR I enjoyed the boar. To me, it just "feels right". I like the backbone. And it's not even broken in yet.

You may want to try the Omega S-brush. It's a synthetic in the same design as their Boars. It's got the backbone and the springy feeling, but is a bit softer and I think acts more like a broken in boar in splaying.

I have two and I like them a lot. You can get the entry level one for about 8$ I believe.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I am a die hard boar fan. They are not expensive, will lather anything latherable and I simply like the feel. I pull the hair out of my Badger to test sharpness of razors as I hone them. Synthetic - meh. Natural hair has scales on it, synthetic does not.

I have all three and love them all. I like my badger the most. It's luxurious and retains warmth. I like the synthetic almost as much. It also retains warmth and is soft. However, it's second place because it feels like a wet noodle (in a good way) with backbone. My boar is soft, but scrubby. I don't appreciate this quality as much as others. It retains the least heat and also holds the least lather. I don't think this is a big negative. They all produce lots of lather.

I'll take a bean (lots of channa, please!) or a tomato/olive/feta salad over a green one.
I hear ya. Maybe you noticed this pic that I posted in an earlier thread. It was utterly irrelevant there, too. That's a grilled branzino next to our favorite salad.
P.S. My RazoRock Bruce synthetic has been my first choice from the moment I got it. If I bought another brush, it likely would be synthetic.
20190328_172635.jpg

I've been a synthetic user exclusively for some while, and they do perform beautifully. But this week I got given some boar brushes and they're just so much more interesting. You have to break them in, they have quite different personalities in terms of splay, backbone and face feel. Plus I face lather with hard soaps and they do pick up the soap very efficiently from the tin. I'm turning into quite a fan.

Boars are great value. If I started collecting them I'd exceed the cost of a good badger but theyre just so much fun. I once had a nice Silvertip Maseto 26mm and I couldn't see too much of an advantage over a 26mm Yaqi Tuxedo. But boars are really something else.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I have to make myself use a synthetic over Badger , I always reach for the Badger first.
I have not used a boar in awhile .
I guess they all have their place in my rotation
I like variety and would never just be a one type brush Guy.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Why badger? Why exactly is it so popular?

I can only tell you what I feel,
For me there are several reasons
First thing for me is the face feel of a good badger knot is far superior to any synthetic that I have used, and I have tried almost all the most popular ones .
Second it's not a big deal but the way a badger looks when it is in full bloom , for me it just looks so cool to see .
Also most synthetic knots feel.... again for me
Fragile compared to badger. I have had a few donut holes in the past with the synthetic .
Don't get me wrong I have a few synthetic brushes that are nice but I just like the badger.
I have not tried the Muhle synthetic brushes yet or the Shavemac offering .
I know it's all about personal choice but the
Red,blue, green synthetic knots look like , well
I don't want to offend anyone so I can't say what I really think.

Hey all,

From what I’ve seen on these fora, different people have different preferences in brushes. For example, I had thought badger would be unequivocally preferred for its softness, but I’ve seen many here (and elsewhere) who seem to prefer boar precisely because of its stiffness.

So, what are the reasons for using one over the other? Is it mostly price, or does each have objectively positive and negative qualities? Or is it all just personal preference?

Why do you prefer one over the other?

Thanks,

Greg
You are correct, sir!
It is preference.
I prefer badger.
My boar outperforms badgers and the synthetic in my den.
Find what you like best and stick to it.

Top Bottom