What's new

Synthetic Shaving Brush Pass Around

do we have a purest satin tip? If not I might be able to track one down to contribute

NyquistRate generously offered to purchase a brush for the box. The Purest Satin Tip is one he is considering, as well as others. He's also asking for feedback on the choice. See post #70.

I am so excited for this! I have not expanded into brushes very much so this is the perfect pass around for me. Thank you for all the generous donations everyone!

Since most of those are similar or identical fibers, I'm thinking about The Purest Satin Tip. I expect it to be different than all the other options. Anything I donate must be shipped to @mightyeskimo so I am open to other suggestions. Feedback wanted!

You're absolutely right about most of them using identical fibers but it's worth noting that there are still reported differences in the sizes of the glue bumps, which seems to make quite a bit of a difference. Even two brushes from the same manufacturer seem to differ every so often.

I definitely agree with the notion that it's more important to get more variety with regard to the fibers however. A box full of brushes with completely different knots makes a lot more sense than a box with brushes that use identical knots with only minute differences like the size of the glue bump and the depth of the knot inside the handle. The only issue is that many other synthetics seem to be considerably more expensive, excluding the Satin Tip and WD brushes.

Since most of those are similar or identical fibers, I'm thinking about The Purest Satin Tip. I expect it to be different than all the other options. Anything I donate must be shipped to [MENTION=81775]mightyeskimo[/MENTION] so I am open to other suggestions. Feedback wanted!
I think the Satin Tip is a good choice to include. It is one that I hadn't really considered in my synthetic experiments, but I probably would have gotten one eventually. Then again, I'm very, very happy with my RazoRock Plissoft and Fine STOUT, so I'm not looking for synthetics as much as I was 6 months ago.

But one brush that still intrigues me is the Kent Infinitex ... if you or another participant could get one into the box, I'd really appreciate trying this one out.

And another shout out for anything with a Gen4 knot, like the Simpson Classic 1 or Chub2S or the Muhle STF ... but I'm not holding my breath expecting one of these to show up. These are expensive to purchase, and those that already have one are unlikely to part with it.

Is this going to be in a medium flat rate box? I think you guys blew right past the small box already.

Yeah, I think a medium box will be required.

We don't need 2-day service in between stops. With ground parcel post, it can arrive in 3~4 days, at considerable savings in postage.

Yeah, I think a medium box will be required.

We don't need 2-day service in between stops. With ground parcel post, it can arrive in 3~4 days, at considerable savings in postage.

We could compare a flat rate box vs. a by weight one. I tend to prefer the flat rate ones for several reasons.
1. The weight doesn't matter and most time the price savings isn't much for going by weight.
2. The boxes are easily attainable and free for when they need to be replaced
3. The shipping is quick
4. Some insurance is included.

We could compare a flat rate box vs. a by weight one. I tend to prefer the flat rate ones for several reasons.
1. The weight doesn't matter and most time the price savings isn't much for going by weight.
2. The boxes are easily attainable and free for when they need to be replaced
3. The shipping is quick
4. Some insurance is included.

Yes, you're right ... I had forgotten to include the weight factor, but even with all these brushes, I doubt we'd be looking at much more than 1 pound.

Last time I did a Trade, I sent out a Priority Mail box at a cost of just under $7. It arrived at the other end in 2 days.
The other guy sent his in a parcel-post bubble envelope, at a cost of just over $2. It arrived in 3 days.

I'm in no big hurry, so an extra day or two doesn't matter to me. But you're right, we should examine the options and compare costs. If its within $1 or $2, the convenience and speed of Priority Mail would make it worth it, along with the included insurance ($50?) and tracking.

Last edited:
Sorry I haven't been following this. I would love to be a part of it. I only have one brush so I can't contribute that way, but if you have a brush you need bought I can do that. I have no knowledge brush-wise so this box would be a great learning experience for me.

Sorry I haven't been following this. I would love to be a part of it. I only have one brush so I can't contribute that way, but if you have a brush you need bought I can do that. I have no knowledge brush-wise so this box would be a great learning experience for me.

There is still room on the sign-up list. And AFAIK, contributing a brush is not a requirement to participate. The only requirement is to write some reviews as you try out the different brushes. [MENTION=81775]mightyeskimo[/MENTION] will chime in and clarify this or add additional requirements if needed.

I did a lot of reading about synthetic brushes over the last 5 years before I bought one. But nothing I read has taught me as much about the differences between various knots and sizes as much as actually putting these brushes to my face. Once I actually had them in the den and used them each a couple of times, everything that I read became clear. And it didn't take long until I had found my favorites and now can make much better choices the next time I go to buy a synthetic brush.

There is still room on the sign-up list. And AFAIK, contributing a brush is not a requirement to participate. The only requirement is to write some reviews as you try out the different brushes. @mightyeskimo will chime in and clarify this or add additional requirements if needed.

I did a lot of reading about synthetic brushes over the last 5 years before I bought one. But nothing I read has taught me as much about the differences between various knots and sizes as much as actually putting these brushes to my face. Once I actually had them in the den and used them each a couple of times, everything that I read became clear. And it didn't take long until I had found my favorites and now can make much better choices the next time I go to buy a synthetic brush.

Where is the sign up?

You guys see the new wolf whiskers synthetic? Not that we could get one for this box, but you can see it in action on Peter's YT channel. Looks great. Hopefully we'll start to hear some feedback on it soon

Top Bottom