What's new

Synthetic Shaving Brush Pass Around

What should the max number be?
Somewhere between 12 and 20 seems like a comfortable amount to work with.

Another thing to consider is what happens to the brushes when the pass is finished? Do they go back to the original owners? Maybe we hold a raffle and the winner gets them all.

One option I considered was donating my synthetic brushes to the The Saint Sue Auction. I think that's coming up in October, so its probably too late to do it this year, but it might be considered for SueDay 2017.

Somewhere between 12 and 20 seems like a comfortable amount to work with.

Another thing to consider is what happens to the brushes when the pass is finished? Do they go back to the original owners? Maybe we hold a raffle and the winner gets them all.

One option I considered was donating my synthetic brushes to the The Saint Sue Auction. I think that's coming up in October, so its probably too late to do it this year, but it might be considered for SueDay 2017.

Great points to consider!

Regarding vendor participation in this pass around.

After consulting with the mods we have decided not to ask vendors to contribute to this box. While the benefits of doing so, such as increased exposure and sales, is certainly possible, this doesn't outweigh the spirit of B&B. In this specific instance, the spirit of Badger and Blade is not to solicit free or discounted merchandise from any of our vendors. Thank you all very much for your views and comments regarding this issue. Your contributions to this site are extremely valuable.

Regarding vendor participation in this pass around.

After consulting with the mods we have decided not to ask vendors to contribute to this box. While the benefits of doing so, such as increased exposure and sales, is certainly possible, this doesn't outweigh the spirit of B&B. In this specific instance, the spirit of Badger and Blade is not to solicit free or discounted merchandise from any of our vendors. Thank you all very much for your views and comments regarding this issue. Your contributions to this site are extremely valuable.

This sounds very reasonable. I also don't see any way to edit old posts but I'd like to retract the comments that I made earlier about a vendor acting scathingly when being asked for samples. It turns out that I was somewhat mistaken in my remarks and as a new member, I don't want to cause any controversy.

In any case, I think that pass around is a great idea and I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's opinions on these brushes. Thank you mightyeskimo for getting this started.

This sounds very reasonable. I also don't see any way to edit old posts but I'd like to retract the comments that I made earlier about a vendor acting scathingly when being asked for samples. It turns out that I was somewhat mistaken in my remarks and as a new member, I don't want to cause any controversy.

In any case, I think that pass around is a great idea and I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's opinions on these brushes. Thank you mightyeskimo for getting this started.

I've edited your comments as requested.

I stand by my statement that I expect vendors to treat customers with respect.

With that said - I'm glad to hear you mis remembered and I'm even happier to have you come here to set the record straight. A very gentlemanly act.

1. dfoulk
2.JSouthard825
3. Tclobaugh
4. Rockclimber
5. BadgerintheSun
6.NickMach007
7. dpm802
8. bobmsp

What about the 30mm Monster? I absolutely love mine and think that everyone should experience it once just to feel the size of the handle and see if it fits their hand or not.

1. dfoulk
2.JSouthard825
3. Tclobaugh
4. Rockclimber
5. BadgerintheSun
6.NickMach007
7. dpm802
8. bobmsp
9. NyquistRate

What about the 30mm Monster? I absolutely love mine and think that everyone should experience it once just to feel the size of the handle and see if it fits their hand or not.

My apologies! I hang out in the soap forum and missed the (several) pages of updates in this brush thread since I offered to donate a synthetic. My favorite size is 24mm but it appears that we have that covered. A few options were mentioned a few pages back as well as rockclimber's suggestion of a RR Monster:

-Fine Angel Hair
-The Purest Satin Tip
-Stirling Kong
-RazoRock Plissoft
-Maggard
-Shave Revolution Evo
-old Whipped Dog "Ubersoft"
-new Whipped Dog

Since most of those are similar or identical fibers, I'm thinking about The Purest Satin Tip. I expect it to be different than all the other options. Anything I donate must be shipped to [MENTION=81775]mightyeskimo[/MENTION] so I am open to other suggestions. Feedback wanted!

PAA Checkmate: 26mm / loft unknown http://phoenixartisanaccoutrements....ave-26mm-synthetic-shaving-brush-faux-ox-horn
Omega Hi-Brush: 24mm / 56mm http://www.shaving.ie/products/omega-synthetic-hi-brush-0146138.html
Stirling KONG: 26mm / 63mm https://www.stirlingsoap.com/synthetic-shave-brush-26mm-x-63mm-kong/

Twist my arm a little bit, I might include a Whipped Dog 30mm with Butterscotch handle. This was the most recent synthetic I purchased, but by no means the last one I get. This is a HUGE brush. Very dense knot with a lot of backbone. It holds a lot of water.

Another one I have is a Body Shop synthetic. This was the first synthetic I ever tried, and I didn't like it at all. Splays out too much and feels hollow in the middle. The one time I tried this brush turned my off to synthetics for many years.

I'm holding on to my two other synthetics. A RazoRock Plissoft and a Fine STOUT. At 24mm knots, these are at the sweet spot for face-lathering.

I'm hoping that someone will include a Simpson Classic 1 ... I'd love to try a Gen4 knot. I think Muhle uses a Gen4 also, but I don't expect anyone to pop an expensive brush like that (or a Chubby2S) into a passaround box. The Classic 1 is much more affordable and shareable, though.

Oh I think all 3 of these will round out the box very nicely! Lot's of different brands. And I'll happily twist your arm or drop ship you a case of beer for the 30mm! :) Of course, it's entirely up to you sir.

With my brushes, I can include a few extra golf-ball tubes.
These will fit everything except the KONG. I will ship that in a toilet-paper tube crimped at the ends.

That's wonderful! I'm going to try to grab some prescription bottles too.

Oh - I meant to add that I have an Omega S Brush that I've only used a few times. I was going to PIF it - I don't like it very much - but if you'd like, I'd be happy to add it to the collection. (Bear in mind that it's probably not as good as most of the others that will be in the box.)

If you don't think it's really on par with what's in the box then I'm perfectly ok not adding it. It's entirely up to you.

I recently acquired a set of Muhle brushes. One of them isn't to my liking and someone else may benefit from it. It is a 'Vintage' Muhle Silvertip Fiber. It is not as soft as their recent offers. It feels more like a pure badger brush and has a decent amount of scritch.

proxy.php

It is the one in the middle. If interested, please let me know. I know it's not sold anymore but more than happy to contribute.

This Muhle in the center will also be in the box. Is that a 19mm or 20mm by chance?

**This was the first post in this thread when the idea was launched. I've parked it here and put up a new first post that details what we all came up with.

Hi fellas! I was told that the Eskimo symbol was thrown up by commissioner [MENTION=67261]Parjay[/MENTION] and our fine citizens [MENTION=73656]dfoulk[/MENTION] and [MENTION=78901]NyquistRate[/MENTION]. So, I'm donning my seal skin cape and springing into action. Well as much as you can spring with when you're covered in ice and snow. But here goes!

I think this is a great idea and, up until now, I had always thought of a shaving brush pass around being something out of reach due to the usual high cost of great brushes. It really never occurred to me that we can really do a box of sub $25 dollar brushes for folks to try out. I would even be up for managing a box for badgers, boars and horses in addition to the synths.

So, fellow gentlemen of B&B in general and shaving brushes in particular, what are some of the questions we need to ask and answer to get these boxes off the ground?

Should we ask vendors for samples to put in the box? Is this an ethically correct thing to do? I'd hate to ask someone for a freebie because, to many, that is frowned upon.

Would any members like to buy a brush out of their own coin to add to this box?

Should this box be CONUS only? Perhaps synthetic brushes don't fall under the same customs regulations as natural animal hair?

Which brushes should be represented?

Which sizes should be represented?

How do we control moisture in the box to make sure the brushes do not develop mold or other negative ochies on their journey?

Lastly, I'm sorry mods if I should have posted in this in the team forum to begin with but I just felt like grabbing the bull by the horns!

Attachments

• $1 Group Shot.jpg
    $1 Group Shot.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
1. dfoulk
2.JSouthard825
3. Tclobaugh
4. Rockclimber
5. BadgerintheSun
6.NickMach007
7. dpm802
8. bobmsp
9. NyquistRate

My apologies! I hang out in the soap forum and missed the (several) pages of updates in this brush thread since I offered to donate a synthetic. My favorite size is 24mm but it appears that we have that covered. A few options were mentioned a few pages back as well as rockclimber's suggestion of a RR Monster:

Since most of those are similar or identical fibers, I'm thinking about The Purest Satin Tip. I expect it to be different than all the other options. Anything I donate must be shipped to [MENTION=81775]mightyeskimo[/MENTION] so I am open to other suggestions. Feedback wanted!

I think that Purest Satin Tip would be nice. It seems quite unique from the others. Although, if that Fine Angel is a 20mm it might represent the small end very well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom