What's new

Sweet Maria's Moka Mutovu

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Has anyone roasted this blend? It's the substitute for Moka Kadir, i.e., what they offer when they can't get the Yemeni beans that for the base of Moka Kadir. I recently picked some up out of curiosity but also out of some degree of concern that Moka Kadir may be consigned to history sooner than later.

The only frames of reference I have for roasting this blend are my experiences with Moka Kadir and with roasting beans from both Rwanda and Burundi (the stated regions for the blend). The first roast went fairly well. It was a lot quicker than the Moka Kadir roast, especially through the ramp. The result was something still rather cocoa forward, but also a good deal more woody and with more of a berry note. I like it, but it's not full of that luscious chocolate that Moka Kadir has.

Of course, I also dropped it earlier, believing I started to hear some clicks of second crack and being concerned about overdevelopment, as well. Looking at the roasted beans, I don't think I actually got that far.

I am going to try to slow the ramp/melanoidin down a bit to see about drawing out a bit more sweetness, but I am concerned about trading that for a weak FC. I didn't know if any of you had any insights. I appreciate any comments.

Top Bottom