What's new

Sweet eBay find

I came across this razor was listed with 2 others. Got all 3 for $75!!!!!!! It's got to be my oldest razor now. I don't know how old exactly but from what I can tell the name on it is " THOMPSON". Any one know any info on it? It needs a little cleaning and then a hone job. Overall it's in great shape.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 238
I'd say extremely early 1800s personally. Treat that with extreme kid gloves, don't be heavy handed.

Ditto.

That basic blade profile dates back to the 1700s, but being hollow ground pulls it forward into the 1800s.. but just barely.

Looks like you might have yourself a 200 year old razor.

Um, lemme see - what if I told you my last name was Thompson and our family has been looking for that thing forEVER.

Hey, very nice buy and congrats - anybody would love to have that one.

That's what I figured. If not late 1700's then very early 1800. It would be nice to know for sure.

Is it a hollow grind or a faux frameback? The razors where the line of tang runs into the blade are in my opinion more likely late 1700's.

Is it a hollow grind or a faux frameback? The razors where the line of tang runs into the blade are in my opinion more likely late 1700's.

Yup... and the very small tang.

The extremely small, but present monkey tail puts it a bit later, so I wouldn't say Revolutionary War, but it very well could have been used around the time of the War of 1812.

part of why I like this hobby so much....not many hobbies where you can make useful daily use of something that would otherwise be found in a museum.

Yup... and the very small tang.

The extremely small, but present monkey tail puts it a bit later, so I wouldn't say Revolutionary War, but it very well could have been used around the time of the War of 1812.

It seems that everyone is still going off the pictures and info posted on the SRP website. That has since been shown to not be accurate. I think it was Legion who posted photos of razors at the Victoria and Albert Museum in London that had the small money tail and were dated from the 1760's.

Cool score.
my mind says early 1800s - but the grind says later.
But - I'm guessing based on limited exposure to blades that old.
Not feeling 1700s but anything is possible.
I'ts a very cool blade. Congrats!

I thought I read in an article in an antique magazine from the early 1900s that hollow grinds didn't start til the early 1800s

Top Bottom