Surprise Handle

Discussion in 'Brush Making and Restorations' started by Graydog, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Graydog

Graydog Contributor

Mesquite from AZ.
    I just started turning it . Very Hard dense wood ,again I used a end grain orientation Surprise.jpg2.jpg Surprise.jpg3.jpg

2. Damn, that just looks hard!

3. ralph029

ralph029 Contributor

Makes me want to go cut down one of the mesquite trees in my yard :)

4. That pattern looks great.

5. The grain looks fantastic, regardless of how hard it is. That's going to be one amazing handle.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

6. Very cool. End grain turning sure makes turning and sanding fun, but the results sure are amazing

7. Graydog

Graydog Contributor

Yeah , but it is just another way to see the grain that makes it worth it for Me

8. rockviper

rockviper Moderator Emeritus

I'm interested to see how the grain pops when oiled.

9. +1

10. Looks like the desert sands!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

11. REV579

REV579 Contributor

Saturn or Jupiter! You could name the brush after one of the lunar satellites NASA's rockets, or either the planet itself.

12. ajkel64

ajkel64 Moderator

Another fantastic handle. You have a talent for being able to pick some very nice grainy wood.

13. I couldn't place what it reminded me of but I can definitely see desert sand and Jupiter.

14. First though, besides "Wow" was ...Jupiter!
    Looking forward to the oiled finish.

15. I have been running into some issues with mesquite when trying to get the finish on properly. The mesquite I have is so pourus. Failed twice trying to get them filled in before I got it right. I had to do a lot of thin coats, when I didn't the polish got stuck in all the pores.

16. Very nice Steve, and clever name lol...

17. Graydog

Graydog Contributor

I have 2 on the Lathes now from the same chunk ,This one I am trying to use the knot in the wood
    One coat of Danish oil and 3 coats of wood CA, still a few to go . Surprise.jpg5.jpg Surprise9.jpg Surprise8.jpg
    Here is some Oil @rockviper

18. rockviper

rockviper Moderator Emeritus

Kewl! (Isn't that what the young'uns under 50 say these days?)

Why does the middle pic's colouring look so different from the other two? Lighting?

19. Dang that's beautiful. With that knot the name Jupiter would be perfect.

20. Wow! As always.

Orbit.