What's new

Super Speeds vs Krona

I can count the number of razors I own on one hand. Three I don't really use and the other two are Super Speeds. My 40's style one I keep packed away and my '57 Flair Tip is my daily driver. I'm about to receive a Schick Krona soon and would like to know how they compare to one another?

I know the krona is probably lighter than the SS with it's plastic handle..but does that mean it's more/less/same mild as the SS?

I already know a lot about the super speeds, so for those of you that use a Krona, why do you like the razor and what's your favorite thing about it? Looking forward to using mine!

I believe the Schick Krona was made from 1959 to circa 1976, though some sources give other dates that are somewhat similar. Whatever, it's definitely a "1960's razor."

The Krona is a well balanced DE razor with a very comfortable somewhat long TTO handle. It is a somewhat mild razor, maybe similar to your Flair Tip, though YMMV. If your beard is coarse I recommend using a brand of blade known for sharpness, such as a Feather. It is a very forgiving razor. It is difficult to cut one's self with it. I see the Schick Krona as an underrated razor that gives smooth and pleasant shaves.

After you shave with it for a week please let us know your thoughts on it.

Last edited:
The Krona is a razor I like better than the more recent Super Speeds. I do think the Red Tip is better and the 40's style SS is slightly better. But, I think the metal - tipped handle Krona's are better than the late 50's and newer Super Speed razors. Even the all plastic handled Krona's provide a better shave than the later Gillette SS razors.

Smooth, no irritation shaves. Currently own one, but have PIF two others and liked them all quite a bit.

Some refer the Krona to the Gillette and some don't. That is one you will have to decide for yourself. I think they shave about the same as far as aggression is concerned. The Schick may seem a bit smoother or it may not. I think it all depends on how well the razor fits your face.

I personally find the Krona to be slightly milder than the Flare Tip. But it is similar enough to the SS that if you like the Krona's longer handle and the somewhat more head-heavy balance, it could be your ace. I generally prefer shorter handles, so that, along with the all brass build and slight edge in efficiency, tip the scales in favor of the SS for me. YMMV, etc.

I have one that sees occasional use as I prefer my superspeeds slightly. the krona is a great shaver, found it took me a little bit to find the best angle so give it a few shaves to adjust.

The Schick Krona is my daily driver (over my super speed, fat boy, slim, SA, Tech, and others). It's impossible to get a bad shave with it and even the beginner who's never used a DE before would do well with it. I may need to hoard a couple.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
The Schick Krona is an excellent all around razor. The handle isn't short like a Super Speed's, but it isn't a long handled razor like a Merkur 180 either. It's wonderfully balanced, has an awesome bake Lite type handle with plenty of aggressive non-slip knurling.

I prefer lighter weight razors. I feel they give me much more control and dexterity with my technique and shave. The Krona does well with all kinds of DE blades. If I want that "date night" close shave, I can throw in a Feather blade. Or I can adjust to a more casual, everyday office, DFS shave by throwing in an Astra SP.

The Krona is heavy enough to give me a perfectly mild shave with no pressure, or a closer, controlled shave with dare I say it? With pressure. That's right, I am expert enough in the technique and control of my shave, I can adjust it's quality with pressure. And the Krona's thin, slim and perfectly angled TTO head, along with it's not too light and not too heavy weight, and perfectly length of handle, is the perfect razor to do that with.

I have owned dozens of razors over the years and own and use DE's, SE's, Injector's Straight's and Shavette's. After owning most of Gillette's TTO's at one time or another, I have two left. A birth date 64' Flair Tip and a black handle Gillette. The birth date gets used on birthdays and I like the light weight of the black handle. But the Krona is the only TTO that has held my interest and a regular place in rotation of all manner of styles in the razors I use.

$WP_20151210_001.jpg

Wow that's good to hear! I'm really excited to give mine a go now. I myself, prefer short handled razors...but this doesn't sound like the handle will be an issue. Is there a shave difference in the krona that has the words "Schick Krona" on the silo doors vs the one that doesn't, but has a metal knob at the end instead of plastic?

The fine gentleman that traded with me let me know it was from the 60s. Mine has the metal knob at the end of the handle without the brand logo on the doors.

Is there a shave difference in the krona that has the words "Schick Krona" on the silo doors vs the one that doesn't, but has a metal knob at the end instead of plastic?

I have only used the metal TTO version and as a result can vouch that it's an outstanding, smooth, easy to use razor.

I have both and I agree with dionesius.

Some refer the Krona to the Gillette and some don't. That is one you will have to decide for yourself. I think they shave about the same as far as aggression is concerned. The Schick may seem a bit smoother or it may not. I think it all depends on how well the razor fits your face.

Having never used a SS I can only state that a Krona with a blade that is perceived to be more sharp than smooth is a wonderful combo.
GSB, 7 o clocks versions,feathers all give a great shave from this mild razor. It is pushed as a beginners razor but is my daily driver.
All you can do is try for yourself.

Merry Christmas.

$image.jpg

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Wow that's good to hear! I'm really excited to give mine a go now. I myself, prefer short handled razors...but this doesn't sound like the handle will be an issue. Is there a shave difference in the krona that has the words "Schick Krona" on the silo doors vs the one that doesn't, but has a metal knob at the end instead of plastic?

I have personally used both and cannot not discern any difference between them. However, there are those who will say otherwise.

They must be ultra sensitive... :)

My Krona has the plastic knob and says SCHICK on both doors. It belonged to my grandfather who used it as his daily until he passed away and I started using it almost 30 years ago and it still looks like new. It's a very well made razor and very much worth the pittance it brings on ebay. So don't let the plastic knob scare you.

-Mc

The Krona is very underrated..not sure why. Perhaps because there's really one design for the most part...with the exception of plastic/metal knob and logo/no logo on the head, Schick logo on the bottom of the knob or an eagle. I have the Eversharp Eagle with a slightly gray handle...love it!!

I love the slightly longer handle and find it a solid performer, no nonsense. I agree with others that since it's so mild, sharper blades shine.

Merry Christmas and enjoy!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom