What's new

Suits me

Full canvass and half canvass have to do with the internal construction of the suit (Half Canvas vs. Full Canvas Suit Construction Differences - https://askthegentleman.com/half-canvas-vs-full-canvas-suit/). Cheaper suits do not have canvassing and don’t fit as well. Although I have nice suits, I only have half-canvassed suits. The full-canvassed suits are much more expensive.

Suits with this construction also tend to have higher quality worsted wool material. I would opt for one of the higher end models from the budget stores (e.g., Joseph Banks, Men’s Wearhouse) over the cheaper Brooks Brothers models sold at their outlet stores, which are not high quality at all, IMO.

Last edited:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I'm dressing almost every day because of my job: dark blue suit, white shirt, blue tie, black oxfords and black leather belt. It's a formal attire virtually ideal for any event where elegance is required.

Full canvass and half canvass have to do with the internal construction of the suit (Half Canvas vs. Full Canvas Suit Construction Differences - https://askthegentleman.com/half-canvas-vs-full-canvas-suit/). Cheaper suits do not have canvassing and don’t fit as well. Although I have nice suits, I only have half-canvassed suits. The full-canvassed suits are much more expensive.

Suits with this construction also tend to have higher quality worsted wool material. I would opt for one of the higher end models from the budget stores (e.g., Joseph Banks, Men’s Wearhouse) over the cheaper Brooks Brothers models sold at their outlet stores, which are not high quality at all, IMO.
I really appreciate all your advice. So the sales people at the shops mentioned will know about canvassing and worsted wool?

I really appreciate all your advice. So the sales people at the shops mentioned will know about canvassing and worsted wool?
They absolutely should. I haven’t been to one in a few years, but when I used to visit the local Joseph Banks, the sales people knew this stuff.

It looks like Joseph Banks have some nice suits called Reserve that retail for about $650. I would wait for one of their sales, which can take about 50% off the price.

Last edited:

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I’d go to Jos A Banks and find a suit you like on sale. They have in house tailors that can modify the suit you want to your desires. A Brooks Brothers 346 would be another option in your price range. Look at these two and pay attention to the things people don’t like about them. BB is not what it used to be in terms of quality. Jos A was never BB quality but they’re decent, I have a few myself. The one thing I personally don’t like about Jos A suits is that they tend to use shoulder pads which can make the suit seem rather blocky. In other option, that I’ve never used, would be Mens Wearhouse. They carry multiple different brands so you should be able to find something that suits you.

Thanks. Honestly I have never been in a tailor that actually sells clothes, if I'm understanding you correctly. I guess I'm not in the right area, but I love the idea of that. How would I search for that, I'm in Virginia.
Looks like you have received some great advice since I replied. I would say that you are well on your way.

Thanks, I am only an hour south of there. Hey what is HSM please?

Hart Schaffner Marx one of my go to brands when suits were daily wear. The other was Nino Cerruti. I still own HSM suits for special occasions. Like the fit.

If you want a suit that comes with high-waisted pants, consider vintage. Newer styles have trousers that ride too low for me and are cut too tight in the arm hole. The suits that I have with high waisted trousers are from the 1990’s. (Yes they still fit me!).

I’m in a suit about once a week for work. I’m also a bit weird because I’ll wear a suit or sport coat out to dinner. It’s sad that dressing well is apparently counterculture nowadays.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I'm surprised nobody has recommended O'Connell's yet. Traditional "Ivy Style" 3 roll 2 buttoned suits with high rise trousers starting around $500. Maybe a bit more nowadays with inflation and all. No better deal for a MiUSA half-canvas suit that I'm aware of. Call them up. Their customer service is very good.

Top Bottom