What's new

Suits me

Since everyone had such great advice for me buying my first captoe and thank you, I wanted to ask you all a suit question ( oh no not another suit question) yup and here it is. I want to buy my first charcoal wool suit. And your saying, " that's it come on man". Well besides what I've stated I would also like this suit to have high rise trousers. Yes I can go to many sites and purchase such trousers separately but finding a suit with said trousers, for " ME" it's not going well. Any suggestions will be as always appreciated. Keep up your Timeless Style!

I don't know where you live, but I would suggest finding a good tailor that has a selection of suits, sport coats and blazers. They should have access to multiple manufacturers and hopefully will have a tailor to make adjustments to your new garment. I personally like to see and touch before I buy and knowing how a suit will fit is and has always been important to me.

I hope this helps you.

Thanks. Honestly I have never been in a tailor that actually sells clothes, if I'm understanding you correctly. I guess I'm not in the right area, but I love the idea of that. How would I search for that, I'm in Virginia.

Since everyone had such great advice for me buying my first captoe and thank you, I wanted to ask you all a suit question ( oh no not another suit question) yup and here it is. I want to buy my first charcoal wool suit. And your saying, " that's it come on man". Well besides what I've stated I would also like this suit to have high rise trousers. Yes I can go to many sites and purchase such trousers separately but finding a suit with said trousers, for " ME" it's not going well. Any suggestions will be as always appreciated. Keep up your Timeless Style!
Hello dyslexia my old friend
you came to mess up with me again

Well It took me a moment to figure that one out, I read captoe as capote which in french is slang for condom ( yeah I am french ) and was like ... not sure he is on the right forum here and then it hit me. Sorry I will not be of any help on that one . I hope your Thursday shoe actually fit this time.

Suits are pricy, have by not worn a Suit, Sports Coat, Nice Trousers, or Tie in 30 plus years.

Use to shop for men cloths in garment district in Los Angeles. Always bought Botnay 500 believe was name over runs.

Back in day nice traditional suit was $120.00, good dress **** was $15.00, nice tie under $15.00.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I own one suit, a charcoal tropical worsted. It has a sack jacket (no darting) with three roll two lapels (three buttons but rolled to button at the middle one). I got 1.75" cuffs. I got it at O'Connell's. For a lifetime suit, it is an excellent choice.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I don’t own a suit. I know they say every man should own at least one suit. Or is it a black suit and a grey suit? Meh, IDK. In this day and age…..I find it hard to believe that I’ll be going anywhere a suit a mandatory. And IF that day comes I guess I’ll just rent one, or buy one at the time.

I wear suits fairly regularly for work. My go-to nice suits are Brooks Brothers 1818 ones. That’s probably out of your budget, so I would suggest finding a Joseph Banks and purchasing a suit there during one of their frequent sales. Try to get a half-canvassed model (used to be called Signature Gold). Have them tailor it to your frame. Joseph Banks suits are perfectly acceptable, IMO.

Thanks. Honestly I have never been in a tailor that actually sells clothes, if I'm understanding you correctly. I guess I'm not in the right area, but I love the idea of that. How would I search for that, I'm in Virginia.

The kind of shop that used to be in every town in America when I was a young working man. Located in Charlottesville, VA. Easy parking a block or so away.

Call before you visit to see what they have in stock. They also offer custom made to order HSM suits. Worth the money.

These folks are knowledgeable, a multigenerational family business. Highly recommend.

Back in day there were Mens Shop in every town or small community, people wore suit. Recall on in Burbank on San Fernando Road, our local place was called Ed's. They had good selection of Mens clothing, and accessories and even Shoes. Tailor or alteration shop on site.

Today do people really dress up? Last 30 years of my working career it was jeans, tennis shoes, and t-shirt. Dressing up was putting on shirt with Collar for big deal assignment. Lke Magnum PI Hawaiian special.

I don't dress today except in old work style. Hate thought of tie, about only time you see person in suit is when Judge says "will defendant rise."

Reactions: ctr
You might have luck at the Brooks Brothers outlet for your budget or perhaps J Crew?

Personally I would go for a navy suit but that’s just me.

Top Bottom