What's new

Suit shopping

It's been awhile and I figure with the current sales that now is probably a good time to pick one or two up. Looking for one to wear for "casual" weddings since that's what a lot of our FL weddings are and then perhaps one for my formal affairs. Is there any difference between getting a tailored Ralph Lauren from Macy's or suits from Jos A bank?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Looking for one to wear for "casual" weddings since that's what a lot of our FL weddings are and then perhaps one for my formal affairs.

"FL" = "Florida"? You will need light-coloured and lightweight suits for the weather, I suggest.

Cream for the casual weddings. I'd go with a linen blend, roughly 50% linen and 50% either cotton or wool. The 'blend' will give you a crisper-looking suit that won't get the characteristic linen crinkles.

Mid-grey for the other, more formal events, unless you are speaking mainly about evening "almost-black-tie" events, and then either charcoal or navy. In either case, just plain fabric, no pinstripes, checks, or other patterns.

Is there any difference between getting a tailored Ralph Lauren from Macy's or suits from Jos A bank?

Suits are like cars. The $5,000 second-hand Civic and the $50,000 Lexus will both get you to work and back each day, but one is a lot more enjoyable to drive and far less likely to break down in the not-too-distant future.

The $200 suit and the $2,000 suit will both "be a suit" for you to wear so you are "wearing a suit" when needed and not jeans and a t-shirt. But one will be a lot more comfortable and, to the experienced eye, tend to look a lot better on you.

Of course, the best thing to do is figure out one's own needs and budget, and then see how to get the best bang/buck ratio in your price range.

Thinking of a new suit, but these days there's a dearth of local choices. The mens' stores have closed, and the department stores that once sold men's suits don't. To be honest, the price makes me cringe. We no longer wear suits to jury duty or church, so it's only for rare events now, and for my own funeral.

The one thing I beware of in cheap suits is the polyester sheen. You can get a cheap suit that doesn't have it, but still must beware.

FWIW, I'm looking for light gray. Had one once, and it does hold up well in hot weather. Was never game to try a cream colored suit, fearing it will be a dirt and grease magnet. Would like to try a seer sucker suit at least once.

It's been awhile and I figure with the current sales that now is probably a good time to pick one or two up. Looking for one to wear for "casual" weddings since that's what a lot of our FL weddings are and then perhaps one for my formal affairs. Is there any difference between getting a tailored Ralph Lauren from Macy's or suits from Jos A bank?

No gentlemen's wardrobe is complete without a seersucker suit. Since you're in Florida, you'll get a lot use out of them. If your budget is tight you can go with Jos A Bank. They're not great quality... but serviceable suits. A blue seersucker suit jacket can be dressed down with a pair of jeans or navy trousers. Trust me on this... you'll get nothing but compliments next time you wear it to a wedding.

<Is there any difference between getting a tailored Ralph Lauren from Macy's or suits from Jos A bank?>

I have mixed feelings on this one for the OP's stated inquiry. I agree that the more expensive suit is likely to look and feel better when worn. However, I tend to think the real value in a better suit is how well it holds up. How much better it looks over the course of a long day and over multiple wearings. In my experience, a lower quality suit will tend to become wrinkled and sort of bag out, much more quickly than a better suit. For the occasional wedding and unidentified more formal affairs, a freshly pressed up or at least "steamed" for each event, less expensive suit might pretty much do it from a cost effectiveness basis.

Jos A Bank is somewhat of a controversial choice to me. It has been a long time since I have bought a JAB suit and I cannot really speak to what kind of quality they are now, at, say, their top end, which does not seem to be all that expensive. Over the decades, I have had JAB suits that were basically fine and JAB suits that were terrible, that looked awful after just a few wearings.

No dis to eelhc, but I would be careful wearing a seersucker suit to a wedding. To some it would be considered a bold "choice." I actually love seersucker myself and agree that most wardrobes could use a seersucker jacket. I really do not know Florida that well. It could be that seersucker is perfectly acceptable anywhere. My guess is that it would be in Mississippi in the summer.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Suit shopping. Sounds fun! Let's see, I can tell you what I would do. For the casual wedding suit, I'd do seersucker or linen in a light color with minimal lining in the jacket. These days you can get seersucker in solid colors, so you don't have to sport the pinstripped Southern lawyer look if you don't want to. For the formal suit, I'd go with navy or charcoal (I prefer navy, but others will say charcoal) with a conservative style (two-button, notched lapel, no crazy contrast stitching). Since you're in Florida, a light-weight tropical wool would be appropriate, even in the winter. I would prioritize fit, material, and construction over the brand or store. And definitely avoid the urge to buy something just because its on sale. Jos A Bank is a funny creature. It seems to be beloved of men who wear suits because they have to (for office work or whatever) but loathed by men who wear suits because they want to. I just go back to the fit, material, and construction criteria. If the suit is half-canvassed, made from quality wool, and fits well with minimal tailoring, then who cares if its says "Jos A Bank" inside the pocket. Frankly, of the three, fit is most important. You'll look better in a well-fitted fused, polyester suit than an a high-quality wool suit that's too baggy or too tight. Although, the thought of wearing a polyester suit in Florida makes me sweat just thinking about it.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I suggest a brooks brothers navy suit for all occasions. "Casual" suits imo are a waste of money. I would never wear a cream color suit to anything. No offense but seersucker is really for a certain age or just not a youthful look in my book.

My trouble is going to be finding options on hand in 54L. Everyone claims to be able to order or custom tailor one but actual in store stock to touch and feel is pretty slim.

If it's not something you are going to wear several times a year, then I would avoid making a major investment. It also depends on how young you are, as your body type might undergo changes. These days, you can get a tolerable suit at any cookie cutter place for a twice a year type need. This way if someone spills a drink on you, you won't be upset. If you are going to get some mileage from it 5-6+ uses a year, it may be in your best interest to get a casual suit and a formal one. Spend a little more on the formal one.

I suggest a brooks brothers navy suit for all occasions. "Casual" suits imo are a waste of money. I would never wear a cream color suit to anything. No offense but seersucker is really for a certain age or just not a youthful look in my book.

Not sure what your definition of a "Casual" suit is but IMO the navy or charcoal business "power" suits for a wedding, fancy dinner reception, church, etc look more out of place... and yes, I do have both a navy and a charcoal business suits. I never wear them to a wedding reception. I am in the Northeast and most receptions I attend tend to be formal events so I wear my tux to those.

I've not been to Florida recently but I used to travel there quite a bit as well as the Southeast in general. There's a reason why lighter colored seersucker, poplin, linen, tropical wool suits are so popular in the south. Southerns may move at a different pace but they ain't stupid.

I bought my first seersucker over 20 years ago when I was a young man. A basic, blue, classic cut Brooks Brothers suit. To this day, it's the suit I've gotten the most compliments on.... over my more formal/expensive Hickey Freeman suits.

As far as whether to go for the youthful look or not. In my NYC neck of the woods at least, the banker/accountant/lawyer dark suit look is actually more for the crusty old guys like myself. You'll note that BB seersuckers come in both the Madison and Regent fits.

In any case, the OP has to find what works for him.

To me the main thing is to assure that you have a great fit! That means finding a good men’s shop and (in my case) assuring that LOTH is around to supervise (as she has a great eye.)

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Fit is key
no cuffs to the knuckles
suit type is a ymmv of course. To me a clean navy suit says it all.
Im no fashion plate just keep things simple. I personally cant make the matlock look work

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
No dis to eelhc, but I would be careful wearing a seersucker suit to a wedding. To some it would be considered a bold "choice."

Nowadays, one never knows what the bride will want worn to her wedding until the event is being scheduled. Default assumptions are dependent on a lot of factors, including geography and cultural sub-strata.

But a seersucker suit might be useful in fewer difference circumstances compared to some other options.

For the formal suit, I'd go with navy or charcoal (I prefer navy, but others will say charcoal) with a conservative style (two-button, notched lapel, no crazy contrast stitching). Since you're in Florida ...

... since he's in Florida, I'd suggest a mid-grey rather than one of those very dark, sunlight-heat-absorbing suggestions of charcoal or navy.

Jos A Bank is somewhat of a controversial choice to me.
Jos A Bank is a funny creature. It seems to be beloved of men who wear suits because they have to (for office work or whatever) but loathed by men who wear suits because they want to.

Tankerjohn seems to have hit the nail on the head with respect to JAB.

Well, there's nothing "wrong" with you taking that approach for yourself, but I suspect it would be a little too restrictive to suggest to others, especially given the OP's geography.

54L. The selection is going to be, um, slim. Linen blend works well for FL. Steer clear of the Matlock look. Look for a good sale and a great tailor. And spring for a couple new ties in tall.

Here's the thing... I am assuming that if someone is spending time on the haberdashery forum, they are beyond the basic blue suit, white shirt, red tie, cap toes, etc... look. Nothing wrong with the look (I rock it myself quite a bit) but why does anyone need advice to look like every other guy at the wedding, church, restaurant, etc? Why are we all here otherwise?

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
No requirement to always wear a blue suit with a white shirt and red tie. I in fact dont and feel like that is a dated look. But ymmv is true in here too. Very little in fashion is original.

JAB initiated a "custom" suit line a couple of years ago - made to measure similar to the Tom James product but they don't come to you, you still have to go into the store. I haven't purchased one, but back when I wore suits regularly for work I bought MTM because the off-the-rack jackets had too many puckers and bulges, which the mtm process mostly eliminated. Not fully bespoke, but not cookie-cutter either.

Top Bottom