What's new

Suit advice

Hello gents, I am seeking suit advice. Wore suits daily in the thru the early 90's. My wardrobe has disappeared due to a recent weight loss of 55 pounds. Good problem to have, right?

Looking to purchase one and only one suit for use as a guest at weddings, funerals, and the occasional semi formal event. The old standby recommendations of charcoal, black, and gray are somewhat boring. Do you think a navy suit is passable as a one does it all option? Most concerned about the appropriateness during funerals.

What say the gents?

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I'll pile on and agree that Navy is an excellent choice. Navy dresses up or down better than gray or black, in my opinion, and also works better as separates for a little extra versatility. As funerals go, its tough to say. Some people don't want black at their funeral or "celebration of life" or whatever, but others want everything blackity black. I suspect in most cases, the navy suit with a black tie would be perfectly acceptable.

I will take the contra and go with charcoal if you intend to wear it to funerals and other semi formal events. The navy is simply not formal enough and I think of a black suit as for funerals only.

The easy answer is to buy a navy and a charcoal and you will have the waterfront completely covered.

100% wool. 2 buttons, center or double vent. Tailored of course. Always mated w a laundered shirt and shined shoes.
You can always add a bit of pop with the tie and/or a pocket square.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I’ll add in and say navy too. And to echo @Flintstone65 yes well tailored! First thing I notice is the cuffs at mid thumb and wonder how could you. Lol.

I recently attended my mother's funeral and wore a dark navy blue with a very thin silver pin strip, double breasted, with rear split. I can confirm that due to he cut and colour of my attire I did stand out from the other family members, but in a good way. I didn't blend in with the other guests. So in short i say blue is ok for funerals.

Just to add, at the interment of her ashes I wore jeans and sneakers, as my mother always said her ashes should be laid to rest informally.

Reactions: ctr
Stu
Blessings to you and yours re your mother.

Re the navy suit-my comments were more directed at the "standard" 2 button solid navy suit as not being formal enough.

A dark blue pinstripe, double breasted single vent is a horse of a different color.

Having said that, I would humbly submit that if you are only going to own 1 suit it should be single breasted.

I would go as far as to say that two all season weight 100% wool suits really is the floor - (1) charcoal and (2) navy.

3 would be a gray. 4 would be a patterned blue. 5 would be a patterned charcoal. 6 would be a patterned gray. Repeat the pattern at 7 or work in a seasonal (seesucker/tweed) etc.

PS-notably there is a respectful difference of opinion re navy being appropriate, not so with charcoal. Therein is a clue.

YMMV Greatly

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Looking to purchase one and only one suit for use as a guest at weddings, funerals, and the occasional semi formal event. The old standby recommendations of charcoal, black, and gray are somewhat boring.

It's hard to find one suit that works well with summer weddings and winter funerals. The best bet is mid-grey. Not charcoal.

Then if you want to, you can add a navy blazer for a second slightly less formal look.

FWIW, navy suit at a funeral is fine.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I believe navy, charcoal, and dark grey are all acceptable. I recently bought my suit for such matters and opted for charcoal, but first I gave a huge amount of thought to navy. I am that old school guy who went with a 3/2 roll, center vented sack with plain front pants that got 1 3/4" cuffs. For a funeral it looks very sedate with a white point collar shirt and a navy tie with small white polka dots. For a wedding it gets livened up with a colored shirt and a brighter tie.

Decided a single suit would due. Purchased a tan/brown for social occasion, weddings, parties. Also acquired a nice charcoal with subdued red stripe and a black paisley tie for funerals.

Thank you all for the advice, much appreciate.

Now about shoes...do you gents have any advice on good quality shoes? I prefer brown/oxblood oxfords with a rubber sole. Need the added traction these days. Won't be high miliage shoes but do want a decent quality shoe. Recommendation?

Agree a dark blue mid weight wool suit can go most places. Yes get it tailored. Funerals, interview, business meeting.
Pair with white, blue or pin-stripe shirts.
Add silk ties. Red or gold or for fun a funky tie.
👍

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Now about shoes...do you gents have any advice on good quality shoes? I prefer brown/oxblood oxfords with a rubber sole. Need the added traction these days. Won't be high miliage shoes but do want a decent quality shoe. Recommendation?

Well, in the USA the standard recommendations are Allen Edwards and the better (and pricier) Alden. Either will do fine. IMHO, I'd prefer English-made shoes from a good brand like Alfred Sargent (there are other brands that are better and pricier, or ones that are cheaper, but IMHO this brand hits a nice sweet-spot for quality/price).

Any leather-soled shoe can have a "half sole" added by a reputable cobbler at a reasonable cost, so don't worry about the sole per se, just get the half sole added if needed.

1627080562176.png

1627080597399.png

I only wear navy suits. They are certainly no less formal than other colours.

For shoes I would recommend black but I realise in the US people are a lot more open to a brown or a chestnut shoe. For me, when I wear brown shoes with a suit I have very dark brown and don’t wear a tie.

Good call on the Charcoal.

Concur re having a cobbler fit a rubber sole.

Allen Edmond does sell a number of their shoes with rubber soles now.

Ecco's is a brand more modestly priced that has rubber soles as well.

Top Bottom