What's new

Suggestions for aftershave balm

doctordial

my brain goes "thonk"
I've been using Baxter of California aftershave balm for years and I'm down to just about finishing the tube. I like because it's light and absorbs quickly. I'm looking for a less expensive replacement. Something with little to no fragrance that absorbs quickly and is lite. Any suggestions?

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Here in Italy it costs me about €10, but it lasts a long time. And, most importantly, it's the very best balm I have ever used in my +30 years of wet shaving.

20210917_093750.jpg

For me works very simple setup as best. As first Alum Block, wait little bit (short like max 1 min.), rinse, hazel witch and wait more (couple minutes but not so long that my skin would dry) and Cerave Moisturising Cream good amount.

You can just use Cereve face cream or lotion. This is unscented, non-greasy and dermatologist recommended. Best to apply a very small amount to a slightly damp face and rub in. Cost per ounce will be much less than a dedicated shaving product, plus you can use it anywhere on the body.

My skin is getting older and I ride motorcycles a lot. So I have moved away from AS balm to moisturisers....either CeraVe or Cetaphil. Both are excellent...absorb quickly...are much cheaper than most AS Balms....and my skin has never been better!

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I've been using Clinique Moisturizer for Men for many years. It absorbs quicker than most and is virtually scentless. It's not particularly cheap, but a tube lasts me a long time.

doctordial

my brain goes "thonk"
For me works very simple setup as best. As first Alum Block, wait little bit (short like max 1 min.), rinse, hazel witch and wait more (couple minutes but not so long that my skin would dry) and Cerave Moisturising Cream good amount.

I've been using Baxter of California aftershave balm for years and I'm down to just about finishing the tube. I like because it's light and absorbs quickly. I'm looking for a less expensive replacement. Something with little to no fragrance that absorbs quickly and is lite. Any suggestions?

L'Oreal Men Expert Hydra Energetic Anti-Fatigue Moisturizer. I know it doesn't say "aftershave balm", but this stuff is great with a bit of menthol cool and non tackiness and can be found locally at local pharmacy chains, but you don't get much with just a 48g pump.

proxy.php

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have different balms and the best one is CeraVe for my skin, it has Hyaluronic acid that makes a great difference IMO and is scentless so it will not conflict with your aftershave scents.
Buy a balm that has Hyaluronic acid and it will help the skin moisturize, I used Nivea balm for years and it is a good balm and their newest one has Hyaluronic acid in their formulation but not sure if it has arrived in the USA yet.
Z-CeraVe shave products  (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Reactions: EdT
I almost never use aftershave balm, but I have used Captain's Choice a few times since I got some during a Sabbatical a few years ago. Works very well and nicely (and lightly) scented.

Came in handy after my first ATG straight razor shave, needed a big more keeness to the razor.

doctordial

my brain goes "thonk"
All good recommendations. I'm still trying to get everything I can out of this tube of Baxter Of California and I have some Stirling unscented with menthol aftershave balm which works well for me in these cold temperatures. When I run out, I'll definitely refer to this thread. I see some things that I've overlooked that were right under my nose. LITERALLY! Some of these I can get from Walgreen's right up the street from me.

You can just use Cereve face cream or lotion. This is unscented, non-greasy and dermatologist recommended. Best to apply a very small amount to a slightly damp face and rub in. Cost per ounce will be much less than a dedicated shaving product, plus you can use it anywhere on the body.

+1! Great products IME also!! :thumbup::thumbup:

Stirling Unscented balm is excellent and available with or without menthol or with extra menthol (arctic). Be sure to shake it up before using.
Stirling's Glacial Unscented balm is the only one I care to use. It smells of menthol but the scent dissipates quickly. For me, the cool down is the perfect way to end a shave.

I rarely use balms. Recently I got some from Saponifico Annamaria and those are good. Most of the time I just use Cerave after my AS splash dries.

Top Bottom