What's new

Suggestions for a starter Fragrance?

Hello, everyone, I was wondering if I could get some suggestions for basically a starter fragrance. I have the red, green, blue, and orange polo colognes but I think they are starting to go bad. I have not really loved any of them, I was wondering if you guys had any cheap suggestions for me. I'm quite young (17), and from what I can tell I like scents that are not too complex. I have recently tried Stirlings Sandalwood aftershave and I have really enjoyed it but that's the only scent I have noticed I love.
If y'all could help me that would be fantastic.

Do you prefer citrus based scents, woodsy based scents or aquatic based scents? C.O. Bigelow makes an entire scent line that is relatively cheap: Elixir Blue, Black, Green & White. But 2@$19.50 each get a 3rd for free. So for $39 you get 3, 2.5oz colognes. I bought them all for my son when he was 16. Blue is for the summer and has classic aquatic notes, white is very citrusy and perfect for summer, green is very woodsy & piney and black is more suited for night time wear with a very musky oriented scent. They are not overpowering. You can get them at Bath & Body Works. Perfume & Cologne - Long Lasting Women's Perfumes | Bath & Body Works

Mahogany Woods is an excellent fragrance for cooler months from Bath & Body Works. Great value and performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would recommend sampling as many fragrances as you can before blind buying a bottle of something. Any time you are at your local mall, check out Macys, Sephora, Nordstroms, etc. Most of these places will make small samples for you, and you can certainly spray on any tester fragrance they have out. This will give you some idea of what you like and what you don't like. Happy hunting.

Hello, everyone, I was wondering if I could get some suggestions for basically a starter fragrance. I have the red, green, blue, and orange polo colognes but I think they are starting to go bad. I have not really loved any of them, I was wondering if you guys had any cheap suggestions for me. I'm quite young (17), and from what I can tell I like scents that are not too complex. I have recently tried Stirlings Sandalwood aftershave and I have really enjoyed it but that's the only scent I have noticed I love.
If y'all could help me that would be fantastic.
I am similar age, and I enjoy Fine Platinum.

Plain and simple, you have to go for the ones girls your age will like. Sandlewood probably not so much. It's not hard to figure out which ones if you ask your friends, maybe even ask a couple girls instead of a bunch of older guys on a shaving forum. I'm glad you're here and all, but if I were you I'd rather talk to a pretty girl than the guys here.

That being said, here's a list of somewhat younger colognes for you to try:
Versace Eau Fraiche
Perry Ellis Red
Dior Savage
YSL L'Homme
Ambercrombie & Fitch Fierce
Mount Blanc Legend
Versace Pour Homme
Davidoff Cool Water

What you do now is you go into your nearest Sephora and smell them. The ones you like just ask for free samples of. The store will give you up to three samples a day (it's their policy). I really like this about Sephora as many department stores are getting stingy with samples. Personally this works great for me because the samples will likely last you about a week each. I like this because after a week I'll know if a fragrance is something I want to buy. It's way too easy to buy something and find out later that you don't care for it as much as you thought you did.

Another place that you can get free samples easily is Nordstrom. The one by me puts out empty sample vials and you can fill them yourself.

Once you find something you really like do know that you can likely find a bottle at a much more reasonable price on a sites like Fragrancenet.com. I hate to tell you to get samples from Sephora or Nordstrom and buy it online for a cheaper price but you're young and broke, so feel free to do just that. I admit I do the same thing myself, but on occasion I do buy colognes at the higher price from Sephora or Nordstrom to help them out as well.

Try a lot of different ones and have fun with it.

Ask some girls your age what they like on a guy and wear that. They are likely to know. Guys your age will not. I do not have any suggestions. Le Man, maybe, but that may be completely out of style at this point. And go easy on whatever you wear!

Also, unless you've been storing your colognes on a hot radiator, they aren't going bad. That's just what they smell like. Also, unlike the others, I'd say don't worry so much what the girls at school like. Chances are they will all name the same 2 or 3 anyway, and at age 17, pretty much everyone uses too much of it anyway.

Save your money up, and go to the mall and test out a bunch. It might take a few trips. I find that if I sniff more than 4 or 5, they all start to blend together.

Also, unless you've been storing your colognes on a hot radiator, they aren't going bad. That's just what they smell like. Also, unlike the others, I'd say don't worry so much what the girls at school like. Chances are they will all name the same 2 or 3 anyway, and at age 17, pretty much everyone uses too much of it anyway.

Save your money up, and go to the mall and test out a bunch. It might take a few trips. I find that if I sniff more than 4 or 5, they all start to blend together.

Maybe they aren't going bad, but I think they are around 4-5 years old.
Yeah, I went to the mall on Saturday and got a couple of samples. Now I just need to try more and find what I really enjoy.
I think I will save up to buy a good quality cologne that I enjoy rather than settling on an alright one right now.

I'm venturing into Captain Obvious territory here, but the scent of your other daily hygiene/care products should be taken into consideration when choosing a cologne. You don't want conflicting smells that don't blend well.

Maybe they aren't going bad, but I think they are around 4-5 years old.
Yeah, I went to the mall on Saturday and got a couple of samples. Now I just need to try more and find what I really enjoy.
I think I will save up to buy a good quality cologne that I enjoy rather than settling on an alright one right now.

What you like is always the best. And it may not even be that expensive... or at least not super expensive. Royall has a pretty good collection of simple scents that tend to be in the 30-50 dollar range. Finding a place that has them to test can be tough. You might even find a sampler around this time of year.

What dfoulk said in response 8, first paragraph.

Watch some you tube frag review videos, especially, say, Jeremy on Fragrances.

Here is Jeremy's take on his top ten frags for teenage guys.
I think this was posted in early 2017 so things may have evolved since then. I think what he says largely makes sense.

I am not sure about Ultra Male on his list. I would think that Le Male was sort of played out by now, but Ultra Male as I understand it adds a big pear note and is well-liked.

Molecule 01 is an interesting pick. I think if one wanted to try that, one should just order one of the clones off ebay. For that matter, I really like the clones of Molecule 03 and 04, too, and if Molecule 01 works for a younger guy. Hard to over apply. Molecule 02 is something else. I would not bother.

Top Bottom