What's new

Suggest a Must-Have Razor

I already vintage, a slant bar, open comb, mild, aggressive, and adjustable. What's a must-have razor for the guy that has most of the boxes checked already?

If you're interested in AC razors and the price doesn't scare you, the Atelier Durdan La Faulx is the best I've found. It is my number one among all AC, DE, or injector razors. If you want to or need to spend a bit less, the Alpha Claymore Evolution is close, I'd rate it about 90% compared to the La Faulx. If you just want to give AC razors a try, the Razorock Hawk V3 is a great value.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I am not sure if you want to stick with DE razors but if not then how about a Schick Injector or an Ever Ready SE to add variety?

20240120_111317~2.jpg

1679035985349.png

If you want to experiment but stick with DE blades, there are some nice 2-in-1 razors out there:
  • Sheild has an adjustable that changes the gap and exposure on each side (increases one side while decreasing the other)
  • Seygus Zepplin has 2 different gaps on each side, plus it smiles at you
  • Yaqi Trifecta comes with 3 shims to alter the blade gap
  • Everyday Shaving Stinger is mild SB on one side, aggressive OC on the other
And for something different, I can recommend the 3D printed "Adjustable" Hybrid Double Edge safety razor by Superior Cuts. There is a thread about it Superior Cuts 3-D Printed Razor - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/superior-cuts-3-d-printed-razor.647160/

And, not for the faint of heart, there is the Mag T Delta (it shaves better than it looks, and it sharpens your blades for you too).

DSC03520.JPG

Last edited:
I second the Blackbird comment. If you want to explore AC, might I again suggest Shield, for $120 you get a very well made titanium AC. Then if you don't like AC you're not in too deep. They also make a DE razor that takes an AC on one side and a half DE on the other (should have mentioned it in my previous comment), that way if you don't like AC you still have a SE :letterk1:

1711720513712.png

I don't believe in a "must have" razor. That said, I have been gifted a few razors that are way over my budget that I would never let go of. They will be gifted to my kids when the time comes to meet Jesus face to face. I get as good of a shave from my 1940s (date could be off) open comb, my vintage straight razors, and my modern zamak razors (gave those away) as I do from the stainless steel ones I have been gifted. I am spoiled with the high quality of the stainless steel, but they don't shave better. I just happen to really like high quality tools. It is like the difference between the Stanley planes I own and the higher end Le Valley or Lie-Nelson plane.

Goatrope

Eccentric and destitute of reason
How about an AC safety razor.

Sharp and stiff blades result in close and comfortable shaves.
At the risk of sounding like a moron, what does AC stand for?

I know it can't be Alternating Current unless there is some kind of new electrified safety razor. I'm doing good to know what DE stands for.

Last edited:
Top Bottom